Sign In

Bootleg DVDs

Author
Time
This may be bad etiquette (or protocol), but where can I find a site that sells quality bootleg DVDs of the ORIGINAL TRILOGY (non-special edition)?

The only one I've found is www.dvdentity.com, but they only sell the special edition.

I fully intend to buy the official DVDs when they are released on Sept. 21 (my birthday!), assuming they are the original trilogy, but have been looking for the original trilogy in widescreen for a couple months now, and can't seem to justify spending $50-$100 on e-bay just to get VHS.

Thanks alot!

P.S. If this question is against board rules, I apologize and feel free to delete this post.
Author
Time
NONONONONONONONONO!!!! We do not discuss bootlegs here!
This may seem reactionary, but we've had major problems with people trying to bring up the topic of bootlegs; besides, since the SE Trilogy has been announced for Sept 21, and this is the only one available as a bootleg, the point is now moot.


Now that that's out of the way, welcome to the forum. Hope I didn't scare ya away.

Princess Leia: I happen to like nice men.
Han Solo: I'm a nice man.

Author
Time
You can now find O-OT bootlegs on Ebay!
Author
Time
Try this site for info:
http://www.prillaman.net/starwarsdvd.html

Originally posted by: tyler_j_williams
This may be bad etiquette (or protocol), but where can I find a site that sells quality bootleg DVDs of the ORIGINAL TRILOGY (non-special edition)?

The only one I've found is www.dvdentity.com, but they only sell the special edition.

I fully intend to buy the official DVDs when they are released on Sept. 21 (my birthday!), assuming they are the original trilogy, but have been looking for the original trilogy in widescreen for a couple months now, and can't seem to justify spending $50-$100 on e-bay just to get VHS.

Thanks alot!

P.S. If this question is against board rules, I apologize and feel free to delete this post.


Author
Time
Gundark, Jay said in the official DVD announcement thread in this section of the forum that he doesn't care about bootleg talk anymore. Since Lucas is screwing us, he has no problem screwing him.
"You fell victim to one of the classic blunders, the most famous of which is 'Never get involved in a land war in Asia'."
--Vizzini (Wallace Shawn), The Princess Bride
-------------------------
Kevin A
Webmaster/Primary Cynic
kapgar.typepad.com
kapgar.com
Author
Time
reaLLY??
oh Jay you have made me the happiest person on earth...
stay tuned folks!

"Never. I'll never turn to the darkside. You've failed your highness. I am a jedi, like my father before me."
Author
Time
i'm gettin one unless the offical ot dvd comes out
Author
Time
I'm tunin' Luke. I'm tunin'.

I'm getting one of our OT.com Custom DVD Boxsets (as I will refer to them now). And, if they are finally released officially, I'll get that as well for the extras.
"You fell victim to one of the classic blunders, the most famous of which is 'Never get involved in a land war in Asia'."
--Vizzini (Wallace Shawn), The Princess Bride
-------------------------
Kevin A
Webmaster/Primary Cynic
kapgar.typepad.com
kapgar.com
Author
Time
Originally posted by: Bossk
Gundark, Jay said in the official DVD announcement thread in this section of the forum that he doesn't care about bootleg talk anymore. Since Lucas is screwing us, he has no problem screwing him.


Hey Bossk, didn't you say you can copy a movie from VHS onto DVD and edit it? If you can, will you burn some DVD's for me? I have the 1992 Special Letterbox Collector's Edition, but I want it on DVD.
"May the force be with you!"
Author
Time
I have the VHS editions but no means of capturing it on my computer (that I'm personally aware of) to burn it to DVD. I do have a DVD burner (SuperDrive in my Mac) with a HD that should be big enough to handle the files if I could figure out how to get it on there. Of course it would be a transfer from VHS and not the LDs.
"You fell victim to one of the classic blunders, the most famous of which is 'Never get involved in a land war in Asia'."
--Vizzini (Wallace Shawn), The Princess Bride
-------------------------
Kevin A
Webmaster/Primary Cynic
kapgar.typepad.com
kapgar.com
Author
Time
looks like those idiots wont be selling many... lol
its the special edition!
muhahaha
"Never. I'll never turn to the darkside. You've failed your highness. I am a jedi, like my father before me."
Author
Time
Originally posted by: Bossk
I have the VHS editions but no means of capturing it on my computer (that I'm personally aware of) to burn it to DVD. I do have a DVD burner (SuperDrive in my Mac) with a HD that should be big enough to handle the files if I could figure out how to get it on there. Of course it would be a transfer from VHS and not the LDs.


BOSSK, PM ME.


I STILL DON'T THINK THAT WE SHOULD TALK ABOUT BOOTLEGS ON THIS SITE EVEN THOUGH JAY SAID THAT HE NO LONGER CARES IF WE DO OR NOT. WE NEED TO TAKE THIS STAND OUT OF RESPECT FOR JAY, OT.COM, OURSELVES, AND EVEN GL.

"I'VE GROWN TIRED OF ASKING, SO THIS WILL BE THE LAST TIME..."
The Mangler Bros. Psycho Dayv Armchaireviews Notes on Suicide

Author
Time
Although I couldn't recommend buying a bootleg just so that you can have it on DVD until they officially come out, I hear tell that they may be available on www.jedimaster.com and that a person can get them quite cheaply and that the quality is pretty good.
Come join my forum at www.cultofthejedi.com
Author
Time
Is it the original versions or the special editions?
"May the force be with you!"
Author
Time
Most bootlegs are of the special edition.
The original Star Wars trilogy: Our cultural history deserves to be preserved and should be available to the public like all great works of art!
Author
Time
SE.
Come join my forum at www.cultofthejedi.com
Author
Time
im with you dayv, i say we dont discuss bootlegs... anyone here want to discuss bootlegs, get MSN or write PM's to each other.
"The ability to speak does not make you intelligent."
Qui-Gon Jinn (R.I.P.)
Author
Time
The only way I can condone buying a bootleg is if it is a product that is never going to be released on the format.
Author
Time
I read an article on yahoo.com news yesterday that had a quote from a guy a Lucas Arts or whatever company it is again...

He said that it WILL be the special editions that are released in Sept. and the original trilogies will indeed NEVER be released on DVD. Mostly, he says that is so because the original versions don't even technically exist anymore (altho I don't think they're trying very hard to *make* them exist, and you know they could).

So, basically if you want to own the original trilogy in it's original theatrical form on dvd, you'll never see it released officially. You'll have to go bootleg.
Author
Time
Actually, in my case, it wouldn't be bootlegging. As I stated in an earlier post, I have the collector's edition, I just don't have the program(s) or the equipment to transfer it.
"May the force be with you!"
Author
Time
Same with me. It's not bootlegging since I already own two VHS copies of pre-SE SW OTs (enough acronyms for ya there?)
"You fell victim to one of the classic blunders, the most famous of which is 'Never get involved in a land war in Asia'."
--Vizzini (Wallace Shawn), The Princess Bride
-------------------------
Kevin A
Webmaster/Primary Cynic
kapgar.typepad.com
kapgar.com
Author
Time
I also plan on making my own "digital backups" of the VHS Original Trilogy.

I've got DVDit and have already started work on my own menus (work is slow though, DVDit is not as versatile as I had hoped).
Author
Time
all i need to make copys of my laserdisc's is either a video card with a video in.. or my buddy says i could use a capture device...

anyone have any ideas on how i could get these without paying top dollar??
"Never. I'll never turn to the darkside. You've failed your highness. I am a jedi, like my father before me."