Sign In

Dark Empire (Fan Web Series)

Author
Time
 (Edited)

If you’re a fan of the EU and wish we could have seen some of it adapted for the screen. This just might be for you.

An animator is working on adapting the Dark Horse comic Dark Empire as an animated web series.

He’s just released the first episode a few days ago:
Dark Empire Episode 1: The Destiny of a Jedi

As a bonus here’s also:
Dark Empire series trailer
Summary of the events between ROTJ and DE

Help finish ROTJ: Revisited!

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Watched it a couple days ago. I like the quality of the background animation, but I’m not a fan of the Nelvana-inspired character designs. They don’t fit the style or tone of Dark Empire.

TRANSMODERNISM > POSTMODERNISM > MODERNISM > PREMODERNISM

Author
Time
 (Edited)

I saw a little of it and will most likely watch the whole thing later. Similarly to the Heir to the Empire series being made I think its really cool that someone is making these fan films in the first place, but I have to agree with Duracell that the Nelvana-style animation seem like a really odd choice for Dark Empire. There is a really short anime-inspired animation based on Dark Empire which makes much more sense stylistically, though I’d prefer if someone just tried to imitate the Cam Kennedy art as best as possible. Overall though, I’m just glad to see that there’s people out there who’s paying tribute to the classic old EU stories.

Author
Time

I am not a massvie fan of the comics, or knowledgable about them, but I really enjoyed viewing that. Thankyou Tobar!

Author
Time

Don’t thank me, I had nothing to do with it. Just thought I’d share!

Help finish ROTJ: Revisited!

Author
Time

I really dug this , I noticed the animation style did change closer to the end of the video . In the comments , the creator of this said he improved as he went along so I hope he does the whole 6 issues and goes back and remakes the first half of the first part . I loved Dark Empire when it came out and would have loved it if they had made it into a film at that time when the actors were the right age to play the parts . Dark Empire 2 and Empires End sucked in my opinion though, so just the original Dark Empire for me thank you.

https://screamsinthevoid.deviantart.com/

Author
Time

screams in the void said:

Dark Empire 2 and Empires End sucked in my opinion though, so just the original Dark Empire for me thank you.

I think they could be salvaged, but it would require a fair bit of rewriting. Ditching Palpatine and making the Dark Side Elite the main villains would be great for starters.

TRANSMODERNISM > POSTMODERNISM > MODERNISM > PREMODERNISM

Author
Time

Fantastic stuff, and it reminds me of why I liked DE so much. ! Young Han and Leia fighting together! Leia using the Force in a non-stupid way. A great design aesthetic too - really Star Warsy.

I am not ashamed to admit this brought a tear to my eye.

“It is only through interaction, through decision and choice, through confrontation, physical or mental, that the Force can grow within you.”
-Kreia, Jedi Master and Sith Lord

Author
Time
 (Edited)

theprequelsrule said:

Fantastic stuff, and it reminds me of why I liked DE so much. ! Young Han and Leia fighting together! Leia using the Force in a non-stupid way. A great design aesthetic too - really Star Warsy.

But it undermines ROTJ. And ROTS. Which is entirely bad, except when Disney does it.

TRANSMODERNISM > POSTMODERNISM > MODERNISM > PREMODERNISM

Author
Time

DuracellEnergizer said:

theprequelsrule said:

Fantastic stuff, and it reminds me of why I liked DE so much. ! Young Han and Leia fighting together! Leia using the Force in a non-stupid way. A great design aesthetic too - really Star Warsy.

But it undermines ROTJ. And ROTS. Which is entirely bad, except when Disney does it.

Somewhat, but for me ROTJ was about the redemption of Vader and Luke becoming a Jedi, so DE does not completely undermine it. Now if you add in the PT nonsense about prophecies, the Chosen One, bringing balance to the force and all that garbage then, yes if does undermine ROTJ.

“It is only through interaction, through decision and choice, through confrontation, physical or mental, that the Force can grow within you.”
-Kreia, Jedi Master and Sith Lord

Author
Time

DuracellEnergizer said:

screams in the void said:

Dark Empire 2 and Empires End sucked in my opinion though, so just the original Dark Empire for me thank you.

I think they could be salvaged, but it would require a fair bit of rewriting. Ditching Palpatine and making the Dark Side Elite the main villains would be great for starters.

I only read those recently. Yikes. WTF happened for it to go off the rails like that?! The Galaxy Gun?!!?

“It is only through interaction, through decision and choice, through confrontation, physical or mental, that the Force can grow within you.”
-Kreia, Jedi Master and Sith Lord

Author
Time

theprequelsrule said:

DuracellEnergizer said:

theprequelsrule said:

Fantastic stuff, and it reminds me of why I liked DE so much. ! Young Han and Leia fighting together! Leia using the Force in a non-stupid way. A great design aesthetic too - really Star Warsy.

But it undermines ROTJ. And ROTS. Which is entirely bad, except when Disney does it.

Somewhat, but for me ROTJ was about the redemption of Vader and Luke becoming a Jedi, so DE does not completely undermine it. Now if you add in the PT nonsense about prophecies, the Chosen One, bringing balance to the force and all that garbage then, yes if does undermine ROTJ.

Truth be told, I don’t really care if it really does undermine either film as I don’t care for either. DE is what ROTJ should’ve been.

TRANSMODERNISM > POSTMODERNISM > MODERNISM > PREMODERNISM

Author
Time

I really enjoyed it and frankly I just appreciate that it exists! Weirdly though I kinda preferred the animation in the teaser the guy released - sure it was uglier in a way, but more stylistic and weird in an endearing way. Liked how it turned out nonetheless.

Author
Time

Smashing animation, always loved the comic although not the idea that the emperor returns from the dead.

Author
Time

This is a creative use of the old artwork and audio version with the obvious limited budget for animation, kudos.

Yub Nub for life

Author
Time

I liked the idea that it was Luke’s destiny to go into the Dark Side, learn it’s secrets, and then come out of it stronger for that knowledge. If he is going to rebuild the Jedi Order it would make sense for him to want to know how a Jedi could fall in the first place, yes? I also like that he is only able to come back because of his connection to Leia; attachments are a good thing and not something to be avoided.

“It is only through interaction, through decision and choice, through confrontation, physical or mental, that the Force can grow within you.”
-Kreia, Jedi Master and Sith Lord

Author
Time

I refuse to let this thread leave the main page until all forum members and lurkers watch the web series!

“It is only through interaction, through decision and choice, through confrontation, physical or mental, that the Force can grow within you.”
-Kreia, Jedi Master and Sith Lord

Author
Time

Sorry I won’t watch it: I find the style awful. To me it destroys completely the tone of the comic book. Why couldn’t they use a style in line with the style of the comic book?

Han: Hey Lando! You kept your promise, right? Not a scratch?
Lando: Well, what’s left of her isn’t scratched. All the scratched parts got knocked off along the way.
Han (exasperated): Knocked off?!

Author
Time

The first shot from Episode 2 is now up. The art style is certainly looking more refined (and closer to the comics IIRC).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-SFVHLRorE

“It is only through interaction, through decision and choice, through confrontation, physical or mental, that the Force can grow within you.”
-Kreia, Jedi Master and Sith Lord

Author
Time

DuracellEnergizer said:

theprequelsrule said:

The first shot from Episode 2 is now up. The art style is certainly looking more refined (and closer to the comics IIRC).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-SFVHLRorE

That’s much better. Got a Kirbyesque vibe to it.

It does! I’m more excited for the next ep. of this series than ROS.

“It is only through interaction, through decision and choice, through confrontation, physical or mental, that the Force can grow within you.”
-Kreia, Jedi Master and Sith Lord

Author
Time

Need to keep this near the top of the first page!

“It is only through interaction, through decision and choice, through confrontation, physical or mental, that the Force can grow within you.”
-Kreia, Jedi Master and Sith Lord