Sign In

Changes in 2004 DVDs — Page 42

Author
Time
Quote

Originally posted by: jimbo
Quote

Originally posted by: ricarleite
Quote

Originally posted by: Bossk
Not that I'm speaking from experience as we all know I'm not buying the set, but I'm surprised, considering the state of your system, that you can't hear it, Jimbo. Everybody else seems to be able to detect it no problem. Weird.


Even with such a good sound system, most people wouldn't notice the problem, and since Jimbo here really doesn't want to, it sounds good to him. Well, at least he's pleased with the DVDs.

Oh, and Jimbo, I owe you an apologise, I remember clearly how you insisted that the insafmous AICN screenshot showing Hayden as Anakin on ROTJ was real, and I insisted it was not. I remember that 4 or 5 months ago I was absolutely sure that no more changes would be made on the trilogy, and you were sure that there were going to be some more changes. Well, I was wrong, and you were right. Now I know GL can still surprise me with his asshole ways...


Don't these things just love to come back and bite you in the ass.


Jimbo, the whole apology thing was merely an ironic joke on the whole thing. I owe you nothing, I did not offend you in any way, and truly I don't need to apologise to you for anything. I'll avoid being slightly sarcastic from now on.
“Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country.” — Nazi Reich Marshal Hermann Goering
Author
Time
i think you do owe him some thing ricarleite

A SWIFT KICK IN THE ASS!
sound about right?
"Never. I'll never turn to the darkside. You've failed your highness. I am a jedi, like my father before me."
Author
Time
I think everyone should get to kick Jimbo in the ass. We can tempt him with a cardboard standee of Lucas and then trap him in a net.
Author
Time
ROFLMAO

Good one Darth Justin. XD;

Moll.

"Right now the coffees are doing their final work." (Airi, Masked Rider Den-o episode 1)

Author
Time
Quote

Originally posted by: ricarleite<br
Don't these things just love to come back and bite you in the ass.


Jimbo, the whole apology thing was merely an ironic joke on the whole thing. I owe you nothing, I did not offend you in any way, and truly I don't need to apologise to you for anything. I'll avoid being slightly sarcastic from now on.


I didn't say you did I was just being a bit big headed. Sorry if I offended you. I just feel good being right.
Author
Time
Quote

Originally posted by: jimbo
Quote

Originally posted by: ricarleite<br
Don't these things just love to come back and bite you in the ass.


Jimbo, the whole apology thing was merely an ironic joke on the whole thing. I owe you nothing, I did not offend you in any way, and truly I don't need to apologise to you for anything. I'll avoid being slightly sarcastic from now on.


I didn't say you did I was just being a bit big headed. Sorry if I offended you. I just feel good being right.


Which is not very often.
“Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country.” — Nazi Reich Marshal Hermann Goering
Author
Time
Quote

Originally posted by: ricarleite
Quote

Originally posted by: jimbo

I didn't say you did I was just being a bit big headed. Sorry if I offended you. I just feel good being right.


Which is not very often.


Now now, stop pushing one another's buttons, otherwise this'll start all over.


Made for IE Forum's Episode III theme month - May 2005.

Author
Time
Is this Jimbo guy a Lucas Mole?

I mean, no one could really LOVE these crap-fest 2004 versions so much, and continually think up new and increasingly illlogical reasons for the changes. Everything's perfect in Lucas La La Land for this guy, which is bizarre, unless Georgie Porgy is paying his salary.
http://web.newsguy.com/theprofessional/ebay/sw_logo_s.jpg
Author
Time
You're not the first person to suggest that. (where's my astroturf comment lol)

Moll.

"Right now the coffees are doing their final work." (Airi, Masked Rider Den-o episode 1)

Author
Time
Quote

Originally posted by: drcrawn
But i tell you what, there were boos when the credits rolled after Episode One...I bet nobody booed ROTJ....


I saw TPM 10 times in the theater. Not once did anybody boo.

In fact, the first four times I saw it everybody cheered wildly. The rest of the times there were applause.

And do I really need to remind you that TPM took in more money than ESB and ROTJ?

Want to talk comics, RPGs and other stuff? Visit otherearths.coml

Unless you are a Star Wars Fanboy, then you can visit : Lord Peeler Vs. The Fanboysl
Author
Time
Quote

Originally posted by: Lord Peeler
Quote

Originally posted by: drcrawn
But i tell you what, there were boos when the credits rolled after Episode One...I bet nobody booed ROTJ....


I saw TPM 10 times in the theater. Not once did anybody boo.

In fact, the first four times I saw it everybody cheered wildly. The rest of the times there were applause.

And do I really need to remind you that TPM took in more money than ESB and ROTJ?
You're not adjusting for inflation.
Adjusting puts ESB at $555.7 million, ROTJ at $533.2 million and TPM at $484.5 million.
Adjusting also puts ANH at over 1 billion, second only to Gone with the Wind.

The Movie Times: Top Grossing Films of All Time in the U.S. Adjusted for Inflation
Author
Time
Tickets costed a lot more when TPM came out too. Check out this link.

Empire's adjusted for inflation gross is: $602,829,100. Unadjusted: $290,475067.
Jedi's adjusted for inflation gross is: $577,524,800. Unadjusted: $309,306,177.
Now let's see Menace's. Adjusted gross is: $520,807,900. Unadjusted: $431,088,301.

Hell, for shi%$ and giggles, let's throw in Hope and Clones (sounds like a soap opera).

Hope's adjusted for inflation gross is: $1,093,654,300. Unadjusted: $460,998,007.
Clones' adjusted for inflation gross is: $328,296,400. Unadjusted: $310,676,740.

Pretty pathetic that Clones made only 19 million more than Empire which came out all the way back in 1980 when it was pretty cheap to go to the movies. I'm glad though because I hate Clones the worst out of the 5 and actually like Menace better. I may be one of the few that feel like that, but at least Menace didn't have a sappy romance and that terrible Hayden Christenson. It also had the best lightsabe duel in all of the films so far IMHO. Menace is still my second least favorite of all of the films. Whenever Episode III comes on HBO, I'll figure out how much I like or dislike it because I certainly not wasting my money on seeing it in the theater.

There you go though. Menace only made more than ESB and ROTJ because tickets costed a lot more when it came out. More people went out and bought tickets for those two films than they did for Menace.

Starkiller beat me to the punch, but you can see how inflation factors has an impact on things. We each have different numbers because we each went to different sites that had different ways to adjust for inflation. Boxoffice Mojo assumes that the average ticket price in 2004 is $6.14. In 1980, the average ticket price was $2.69. In 1999, the average price was $5.08 and $3.15 in 1983.

Patrick
"When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk." - Tuco from The Good, The Bad And The Ugly
Author
Time
damn you guys beat me to it...
inflation makes a big deal when your comparing two different time frames....
"Never. I'll never turn to the darkside. You've failed your highness. I am a jedi, like my father before me."
Author
Time
No one booed when I saw TPM, but there was a lot of laughter at inopportune times, such as whenever Little Orphan Ani opened up his pie-hole.

There were kids all through the audience, and whenever that miniature troll said anything, they laughed out loud, and when Ani told Padme about his "feelings" the laughter was so loud I felt like I was sitting in a comedy. This movie was bad news, and maybe the only reason no one booed was because they had quite a few chuckles at the expense of that moron Lucas.
http://web.newsguy.com/theprofessional/ebay/sw_logo_s.jpg
Author
Time
Nice comparisions, too bad they are all off.

None of those are the original release numbers. Everyone of thos Star Wars grosses are adjusted to include the 2 to 3 re-releases.
The Jedi are all but extinct.......
Author
Time
I wonder how much $$$ the prequels would have made had they been any good (ie. Lucas got someone else to write/direct/create them). The demand was insanely high for TPM, and as the movie sucked dead bears, it was an opportunity that will likely never come around again.

Easily 1 billion for TPM if it's above-average, and the sky's the limit if it was of the same quality as SW or ESB.
http://web.newsguy.com/theprofessional/ebay/sw_logo_s.jpg
Author
Time
Quote

Originally posted by: Sam_Lu
Is this Jimbo guy a Lucas Mole?

I mean, no one could really LOVE these crap-fest 2004 versions so much, and continually think up new and increasingly illlogical reasons for the changes. Everything's perfect in Lucas La La Land for this guy, which is bizarre, unless Georgie Porgy is paying his salary.


I wish I was a Lucas mole. I am just a 17 year old Star Wars fan who loves digital effects. It just looks more realistic to me.
Author
Time
When handled correctly, digital effects are cool. But when you just randomly add creatures into the background and foreground of scenes it looks stupid. Like I've said before, you are obviously a new-age Lucas fan that was apparently unhappy with the original versions of the films (and that's why you love the SE and continue to preach that they are better).
Author
Time
As I've mentionted before, jimbo (because of his youth) lacks perspective and a sense of history. These will develop in time.

Princess Leia: I happen to like nice men.
Han Solo: I'm a nice man.

Author
Time
Hey Jimbo, I love digital effects as well, and when used appropriately (like in Fellowship of the Ring) it makes it possible to see the unfilmable.

My problem with the horrific SE and 2004 SSE versions is not the digital effects, but the jarring impact that adding FX-laden story portions of these 1977-83 films. It just doesn't look right in terms of consistency, anymore than significant facial surgery looks good on an 80-year old woman. You take one look, cringe, and think "whoa, something's not right here".

Not to mention that updating JUST the digital FX to the OT is the LEAST of my worries, as it is the ham-fisted "let's re-do the story" crap that is truly offending. If George wanted Greedo to shoot first, he would have done it in Star Wars. It's not like he didn't write or direct the fucking movie. Then we have the stupidity of showing the Wampa over and over and over, thereby bleeding the scene of its original suspense, along with the uttery lame "Hayden Ghost", and a ton of other amateur changes that a first-year film student would reject.

You like updated visual FX, and I have no huge problem with it either, but don't be a moron and try and pass the SE and 2004 SSE versions as just "updated FX', as the changes are far more intrusive than just that.

http://web.newsguy.com/theprofessional/ebay/sw_logo_s.jpg
Author
Time
Quote

Originally posted by: Sam_Lu
Hey Jimbo, I love digital effects as well, and when used appropriately (like in Fellowship of the Ring) it makes it possible to see the unfilmable.

My problem with the horrific SE and 2004 SSE versions is not the digital effects, but the jarring impact that adding FX-laden story portions of these 1977-83 films. It just doesn't look right in terms of consistency, anymore than significant facial surgery looks good on an 80-year old woman. You take one look, cringe, and think "whoa, something's not right here".

Not to mention that updating JUST the digital FX to the OT is the LEAST of my worries, as it is the ham-fisted "let's re-do the story" crap that is truly offending. If George wanted Greedo to shoot first, he would have done it in Star Wars. It's not like he didn't write or direct the fucking movie. Then we have the stupidity of showing the Wampa over and over and over, thereby bleeding the scene of its original suspense, along with the uttery lame "Hayden Ghost", and a ton of other amateur changes that a first-year film student would reject.

You like updated visual FX, and I have no huge problem with it either, but don't be a moron and try and pass the SE and 2004 SSE versions as just "updated FX', as the changes are far more intrusive than just that.


Vast majority of the changes are just upgraded effects. There are over a hundred changes in the 2004 edition but but only a few of them aren't upgraded effects. I don't like all the changes but there are far more good ones then bad ones.
Author
Time
Come on, you can't compare a small matte clean-up as a one-to-one "change" with the segment between Han and Jabba in Star Wars. One goes by in a the bat of an eye, while the other drones on endlessly, and changes the entire pace of the movie.

Duration and effect on the story are the prime considerations when looking at these things, otherwise Lucas could just re-film the entire trilogy and state he only made ONE small change.

P.S., just for the record, I COULDN'T CARE LESS abut Lucas updating the visual effects in the EXISTING FOOTAGE of the Original Trilogy. Clear? It's the NEW FOOTAGE, INSERTED FX, and BLATANT STORY CHANGES that bother me.

Clear?
http://web.newsguy.com/theprofessional/ebay/sw_logo_s.jpg
Author
Time
I am sorry if I sad any bad cometts about star wars fan boys before. They have a right to there own option.
Kenneth Kraly Jr.
Author
Time
Quote

Originally posted by: Luke30
I am sorry if I sad any bad cometts about star wars fan boys before. They have a right to there own option.


But the SW Fanboys already have their option, the 2004 SSE DVDs.

What we need are the theatrical versions for the true fans of the Original Trilogy.
http://web.newsguy.com/theprofessional/ebay/sw_logo_s.jpg
Author
Time
Quote

What we need are the theatrical versions for the true fans of the Original Trilogy.


So wait, you are only a true fan of the original trilogy if you want the original versions? I'm all for the release of the unedited, original versions, but I don't think that makes me anymore of a fan than someone who likes the SE's or the 2004 releases.

Personally, I love the new X-Wing assualt on the Death Star done in CGI. I don't like the audio changes, but as for the dog fight I think the effects are great.

So am I not a true fan?
The Jedi are all but extinct.......