Sign In

BTS Star Wars Ebook question

Author
Time

The Making of Star Wars: ____ (Enhanced Edition) Ebook
does anyone know what quality/resolution the deleted scenes in this ebook are? Im going through youtube and found a bunch of clips but they’re all 360p and Im wondering if they’re the same resolution as on the ebooks.

Author
Time

I think if I remember correctly the I-tunes version of the ebook was higher resolution…as opposed to the windows version.

Author
Time

alright thank you adywan and ronster!

Author
Time

If they are indeed 720p they could just be recorded of the screen Using NDI in OBS studio no need to rip with copyright providing you can play them full screen.

Author
Time

The ones I have are 304x640, which came out of an .epub file, of which I don’t even remember where it came from. They look decent when upscaled, but still not amazing.

gag
can
darth

My .epub file is 519mb, and according to the Apple Books website, their version is 1.2gb, so it seems that the video files would be a lot better.

I can’t buy or download that version of the eBooks (looks like they aren’t avalible in Australia?) but it looks pretty confirmed that the video files would look a lot better. Best way to get it would be to download it to an iPhone/iPad/iPad, and sync it to a PC/Mac, and then figure out how to extract it from there.

Hopefully someone is able to get that raw ebook file, I’d love to crack into it and get the higher res video files. Would do wonders for many projects around here.

Author
Time

You could access the US Apple site whilst using a VPN if that helps?
https://books.apple.com/us/book/the-making-of-star-wars-enhanced-edition/id669041894

I don’t have any Apple products or accounts, so I can’t sign in and buy it…

It’s available on the Google Play store, however it doesn’t state if it’s the 1.2GB version or not:
https://play.google.com/store/books/details?id=2UoPAAAAQBAJ&PAffiliateID=1011ld4r&PCamRefID={TRACKING_CODE}

Bobson Dugnutt said:

The ones I have are 304x640, which came out of an .epub file, of which I don’t even remember where it came from. They look decent when upscaled, but still not amazing.

gag
can
darth

My .epub file is 519mb, and according to the Apple Books website, their version is 1.2gb, so it seems that the video files would be a lot better.

I can’t buy or download that version of the eBooks (looks like they aren’t avalible in Australia?) but it looks pretty confirmed that the video files would look a lot better. Best way to get it would be to download it to an iPhone/iPad/iPad, and sync it to a PC/Mac, and then figure out how to extract it from there.

Hopefully someone is able to get that raw ebook file, I’d love to crack into it and get the higher res video files. Would do wonders for many projects around here.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

After a lot of fucking around and messing about, and buying another copy of the eBook through iTunes, at the moment I can somewhat say that the Apple Books version of Empire Strikes Back is extremely similar, with a very minimal difference in bitrate, but basically identical.

The 10 clips from the eBook, only those with raw/deleted footage, in my existing rip, in total are 85mb, with each file having a bitrate of 1.1mb/s.

The Apple Books versions add up to 109mb, with the average bitrate being 1.5mb/s.

These are both pretty rubbish bitrates, considering the film on the 2011 Blu-Ray is roughly 32mb/s, however the Apple version of the eBook footage is definitely a little better.

The resolution for my version is 640x308, and the Apple one being 640x480. Which doesn’t mean much, as it’s just the black matte that is cut out in my version.

And also, the Apple version is locked up with DRM, with no current way I can find to unlock it. The videos don’t play, the images don’t open and the text doesn’t load, if you take it outside of the Apple Books app on a Mac computer. This was a waking fucking nightmare to work out. If anyone could figure out how to strip the DRM from the individual files, they still could be useful potentially since the bitrate is still slightly higher.

Every video file is also tagged with “SD for Apple Devices”, so it seems unlikely that there are any HD versions out there, unless anyone wants to test the Google Play versions, but I will not be sadly.

Unless there is some sort of alternate release of all this footage (another Blu-Ray or digital bonus or something), all of this stuff will be locked in barely 480p quality. Some of the SW Gag Reel made it into the TROS Doco, and there was a re-edit made of it on the ROTS Blu-Ray, but it suffered from being cropped to 16:9 and some horrid ghosting effects. In the end, some upscales we make will likely be the best we’ll ever have.

Here is a smiley Mark for your troubles!

s

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Bobson Dugnutt said:

After a lot of fucking around and messing about, and buying another copy of the eBook through iTunes, at the moment I can somewhat say that the Apple Books version of Empire Strikes Back is extremely similar, with a very minimal difference in bitrate, but basically identical.

The 10 clips from the eBook, only those with raw/deleted footage, in my existing rip, in total are 85mb, with each file having a bitrate of 1.1mb/s.

The Apple Books versions add up to 109mb, with the average bitrate being 1.5mb/s.

These are both pretty rubbish bitrates, considering the film on the 2011 Blu-Ray is roughly 32mb/s, however the Apple version of the eBook footage is definitely a little better.

The resolution for my version is 640x308, and the Apple one being 640x480. Which doesn’t mean much, as it’s just the black matte that is cut out in my version.

And also, the Apple version is locked up with DRM, with no current way I can find to unlock it. The videos don’t play, the images don’t open and the text doesn’t load, if you take it outside of the Apple Books app on a Mac computer. This was a waking fucking nightmare to work out. If anyone could figure out how to strip the DRM from the individual files, they still could be useful potentially since the bitrate is still slightly higher.

Every video file is also tagged with “SD for Apple Devices”, so it seems unlikely that there are any HD versions out there, unless anyone wants to test the Google Play versions, but I will not be sadly.

Unless there is some sort of alternate release of all this footage (another Blu-Ray or digital bonus or something), all of this stuff will be locked in barely 480p quality. Some of the SW Gag Reel made it into the TROS Doco, and there was a re-edit made of it on the ROTS Blu-Ray, but it suffered from being cropped to 16:9 and some horrid ghosting effects. In the end, some upscales we make will likely be the best we’ll ever have.

Here is a smiley Mark for your troubles!

s

Put your mac screen in a NDI

https://www.ndi.tv/

then stream your epub book videos to a screen capture like OBS on another computer?

Author
Time

Ronster said:
Put your mac screen in a NDI

https://www.ndi.tv/

then stream your epub book videos to a screen capture like OBS on another computer?

It’s honestly not really worth it for an extra 0.3mb/s. you’d end up losing any improvements over the screencapping anyway.

Author
Time

Bobson Dugnutt said:

Ronster said:
Put your mac screen in a NDI

https://www.ndi.tv/

then stream your epub book videos to a screen capture like OBS on another computer?

It’s honestly not really worth it for an extra 0.3mb/s. you’d end up losing any improvements over the screencapping anyway.

can you send in some screenshots of the roj deleted rancor scene if you have that version? I want to see if its any better quality than the ones on youtube.

Author
Time

Fruit672 said:

can you send in some screenshots of the roj deleted rancor scene if you have that version? I want to see if its any better quality than the ones on youtube.

Other than Youtube and it’s usual compression, it’s about the same.

a
s
s