I have started a small fanedit of my own (inspired by some ideas at the http://swmasteredition.blogspot.com). The source is ANH:R and the main goals are simple:
- make Vader a stronger character, slowing down some of his gestures, spoken phrases, in some case lowering the pitch of his voice, reduce if not eliminate Tarkin holding Vader's leash, alter/remove all moments when Vaders authority might be in question.
- remove some other stuff, that bothers me, like the torture needle, etc. (I'll post more later as I get on with the edit).
I am not using any advanced programs like most of the faneditors here do.
For video I am using Kdenlive on Linux - it works surprisingly well for video, interface is simple and intuitive, but the audio editing sucks, so I am using Cool Edit Pro (Windows) and Audacity. For image editing I use GIMP. That's it.
*** Cut/change list:
-Edited the scene aboard the Tantive IV when Stormtroopers are attacking. Faster action, fewer closeups of unimportant officers, while the stormtroopers come of as more overwhelming.
- After Vader chokes and throws the rebel officer on the ground, he turns his head a bit slower in closeup, and does not turn in the open shot. AUDIO: Vader voice lowered slightly to better match the rest of the saga.
- Edited the scene aboard the Tantive IV when Lea is brought to Vader.
Vader arms to the hips is slowed down! Vader's head movements slowed down a bit. The upward hand gesture is now a bit slower. AUDIO: Vader voice slightly lower and slower to better match the rest of the saga. The following scene where an officer says 'Holding her is dangerous!' and then the other officer informing Vader about the jettisoned escape pod is entirely cut. After Vader says 'Take her away' we see the stormtroopers escorting Lea away with a wipe to the star destroyer. I feel there is nothing important lost by cutting the segment while making Vader stronger. We don't need to see him talking to so many low ranking officers. It is true that a couple of scenes later we see the stormtroopers investigating down on the planet, with no mention of the escape pod to the Vader, but the pod was mentioned in the scene before and searching down on the planet would be a logical thing.
- Removed the scene with the clunky trashcan-looking robot aboard the sandcrawler.
It it very obvious (way more more than C3PO) that there is a person inside. All in all it is bit too childish plus the whole droid sequence is too long in my opinion.
Editing: Just reversed 13 frames from R2D2 leaning forward and added it right there so it starts leaning backward to match his actions after the cut scene. Also a few short (all together lest than a sec) cuts to accommodate the audio cut. Audio: a straight cut at the points of best transition. Added a repetition of some robots noise to shorten the needed video cut.
- Bantha with the raider slowed down a bit to give the Bantha more mass, less elephant (not a very noticable change, but still...)
- Death Star conference room scene 1.
Vader's movements during his speech about the power of the force are a bit slower. Later on, Vader says: 'I find your lack of ....', chokes the officer and then lets him go, without Tarkin saying anything. Vader made his point and show of power. Tarking remains quiet!
- Torture droid removed! The most outdated prop ever, of all the other props, this one really bothers me the most. Vader says "And now your highness, we will discuss...", stares at Lea, force rumble, scream,cut.
- Vader-Tarkin scene, Vader says: "Her resistance is considerable", "...to the mind probe..." has been cut to keep in line with the previous edit.
- Tarkin-Leia dialog: 'Vader's leash' line cut. Lea makes no reference to Vader.
- Death Star firing sequence #1 shortened, less prolonged lever pulling/button pushing,...
- Cut Tarkin saying "Terminate her, immediately!" Now Vader says "I told you she would never consciously betray the rebellion.", Tarking walks up to Vader and just uneasily stares at him, then cut to Falcon in hyperspace.
- When Falcon lands on DS, the scanning guy no longer arbitrarily checks the non-equipment (fire extinguisher?)
I've re-cut the scene aboard DS after Falcon lands and the crew is sent to scan the ship. Also the the whole scene is now a bit faster. I have always disliked the scene. We now immediately cut from the Han and the guys to the scanning crew climbing aboard the Falcon. Also a couple of smaller audio and video cuts to speed things up.
- Cut the scene little chirping robot when Luke and Han are walking with handcuffed Chewie on the DS. Also cut the scene with the same robot running around the DS when Falcon is captured. It's a personal choice, I find the robot annoying and some movie elements were too childish for me.
- Stabilized the second door close of the control room, the wobbly door always bothered me. Unfortunately I could not fix the first wobbly door close, to much motion with also moving Luke.
- Cut the entire Tarkin-Vader scene regarding the tracking of the Falcon, and the "It had better work" line. Does not belong in this edit and Lea already concludes that the ease of their escape was due to being let to by the Empire. Also, not much later we see a scene with Tarkin getting the news about orbiting a moon with the rebel base...
- A couple of shoots cut during the takeoff sequence from the Yavin base. It flows faster, with less exposition of guys refilling the X-wings via just a normal screwed on hose. The less we se that the better.
- A couple of cuts throughout the battle of Yavin to speed things up, the whole attack sequence probably still too long. Most of the scenes with the two older guys with headphones/microphones with greenish lighting, looking like getting ready to do some sporty commentary, were cut. Same goes for the similar shot with more similar looking guys in the control room.
- Small edits to the shortened end credits...
*** PM me for the D/L link. ***