Sign In

Apocalypse Now - Workprint (now available) (Released) — Page 7

Author
Time

Just skimming through the 3 DVD version now - thanks to all involved and am wondering why the use of a different (decent) source for the killing of Kurtz. Was this missing on the workprint ?

Author
Time

The workprint didn't have that ending. Indeed Coppola was stumped as to how to end it. The editor used the laserdisc release to pad out the ending.

I would love to get hold of some ADigitalMan Extended Editions if anyone can help out. Monty Python's Life Of Brian, Love Actually Bloated and Flatulent. Ta!

Author
Time

straightedge said:

So, is this available anywhere now ?

Yes. "The galaxy's most resilient BitTorrent site" for one.

Author
Time

Thanks.

But Unfortunately it doesn't have any seeder.

Author
Time

tranzor - thanks for best quality workprint version

 

I try to use

Blackmagic Design Davinci Resolve

http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/davincirevival/software

to correct collors and other things (I never do it before)

but my hardware is low and cant open it :-(

 

Anyone interesting to make extended version

use aditional scenes from DVD/BluRay, workprint, not all,

with correcting collors and other things...

 

It would be better watch it in better quality than the entire  movie in low quality


Author
Time
 (Edited)

straightedge said:

Thanks.

But Unfortunately it doesn't have any seeder.

I sent out quite a few of these. I know at least one member threw it up on a newsgroup, I also saw another member mentioning getting it out there this past Sunday

 

milw50717 said:

Just skimming through the 3 DVD version now - thanks to all involved and am wondering why the use of a different (decent) source for the killing of Kurtz. Was this missing on the workprint ?

the Kurtz Compund was a deleted scene. This was given as an extra on one of the early dvd releases, so after the workprint finishes out with the laserdisc (which was the only source at the time since the dvd did not exist yet), I then later on added in the Kurtz compound destruction since that was truly the way the film was going to end. As you can see it flows very smoothly from the laserdisc ending making this the longest known version out there at I believe 5hrs and 36 mins

I am a faneditor, check out my stuff

http://fanedit.org/tranzor/

Author
Time

It's been some time since I got my 3 dvds, but I just wanted to say Thanx again to Tranzor.  Some interesting stuff!

I'm still up for working on an edit incorporating most of the scenes from the APOCALYPSE NOW! REDUX HD print (probably work off one of the 720p MKVs) and try to work on blending the workprint footage in.  The problem would be creating a convincing way to do it without being too jarring (or cutting back-and-forth rapidly from 720p to workprint quality footage).

         

 “You people must realize that the public owns you for life, and when you’re dead, you’ll all be in commercials dancing with vacuum cleaners.”

– Homer Simpson

Author
Time

tranzor said:

straightedge said:

Thanks.

But Unfortunately it doesn't have any seeder.

I sent out quite a few of these. I know at least one member threw it up on a newsgroup, I also saw another member mentioning getting it out there this past Sunday

 

milw50717 said:

Just skimming through the 3 DVD version now - thanks to all involved and am wondering why the use of a different (decent) source for the killing of Kurtz. Was this missing on the workprint ?

the Kurtz Compund was a deleted scene. This was given as an extra on one of the early dvd releases, so after the workprint finishes out with the laserdisc (which was the only source at the time since the dvd did not exist yet), I then later on added in the Kurtz compound destruction since that was truly the way the film was going to end. As you can see it flows very smoothly from the laserdisc ending making this the longest known version out there at I believe 5hrs and 36 mins

 

Thanks for the explanation and for all the hard work making the release possible.

 

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Just found the 3-Disc DVD on youknowwhat. Can't believe it's finally liberated. Thanks to everyone!

Anyways, I just saw the film all the way through for the first time the other day. After watching it, I was jonesin to watch some of the Workprint. Tried to find my old 4-Disc 700mb avi copy and realized it's either gone on a bad HDD or with my other HDDs in Utah. Does anyone know where I can the old rip of it or at least the Rite of Spring USO segment? It used to be on Youtube. Does the mp4 rip on youknowwhat have it? 

Author
Time

I need to express my thanks to Tranzor for hooking me up too.  Very kind of you to take care of some of us like that.  I've yet to watch all three discs but all I can say is ... very cool.

:)  :)

Author
Time

I snatched the two disc version off of Usenet and it has the extra(s) I spoke of at the end of disc 2. I'm not sure if my memory is a bit faded, but I seem to remember the extras being in slightly better quality.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Please help me fixing various versions and time lenght informations.

Found 3/4 different format and time lenght variants from net.

  1. This ONE or TWO Workprint VHSRIPs available from net?
  2. 3/4 different version available from net, this formats:
    a. 3xDVD5 (This world best version)
    b. 4x700MBs Xvid AVI (This AVI filenames contain 289min lenght info and extras included)
    c. 4.30GBs MP4 file (5h7m14s lenght, timecode/black bars cutted, this movie ~4h49m15s only without extras)* UPDATED
    d. 4.35GBs UNIQUE release MP4 file (different and longer than “2.c.” version? Encoded from 3*DVD5 source?)

*This final scene from WP ‘2.c.’ version: https://s26.postimg.org/7pxq6mxux/Apocalypse_Now-_Workprint.mp4_04.49.21.png

  1. Three different time lenght infos found from net: 289min, 307min, 330min. This REAL playtime from WP version?
  2. Any differences from 289min vs. 307min versions?

Thanks

Author
Time

puzosep said:

Please help me fixing various versions and time lenght informations.

Found 3/4 different format and time lenght variants from net.

  1. This ONE or TWO Workprint VHSRIPs available from net?
  2. 3/4 different version available from net, this formats:
    a. 3xDVD5 (This world best version)
    b. 4x700MBs Xvid AVI (This AVI filenames contain 289min lenght info and extras included)
    c. 4.30GBs MP4 file (5h7m14s lenght, timecode/black bars cutted, this movie ~4h49m15s only without extras)* UPDATED
    d. 4.35GBs UNIQUE release MP4 file (different and longer than “2.c.” version? Encoded from 3*DVD5 source?)

*This final scene from WP ‘2.c.’ version: https://s26.postimg.org/7pxq6mxux/Apocalypse_Now-_Workprint.mp4_04.49.21.png

  1. Three different time lenght infos found from net: 289min, 307min, 330min. This REAL playtime from WP version?
  2. Any differences from 289min vs. 307min versions?

Thanks

Can i have any links please

Author
Time

Where can one find this workprint version? A quick search of both Google and YouTube hasn’t turned it up.

“What Orwell feared were those who would ban books. What Huxley feared was that there would be no reason to ban a book, for there would be no one who wanted to read one.”

Neil Postman, Amusing Ourselves to Death