Sign In

Darth Maul returns!

Author
Time

***SPOILERS IN THREAD TITLE!!****

But if you watch the show you already know, and if you don't watch the show you don't care.

Darth Maul's coming back in "The Clone Wars" cartoon.

Dave Filloni, head TCW dude said this:

“...fans can expect Darth Maul to reignite his rivalry with Obi-Wan Kenobi.” 

“There’s a lot of ground that has not been covered as far as Darth Maul is concerned, so there’s a lot of room to grow with him,”

 

Does Maul REALLY have a rivalry with Obi? They met once, never spoke, and Obi killed him. Does Obi have a rivalry with Walrus Man from the cantina, and every battle droid he ever killed?

And as for room to grow... Maul has no background, no discernable personality, and no character traits other than looking awesome. If they revealed he loved to sing and dance, and was adopted and raised by an alcoholic Ewok, it wouldn't contradict anything. He has nothing but room to grow, and like Boba Fett, everything they do with him will lesson whatever mystique he had.

Author
Time

walking_carpet said:

I thought they specifically had him cut in half to leave no doubt about his death and to quash any hopes of seeing him again?

 In a serial, shared universe storytelling, NO ONE is ever killed well enough to not be brought back by a future writer.

Author
Time

Maul's brother was featured in an earlier episode I think so there might be a bit of character background existing. I thought that was reaching but this is a bit much. Still, they brought back Boba Fett three decades ago and most people don't seem to mind that very much.

The Secret History of Star Wars -- now available on Amazon.com!

"When George went back and put new creatures into the original Star Wars, I find that disturbing. It’s a revision of history. That bothers me."

--James Cameron, Entertainment Weekly, April 2010

Author
Time

But Boba Fett didn't get killed...or are you referring to something other than ROTJ?

Author
Time
 (Edited)

I don't watch CW and have never been interested, but I read this in an EW article:

 

Well, mostly. Filoni acknowledges that the order to resurrect the Sith Lord came from George Lucas himself, who became more interested in his Phantom Menace creation while developing Savage Opress for the last season of The Clone Wars

 

Why am I not surprised? Just plain hilarious at this point. Obviously Georgie boy wants to increase fan interest in Darth Maul to boost ticket sales for the 3D release of TPM.

The guy is such a hack.

“Grow up. These are my Disney's movies, not yours.”

Author
Time

In a world where one of the characters in the series is a sack of organs from a former soldier hooked up to a robot, I think Boba Fett and Darth Maul are both strongly implied by the films' treatment to be dead but simultaneously contradicted by the internal logic of the series' technology as not having to stay that way.

The Secret History of Star Wars -- now available on Amazon.com!

"When George went back and put new creatures into the original Star Wars, I find that disturbing. It’s a revision of history. That bothers me."

--James Cameron, Entertainment Weekly, April 2010

Author
Time

zombie84 said:

In a world where one of the characters in the series is a sack of organs from a former soldier hooked up to a robot, I think Boba Fett and Darth Maul are both strongly implied by the films' treatment to be dead but simultaneously contradicted by the internal logic of the series' technology as not having to stay that way.

Apologies but I'm still confused.  Are you saying we can assume Fett didn't bite the sand in ROTJ?  Is this an EU thing?

Author
Time

georgec said:

I don't watch CW and have never been interested, but I read this in an EW article:

 

Well, mostly. Filoni acknowledges that the order to resurrect the Sith Lord came from George Lucas himself, who became more interested in his Phantom Menace creation while developing Savage Opress for the last season of The Clone Wars

 

Why am I not surprised? Just plain hilarious at this point. Obviously Georgie boy wants to increase fan interest in Darth Maul to boost ticket sales for the 3D release of TPM.

The guy is such a hack.

Lol @ "Savage Opress"! Just terrible

Author
Time
Isn't this old news? He was revealed alive at the end of the yellow Maul episode, wasn't he? Anyway, know we can have Episode VII, if Star Wars is the tragedy of Darth Vader, just bring him back from the dead and SW can live on (and sell more toys).
Author
Time

walking_carpet said:

I thought they specifically had him cut in half to leave no doubt about his death and to quash any hopes of seeing him again?

As soon as he got chopped I thought "they'll bring him back with robot legs." I actually thought this could be a cool way to show an early version of the tech that would create Darth Vader. I certainly didn't think he was gone for good. And wasn't it, at the time, assumed that he would be the Darth Vader of the PT?

Ray’s Lounge
Biggs in ANH edit idea
ROTJ opening edit idea

Author
Time

TV's Frink said:

zombie84 said:

In a world where one of the characters in the series is a sack of organs from a former soldier hooked up to a robot, I think Boba Fett and Darth Maul are both strongly implied by the films' treatment to be dead but simultaneously contradicted by the internal logic of the series' technology as not having to stay that way.

Apologies but I'm still confused.  Are you saying we can assume Fett didn't bite the sand in ROTJ?  Is this an EU thing?

In the comics since the 1980s Boba Fett escaped the sarlac in ROTJ and went on to have many more adventures.

The Secret History of Star Wars -- now available on Amazon.com!

"When George went back and put new creatures into the original Star Wars, I find that disturbing. It’s a revision of history. That bothers me."

--James Cameron, Entertainment Weekly, April 2010

Author
Time

georgec said:


The guy is such a hack.


Hack is too light a word to describe what Luca$ has become.

“I am a writer. Therefore, I am not sane.”

― Edgar Allan Poe

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Call me when they bring Chewbacca back, from his death in the new Jedi disorder .

Author
Time

The telly audience have Grievous (who should have been Maul IMHO) they've had pseudoMaul AKA brother of Maul and now they have Maul back from the dead (presumably rubbing shoulders with the other resurrected Mauls of EUland).

It's really getting like Dallas with multiple Miss Ellies, Bobby Ewing in the shower and JR not committing suicide after having a crazy dream about never being born but shooting a mirror instead.

I keep expecting Padme to be abducted by Cylons. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6Dp2OfIT_M

Author
Time

Bingowings said:


It's really getting like Dallas with multiple Miss Ellies, Bobby Ewing in the shower and JR not committing suicide after having a crazy dream about never being born but shooting a mirror instead.
Spoiler Alert!

Author
Time

I just hope Dave does a good job with it. So far he's done good work on the show and handled Lucas' dumb requests well.

Keep Circulating the Tapes.

END OF LINE

(It hasn’t happened yet)

Author
Time

TV's Frink said:

zombie84 said:

In a world where one of the characters in the series is a sack of organs from a former soldier hooked up to a robot, I think Boba Fett and Darth Maul are both strongly implied by the films' treatment to be dead but simultaneously contradicted by the internal logic of the series' technology as not having to stay that way.

Apologies but I'm still confused.  Are you saying we can assume Fett didn't bite the sand in ROTJ?  Is this an EU thing?

 Only if it exists to you. And if it does, you get a better understanding of who Darth Maul was: A Zabrak from Iridonia, Tattooed his face, been an apprentice since he was a youngling and the rest of his origin is gone. REad the EU you find out about his under cover missions...If you believe in it that is.

Aside from that, this is a stupid idea. And Obi-Wan only fought him once so no rivalry exists. This is alomost as bad as GL saying Jango Fett wasn't a Mandolorian.

Author
Time

Hooray ! The most boring and stupid villain comes back ! Such a brilliant idea !

Who cares he was cut in 2 halves, he's back baby !

Author
Time
 (Edited)

WhatsMyName said:

This is alomost as bad as GL saying Jango Fett wasn't a Mandolorian.

Mandalorian*

But yeah. Lucas has two characters on screen that are connected with the Mandalorians, but aren't actually Mandalorian? What a useless device that is.

This is kind of a big failing of his, actually. He's claimed to be a merchandising genius, but he creates two characters that are visually very interesting and then he goes and kills them off in a movie or two's time.

I suppose that you could argue that it only adds to their mystique (which it obviously does) but then he lacks the conviction to stick with his original intent (which I guess is not very surprising) and then brings them back later on. Even though he's had nothing to do with Boba aside from saying he wouldn't have killed him had he known how popular he'd become. Not that that stopped the EU from going very long after ROTJ before they brought him back.

Granted, I believe Katie did most of the writing/conceptualization behind the Savage Oppress/Asajj Ventress storyline and thus probably shoulders the blame for Maul's return...

Nevertheless, I'm very interested to see how it plays out, but I am sure that those episodes will enter into my canon in the "Infinities" section. =P

 

I'm kind of shocked that Frink doesn't know of Boba Fett's survival, I gotta say.

Keep Circulating the Tapes.

END OF LINE

(It hasn’t happened yet)

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Only one word can describe how epically crap an idea this is. This is a shit idea (apologies for use of swearing, generally I think it degrading, but I was at a loss to think of a word appropriate.

Maul was killed off too early, and his death was awful - if Obi-Wan "had the high-ground" what on earth did Maul have? It would of been better if Maul's lightsaber had just stopped working when it was chopped in two, instead of magically carrying on working...

Somewhat off-topic... I've hard good reports of the clone wars, but some of the plots are awful. Still moment's like this; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnZaNNY_arU are much better Yoda moments than anything in the PT films. I just wish in Episode III Yoda and Sidious had a Force Fight, Yoda is about to win then Vader (in suit) turns up, and Yoda has to retreat... Would have been so much better!

"Love is the only reality and it is not a mere sentiment. It is the ultimate truth that lies at the heart of creation." - Rabindranath Tagore

"Many a doctrine is like a window pane. We see truth through it but it divides us from truth." - Kahlil Gibran

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Tyrphanax said:

I'm kind of shocked that Frink doesn't know of Boba Fett's survival, I gotta say.

Why?  My SW world consists of the six movies and a few episodes of the Clone Wars cartoons.  I don't even care that Boba Fett is a Mandaronian or whatever.  To me he's a dude in a suit.