Sign In

Apocalypse Now - Workprint (now available) (Released) — Page 3

Author
Time
Originally posted by: crazyrabbits
Oh well, it happens. If the content on the discs was only 60 minutes a tape, then it probably wasn't the workprint.


Maybe we should contact the buyer to see if he even got the item.
Author
Time
Originally posted by: Spock
Originally posted by: crazyrabbits
Oh well, it happens. If the content on the discs was only 60 minutes a tape, then it probably wasn't the workprint.


Maybe we should contact the buyer to see if he even got the item.


That was my plan. Not so much to see if he got the item, but to find out the contents. Message just sent to him.

Pink Floyd -- First in Space

Author
Time
Maybe convince him to join the forum, if nothing else to just let us know what it contains.

/Mikkel
Author
Time
Originally posted by: mikl
Maybe convince him to join the forum, if nothing else to just let us know what it contains.

I don't know why he would have to join the forum in order to let us know what the tapes contain. Private messages that aren't curt can usually take care of things. Besides, I don't invite people to various forums without first developing some sort of rapport with them to try to figure if they'd be a fit. Anyhow, here's what I sent to him:

"Hi. My friend was bidding on the Apocalypse Now rough cut U-matic tapes that you won. We are very curious as to the contents of the tapes. The rough cut is known to be 5-6 hours long, but 3/4-inch tapes can't record at variable speeds (AFAIK), so it looks as though these tapes contain no more than 3 hours of footage. Any light you can shed on our curiosity would be greatly appreciated. BTW, I have a copy of the rough cut (289min) on 3DVDs that I would gladly send you for free if you would like to compare the quality to the material on the tapes you have won. Just let me know."


Pink Floyd -- First in Space

Author
Time
I heard back from the buyer. He has yet to receive the tapes, but will let me know what's on them. He, too, doubts that this is the full rough cut due to the time constraints of the tapes.

Pink Floyd -- First in Space

Author
Time
So what happened????? It's been two months. You've had to have heard something.
Author
Time
Originally posted by: notbond007
So what happened????? It's been two months. You've had to have heard something.


Nope. But I still have his contact information. I'll drop him a line and see what's up. Thanks for the reminder.

Pink Floyd -- First in Space

Author
Time
Bump.

I'm curious what was on those tapes. Did the buyer get in contact?

Anyone know where I can get the three DVD version? I can trade my 2 VHS copy. Or more seriously, I have a bunch of stuff that might be of interest (most of it from torrents though).
Author
Time
Pavemental, shoot me an email and perhaps we can work out a trade. I've got a big list, including the 3-DVD version of AN.

I used to be very active on this forum. I’m not really anymore. Hi everybody. You’re all awesome. Keep up the good work.

Author
Time
This thread kinda seemed dead for a while but I'd like to take my chances anyway. Were the 3/4-inch tapes confirmed by anyone that they contained any AN workprint material or are we still in dark on that matter? Also I'd really like to that 3dvd version of AN workprint. Is there anyone here willing to torrent it? Or i could setup an FTP account for someone to upload the DVDs to and then i could torrent it?
Author
Time
I asked Auximenes about it, and he said he had contacted the seller to ask about the content of the cassettes. I haven't heard anything from him lately (and I haven't heard back from him about whether he received the discs I had to re-send to him) either. I have the 1DVD version of the workprint, so if you want to work out a trade, e-mail me at crazyrabbits@gmail.com and I'll set something up for you.
Author
Time
Sorry guys, I've been busy with real life. I sent a follow up to that guy and have heard nothing in reply, although the email address I used to contact him has been giving me some trouble. So I will follow up yet again.

C.R., I keep forgetting to email you about the re-send. Yes, they arrived. Check your PM's.

Symphonic, check yours too.

Pink Floyd -- First in Space

Author
Time
Hell has frozen over.

http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/hearts-of-darkness.html

Author
Time
This release is going to make a lot of people happy. Only thing they could do now would be to release the workprint.

So, who wants to whip up an awesome cover to encompass this and the most recent special edition of the film itself?

To contact me outside the forum, for trades and such my email address is my OT.com username @gmail.com

Author
Time

yep,would be awesome !

sorry for my english...

Author
Time

Well I have "a" copy of the 330 min workprint. not great quality tho. it's the one split into 4 ~700MB segments.

Good to anyone?

I would love to get hold of some ADigitalMan Extended Editions if anyone can help out. Monty Python's Life Of Brian, Love Actually Bloated and Flatulent. Ta!

Author
Time

yes,i agree with focuspuller.

and since the "original" vhs source is in already pretty rough quality it doesnt help to be compressed...

so if anybody have a vhs2dvd(s) transfert.

but thanks Maclanachu for your reply

sorry for my english...

Author
Time
 (Edited)

I had the 3 disc single layer dvd version of the rough cut from subcin but i traded it so i no longer have it.  Anyway the quality was less than commercial vhs quality. 

 

If coppola wanted the rough cut out there it would have been an extra on the dvd.

This was the edit that was assembled on video right?

and the final version was done on film.

The video tape of the seventies was ultra low resolution i think this was done all on studio grade u-matic tapes.

Lower than broadcast quality.

I mean even if you had access to the first generation copy u-matic tapes the rough cut exist on you could never get dvd quality out of them.

But it would still be better than god knows how many generations of a copy later.

This is the Cut where Martin Sheen almost really died of a heart attack i believe.

It has the doors i think as temp track music too from what i have read.  And is missing the wagner music ride of the valkryies.

“Always loved Vader’s wordless self sacrifice. Another shitty, clueless, revision like Greedo and young Anakin’s ghost. What a fucking shame.” -Simon Pegg.

Author
Time
skyjedi2005 said:

I had the 3 disc single layer dvd version of the rough cut from subcin but i traded it so i no longer have it.  Anyway the quality was less than commercial vhs quality. 

 

If coppola wanted the rough cut out there it would have been an extra on the dvd.

This was the edit that was assembled on video right?

and the final version was done on film.

The video tape of the seventies was ultra low resolution i think this was done all on studio grade u-matic tapes.

Lower than broadcast quality.

I mean even if you had access to the first generation copy u-matic tapes the rough cut exist on you could never get dvd quality out of them.

But it would still be better than god knows how many generations of a copy later.

This is the Cut where Martin Sheen almost really died of a heart attack i believe.

It has the doors i think as temp track music too from what i have read.  And is missing the wagner music ride of the valkryies.

 

 I agree.

 

 After having check out a copy of it myself, yes, it's extremely rough. But worst case scenario, at least 3 hours from a high quality source can be used leaving the rest to fill in the blanks. Better then nothing.

Blade Runner: The Complete Collection