I’m currently working on making a set but using a set of cleaner, more modern artwork for the cases and slip covers. I got 3 copies of the Skyfall 007 Steelbook version ($5.99 at Best Buy at the moment great deal) and am going to strip the paint off and clean up the metal and will print my artwork on a transparency film and use a transfer medium to slap a nice design onto the steelbooks then cover with a light clear coat. The Despecialized Editions are definitely deserving of some steel, great work Harmy & friends. And of course I have to make 3/4 coverage slipcovers for each so they don’t get scratched to hell. As far as I’ve seen, no one has attempted this, but if I’m wrong and someone has, could you tell me what you used to strip the artwork off a steelbook please? Also anyone who has an idea is more than welcome to offer one up 😃
had I only read your post a little bit sooner! I basically had the same idea, I only didnt know of foto transfer. So what I ended up doing is getting me some Steelbooks (“Transporter 3” ones for 3€ a pice; you could make a case (see what I did there 😉) those werent even deserving of beeing turned into Star Wars cases) and sanding the paint of with some wet metal sandpaper. 1€ for one A4 format sheet; I spend some 12€ one them incl. shipping and ended up having quite some leftovers. I found the 600 grain size to work best. It got the paint of quickly enough and didnt scratch the case too bad. I finished with some 3000 grain size paper, but to be quite honest, I dont think that was even really necessary. 1000 should be sufficient even if you transfer the paint directly onto it. Either way its quite some work; be as meticulous as you want. And I should add that I have no experience doing stuff like that whatsoever. You might even wanna use some polish off some sort, but thats obviously up to you.
I then resized the cover art to fit a steelbook cover template I found in a youtube video and because I thought it might look good, I “added some transparency” to the pictures beforehand. Essentially what I did was delete the white and gray colors using GIMP2. I then printed all of it out on self-adhesive transparent foto paper and just put it on my cases as is. I designed some “interior artwork” as well; pretty easy to do with the template i already had and makes it look so much better!
Anyway, here are my results:
I will probably try that transfer stuff though, as I can simply take of the foto paper whenever I want. Thats what I had in mind to begin with, I just didnt think (or google) it through XD
And I have too say, that I am quite pleased with my cases and a little proud of myself as well. 😃
Big thanks of course to phildesfr for providing all the artwork and the BluRays too. Couldnt have done it without that.