How does it compare to the Reconstructed Workprint version?
Hey Neon! I like ADM's version, too! Check them both out and see!
Here's some examples of things that are unique to this edit:
1. Reconstructed Workprint (RW) has the longer version of the Irulan Prologue. In the Third Stage Edition (TSE), we didn't reintegrate it.
2. TSE digitally recolors the eyes blue.
3. TSE shows the Emporer removing his cloak.
4. Navigator scene: TSE has the theatrical music and ambient background sound. This is true for many more scenes throughout the movie.
5. RW has the Extended Cut music when the Navigator leaves and Mohiam reports back to the Emporer. TSE music is from a TV version so the placement of music is different.
6. TSE has the extended dialogue (reshuffled a bit) during the fighter robot scene.
7. RW has the extended shot of Duke Leto prepping himself in the scene where Paul first arrives to talk to him. TSE doesn't use this shot. RW also uses the Extended Cut music here. TSE uses the theatrical music (Leto's theme), but retains the extra dialogue.
8. RW uses the theatrical version of Leto sealing the Kanly tube. TSE features some of the footage of Leto prepping the note itself (without the TV narration).
9. When the Baron says "This is what I'll do to the Duke and his family." TSE uses a dissolve to transition to the next scene.
10. TSE does not show the Extended Cut shot of the Atredies ship before showing Leto, Jessica, and Paul walking to stand in front of it, because this shot shows them already standing there before they approach it!
11. RW uses some of the Romallo prologue narrative as a voiceover when the Fremen walk up and examine Jessica and Paul with binoculars. We simply show the Fremen examining them without any narration (no TV narration, either), as it was in the script.
12. After Gurney plays his baliset, TSE removes the sound of applause that was heard on the TV version, because the widescreen clearly shows that nobody is clapping! It was just dubbed in by the TV editors.
13. During the extra footage of Paul talking to Jessica about his waking dream, TSE removes the line of "I curse the day you awakened this within me." Thus, our version reads more like the 7th draft of the script. We removed this line because we felt this line takes away from his subsequent statement "Father, I promise someday the Sleeper will awaken."
14. TSE reintergrates the scene of Paul crying (aka "giving water to the dead").
15. TSE doesn't show the second TV take of Romallo saying the prophesy. This was just redundant television time filler.
16. The scene of the water being extracted from Jamis's corpse is placed after the shot of the Fremen carrying Jamis's body in TSE. All other versions (including the Extended Cut DVD) place this scene before it!
17. During the Jamis corpse water extraction scene, the TSE trims the embarrassing editing glitch where we see a Fremen reach up to a control switch twice.
18. When Paul sees the Fremen cache of "millions of decaliters" of water, TSE retains the theatrical dissolves. The TV version mangles these dissolves for no reason.
19. TSE restores some of the deleted dialogue of Rabban talking about Leit-Kynes before ripping up his Fremen suit.
20. As stated above, when the Baron enters to speak to the Emporer, TSE uses the theatrical closeup of the Emporer rather than the TV POV shot, as this spoils the surprise of the decapitated Rabban.
21. TSE modifies the shot of the Emporer's reaction when Thufir commits suicide by pulling out his own heartplug, because it's the same wincing reaction shot we see later when Paul kills Feyd.
There's tons more differences, but there's no need to spoil ALL the surprises. Check them both out!