Sign In

Clone Wars viewing order

Author
Time

Anyone tried this viewing order for Clone Wars?

  1. A New Hope (Despecialized)
  2. The Empire Strikes Back (Despecialized)
  3. The Phantom Menace (Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan vs Darth Maul ONLY)
  4. Attack of the Clones (HAL9000 edit)
  5. Cat and Mouse
  6. The Clone Wars Movie (only first 25-30 minutes)
  7. Clone Cadets
  8. Rookies
  9. Lair of Greivous
  10. Storm over Ryloth
  11. Innocents of Ryloth
  12. Liberty on Ryloth
  13. Bounty Hunters
  14. Landing at Point Rain
  15. Weapons Factory
  16. Legacy of Terror
  17. Brain Invaders
  18. The Mandalore Plot
  19. Voyage of Temptation
  20. Duchess of Mandalore
  21. Death Trap
  22. R2 Come Home
  23. Lethal Trackdown
  24. ARC Troopers
  25. Hostage Crisis
  26. Nightsisters
  27. Monster
  28. Witches of the Mist
  29. The Citadel
  30. Counterattack
  31. Citadel Rescue
  32. Nomad Droids
  33. Darkness on Umbara
  34. The General
  35. Plan of Dissent
  36. Carnage of Krell
  37. Deception
  38. Friends and Enemies
  39. The Box
  40. Crisis on Naboo
  41. Massacre
  42. Bounty
  43. Brothers
  44. Revenge
  45. A War on Two Fronts
  46. Front Runners
  47. The Soft War
  48. Tipping Points
  49. The Gathering
  50. Revival
  51. Eminence
  52. Shades of Reason
  53. The Lawless
  54. Sabotage
  55. The Jedi Who Knew Too Much
  56. To Catch a Jedi
  57. The Wrong Jedi
  58. The Unknown
  59. Conspiracy
  60. Fugitive
  61. Orders
  62. The Lost One
  63. Voices
  64. Destiny
  65. Sacrifice
  66. Revenge of the Sith (L8wrtr edit)
  67. Return of the Jedi (Despecialized)
Author
Time

So, how many months would it take to watch in that order?

“Okay, I’m goin’, takin’ off. See ya… bye….” — Chip Douglas

“This concludes our broadcast day. Click.” — Chip Douglas

Author
Time

Please try this order:

  1. Despecialized Original Trilogy
  2. For newcomers or veterans who haven’t watched the prequels in a while, something that shows why the prequels suck
  3. The Force Awakens
  4. Star Wars Rebels
  5. The to-be-released Star Wars movies when they are released

The quality of the prequels is neccessary to understand the story decisions of Rebels and the Force Awakens.

It seems strange to skip all prequels, but they are inherently flawed even if they are enjoyable and improved by fans. The original trilogy thrived on its mysteries.

When the Clone Wars was spoken of by Luke and Obi Wan, the reference was organic. The characters acted like if events in a universe were real and the Clone Wars were organically left unexplained and to the imagination. If they explained it, it would be like two adults explaining World War II to each other mid-conversation. The world was immersive and seemed real.

Darth Vader is the ultimate example of less-is-more. The character is so evil that it is extremely difficult to give him both good motivations, agency, and a role as a protagonist, but we do see how deeply he was affected by his past. He’s a half machine monster who could not believe in himself, refers to himself in the third person, and attacks his own son.

If the movies were released chronologically, there would not be any problems like this and the prequels could be viewed, but they weren’t.

Author
Time

Ah yes, I too like to view The Clone Wars without actually viewing The Clone Wars. Saves a lot of time it does.

Author
Time

CourtlyHades296 said:

Anyone tried this viewing order for Clone Wars?

  1. A New Hope (Despecialized)
  2. The Empire Strikes Back (Despecialized)
  3. The Phantom Menace (Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan vs Darth Maul ONLY)
  4. Attack of the Clones (HAL9000 edit)
  5. Cat and Mouse
  6. The Clone Wars Movie (only first 25-30 minutes)
  7. Clone Cadets
  8. Rookies
  9. Lair of Greivous
  10. Storm over Ryloth
  11. Innocents of Ryloth
  12. Liberty on Ryloth
  13. Bounty Hunters
  14. Landing at Point Rain
  15. Weapons Factory
  16. Legacy of Terror
  17. Brain Invaders
  18. The Mandalore Plot
  19. Voyage of Temptation
  20. Duchess of Mandalore
  21. Death Trap
  22. R2 Come Home
  23. Lethal Trackdown
  24. ARC Troopers
  25. Hostage Crisis
  26. Nightsisters
  27. Monster
  28. Witches of the Mist
  29. The Citadel
  30. Counterattack
  31. Citadel Rescue
  32. Nomad Droids
  33. Darkness on Umbara
  34. The General
  35. Plan of Dissent
  36. Carnage of Krell
  37. Deception
  38. Friends and Enemies
  39. The Box
  40. Crisis on Naboo
  41. Massacre
  42. Bounty
  43. Brothers
  44. Revenge
  45. A War on Two Fronts
  46. Front Runners
  47. The Soft War
  48. Tipping Points
  49. The Gathering
  50. Revival
  51. Eminence
  52. Shades of Reason
  53. The Lawless
  54. Sabotage
  55. The Jedi Who Knew Too Much
  56. To Catch a Jedi
  57. The Wrong Jedi
  58. The Unknown
  59. Conspiracy
  60. Fugitive
  61. Orders
  62. The Lost One
  63. Voices
  64. Destiny
  65. Sacrifice
  66. Revenge of the Sith (L8wrtr edit)
  67. Return of the Jedi (Despecialized)

Yes, I have tried that exact order. Well, more or less, except I prefer to watch the first 17 minutes of the Clone Wars movie, then watch the Clone Cadets, then return to the next 13 minutes of the Clone Wars movie.

TV’s Frink said:

I would put this in my sig if I weren’t so lazy.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

BillionaireHobo287 said:

Please try this order:

  1. Despecialized Original Trilogy
  2. For newcomers or veterans who haven’t watched the prequels in a while, something that shows why the prequels suck
  3. The Force Awakens
  4. Star Wars Rebels
  5. The to-be-released Star Wars movies when they are released

blablabla

Aren’t you off topic ? There are many other threads to whine about the PT and how they are the worst thing that happened to humanity since Hitler, and this is not the point of this thread (and I’m still stying to figure out what’s worse: seing a “little boy” Vader in TPM or the main protagonists of the OT looking like old hobos in TFA…). Anyway, let’s stay focused on topic.

@ CourtlyHades296
So: I’ve watched the complete GCI series a few month ago. I wasn’t very convinced by the show, which is way too long, hence a selection of what to watch and in what order can be quite useful indeed. I’ve selected 35 episodes based on their quality and material that feed Anakin’s turn and that bridge the PT to the OT (Chewie’s very good cameo, Tarkin’s episodes, Anakin is a cunning warrior and a good friend, etc.) and to “Rebels” (the best of Ahsoka, the best of Maul). I have also kept a few comic episodes with 3PO and R2, none with Jar Jar, and I’ve “deleted” almost everything involving pointless developpements (Mandalore, Maul and Mandalore, Count Dooku and Grievous fooling around, etc.). Here is my best of list, that ends with the 4-part Ahsoka-centric (the best way to finish the show) :

01 (2.16) - Cat and Mouse
02 (1.16) - The Hidden Enemy
03 (1.02) - Rising Malevolence
04 (1.03) - Shadow of Malevolence
05 (1.04) - Destroy Malevolence
06 (1.05) - Rookies
07 (1.06) - Downfall of a Droid
08 (1.07) - Duel of the Droids
09 (1.09) - Cloak of Darkness
10 (1.19) - Storm Over Ryloth
11 (1.20) - Innocents of Ryloth
12 (2.17) - Bounty Hunters
13 (2.05) - Landing at Point Rain
14 (2.06) - Weapons Factory
15 (2.09) - Grievous Intrigue
16 (3.02) - Arc Troopers
17 (3.10) - Heroes on Both Sides
18 (3.12) - Nightsisters
19 (3.13) - Monster
20 (3.14) - Witches of the Mist
21 (3.18) - The Citadel
22 (3.19) - Counter Attack
23 (3.20) - Citadel Rescue
24 (3.21) - Padawan Lost
25 (3.22) - Wookie Hunt
26 (4.06) - Nomad Droids
27 (4.19) - Massacre
28 (4.20) - Bounty
29 (4.21) - Brothers
30 (4.22) - Revenge
31 (5.01) - Revival
32 (5.17) - Sabotage
33 (5.18) - The Jedi Who Knew Too Much
34 (5.19) - To Catch a Jedi
35 (5.20) - The Wrong Jedi

As an “Episode 0” I would add Tartatovsky’s “Clone Wars” (everything from the start to Anakin being knighted) and as “Episode 36” the rest (Anakin and Ben going on a mission that happens to be Anakin’s last trial while Grievous conducts the attack on Coruscant), so all the Ahsoka rise and fall story arc would happpen between these two main events.

By the way I wouldn’t watch it within some kind of weird Machete Order. And if you hate TPM so much don’t bother to even only watch the threesome saber fight, without the context of why these characters fight I don’t really see the point of watching it.

“I have to say that I felt George’s group of six films had more innovative visual imagination, and this film was more of a retrenchment to things you had seen before and characters you had seen before, and it took a few baby steps forward with new characters.” - James Cameron about Episode VII.

Author
Time

TV’s Frink said:

BillionaireHobo287 said:

The quality of the prequels is neccessary to understand the story decisions of…the Force Awakens.

No, just no.

No, I think he’s right. They deliberately chose to make TFA more like the originals because of the backlash to the prequels.

Author
Time

MalàStrana said:

BillionaireHobo287 said:

Please try this order:

  1. Despecialized Original Trilogy
  2. For newcomers or veterans who haven’t watched the prequels in a while, something that shows why the prequels suck
  3. The Force Awakens
  4. Star Wars Rebels
  5. The to-be-released Star Wars movies when they are released

blablabla

Aren’t you off topic ? There are many other threads to whine about the PT and how they are the worst thing that happened to humanity since Hitler, and this is not the point of this thread (and I’m still stying to figure out what’s worse: seing a “little boy” Vader in TPM or the main protagonists of the OT looking like old hobos in TFA…). Anyway, let’s stay focused on topic.

@ CourtlyHades296
So: I’ve watched the complete GCI series a few month ago. I wasn’t very convinced by the show, which is way too long, hence a selection of what to watch and in what order can be quite useful indeed. I’ve selected 35 episodes based on their quality and material that feed Anakin’s turn and that bridge the PT to the OT (Chewie’s very good cameo, Tarkin’s episodes, Anakin is a cunning warrior and a good friend, etc.) and to “Rebels” (the best of Ahsoka, the best of Maul). I have also kept a few comic episodes with 3PO and R2, none with Jar Jar, and I’ve “deleted” almost everything involving pointless developpements (Mandalore, Maul and Mandalore, Count Dooku and Grievous fooling around, etc.). Here is my best of list, that ends with the 4-part Ahsoka-centric (the best way to finish the show) :

01 (2.16) - Cat and Mouse
02 (1.16) - The Hidden Enemy
03 (1.02) - Rising Malevolence
04 (1.03) - Shadow of Malevolence
05 (1.04) - Destroy Malevolence
06 (1.05) - Rookies
07 (1.06) - Downfall of a Droid
08 (1.07) - Duel of the Droids
09 (1.09) - Cloak of Darkness
10 (1.19) - Storm Over Ryloth
11 (1.20) - Innocents of Ryloth
12 (2.17) - Bounty Hunters
13 (2.05) - Landing at Point Rain
14 (2.06) - Weapons Factory
15 (2.09) - Grievous Intrigue
16 (3.02) - Arc Troopers
17 (3.10) - Heroes on Both Sides
18 (3.12) - Nightsisters
19 (3.13) - Monster
20 (3.14) - Witches of the Mist
21 (3.18) - The Citadel
22 (3.19) - Counter Attack
23 (3.20) - Citadel Rescue
24 (3.21) - Padawan Lost
25 (3.22) - Wookie Hunt
26 (4.06) - Nomad Droids
27 (4.19) - Massacre
28 (4.20) - Bounty
29 (4.21) - Brothers
30 (4.22) - Revenge
31 (5.01) - Revival
32 (5.17) - Sabotage
33 (5.18) - The Jedi Who Knew Too Much
34 (5.19) - To Catch a Jedi
35 (5.20) - The Wrong Jedi

As an “Episode 0” I would add Tartatovsky’s “Clone Wars” (everything from the start to Anakin being knighted) and as “Episode 36” the rest (Anakin and Ben going on a mission that happens to be Anakin’s last trial while Grievous conducts the attack on Coruscant), so all the Ahsoka rise and fall story arc would happpen between these two main events.

By the way I wouldn’t watch it within some kind of weird Machete Order. And if you hate TPM so much don’t bother to even only watch the threesome saber fight, without the context of why these characters fight I don’t really see the point of watching it.

It’s not off-topic. I’m talking about the Clone Wars and viewing orders.

Author
Time

We’re not talking about The Clone Wars and viewing orders, we’re talking about The Clone Wars viewing order.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

CHEWBAKAspelledwrong said:

CourtlyHades296 said:

Anyone tried this viewing order for Clone Wars?

  1. A New Hope (Despecialized)
  2. The Empire Strikes Back (Despecialized)
  3. The Phantom Menace (Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan vs Darth Maul ONLY)
  4. Attack of the Clones (HAL9000 edit)
  5. Cat and Mouse
  6. The Clone Wars Movie (only first 25-30 minutes)
  7. Clone Cadets
  8. Rookies
  9. Lair of Greivous
  10. Storm over Ryloth
  11. Innocents of Ryloth
  12. Liberty on Ryloth
  13. Bounty Hunters
  14. Landing at Point Rain
  15. Weapons Factory
  16. Legacy of Terror
  17. Brain Invaders
  18. The Mandalore Plot
  19. Voyage of Temptation
  20. Duchess of Mandalore
  21. Death Trap
  22. R2 Come Home
  23. Lethal Trackdown
  24. ARC Troopers
  25. Hostage Crisis
  26. Nightsisters
  27. Monster
  28. Witches of the Mist
  29. The Citadel
  30. Counterattack
  31. Citadel Rescue
  32. Nomad Droids
  33. Darkness on Umbara
  34. The General
  35. Plan of Dissent
  36. Carnage of Krell
  37. Deception
  38. Friends and Enemies
  39. The Box
  40. Crisis on Naboo
  41. Massacre
  42. Bounty
  43. Brothers
  44. Revenge
  45. A War on Two Fronts
  46. Front Runners
  47. The Soft War
  48. Tipping Points
  49. The Gathering
  50. Revival
  51. Eminence
  52. Shades of Reason
  53. The Lawless
  54. Sabotage
  55. The Jedi Who Knew Too Much
  56. To Catch a Jedi
  57. The Wrong Jedi
  58. The Unknown
  59. Conspiracy
  60. Fugitive
  61. Orders
  62. The Lost One
  63. Voices
  64. Destiny
  65. Sacrifice
  66. Revenge of the Sith (L8wrtr edit)
  67. Return of the Jedi (Despecialized)

Yes, I have tried that exact order. Well, more or less, except I prefer to watch the first 17 minutes of the Clone Wars movie, then watch the Clone Cadets, then return to the next 13 minutes of the Clone Wars movie.

What was it like? Did you finish it?

Author
Time

TheQuazz said:

We’re not talking about The Clone Wars and viewing orders, we’re talking about The Clone Wars viewing order.

Well, my Clone Wars viewing order is to not view the Clone Wars. It makes perfect sense.

Author
Time

BillionaireHobo287 said:

It seems strange to skip all prequels, but they are inherently flawed even if they are enjoyable and improved by fans. The original trilogy thrived on its mysteries.

When the Clone Wars was spoken of by Luke and Obi Wan, the reference was organic. The characters acted like if events in a universe were real and the Clone Wars were organically left unexplained and to the imagination. If they explained it, it would be like two adults explaining World War II to each other mid-conversation. The world was immersive and seemed real.

Darth Vader is the ultimate example of less-is-more. The character is so evil that it is extremely difficult to give him both good motivations, agency, and a role as a protagonist, but we do see how deeply he was affected by his past. He’s a half machine monster who could not believe in himself, refers to himself in the third person, and attacks his own son.

If the movies were released chronologically, there would not be any problems like this and the prequels could be viewed, but they weren’t.

This edit doesn’t show the Clone Wars, and doesn’t really feature Anakin as a protagonist.