Sign In

ALIEN : VIRTUAL WORKPRINT V2 / EXTENDED WORKPRINT (working title)

Author
Time

So.  The Alien Virtual Workprint is great, but there are a few small problems I have with it.  I'm doing an updated workprint/extended edition thingy from scratch.

I'll be using the 20th anniversary DVD as the source, so the quality is a bit more consistent with all the old archival footage and deleted scenes.

Unlike the original workprint, I'll be using mostly finished audio, so it'll be more of an extended version, rather than a rough cut.  Production audio will only be used for scenes that will require total re hauls, such as Lambert's death and the landing.

I also want to fix instances where footage was filmed for one scene and used in another, like the alien snaking it's tail up Lambert's leg.

Here.  This is the first scene I put together.  The cocoon scene.  I still have a few minor edits to make, but I thought I'd upload it.  I'm currently working on Lambert's death scene, and I'll put that on YT whenever I'm done.

Discuss, I suppose.  This is my first thread on this site, so I apologize if any of my formalities are wrong.

Discuss.

Woot.

Good Signature.  Ten outta ten.

Author
Time

do you combine all releases of alien and including all deleted scenes they out there?

a 3h movie?

why you don´t use the bluray?

Author
Time

I'm curious to see how this turns out.

Author
Time

That's quite effective - the balanced picture quality and smoothed out sound mix make for a very convincing whole.

You're running into an issue that I found when I played with Alien footage myself, though. It seems Scott shot a great deal of coverage on certain sequences (perhaps most), giving himself plenty of options in the editing room. As a result, the 'official' presentations of deleted scenes assembled at different times - appearing in the old laserdisc package, the DC and various documentaries - include alternative footage of the exact same events. If you try to combine everything and waste nothing, you end up with a great deal of redundant material (hence Ripley taking a full minute to climb down the ladder).

If you're going to edit a version of the film that's both extended and coherent, you'll have to make some choices about which shots/angles you prefer - an edit that incorporates 100% of the available footage will be somewhat repetitive, to say the least. My advice is to let go of absolute completion and be prepared to get creative.

benduwan said:

do you combine all releases of alien and including all deleted scenes they out there?

a 3h movie?

why you don´t use the bluray?

He answered all of these questions in the first post, if you read it.

Author
Time

will you do it with all 4 alien movies and will be english the only language?

Jonno said:


benduwan said:

do you combine all releases of alien and including all deleted scenes they out there?

a 3h movie?

why you don´t use the bluray?

He answered all of these questions in the first post, if you read it.

 i´ve read it.

as i said : why you don´t use the bluray? i meant the bonus content.

in the alien quadrology box are many extras.

sorry for the misunderstanding.

Author
Time

By god, I hadn't checked this site in so long, and I'm so surprised and happy that people care about this project.  I'm sorry.  I don't know much about this site, and I thought i'd get a notification or something!

I'm sorry I haven't typed an update in so long, so here we go:

First off, the very first rough cut is done.  I'm watching it right now and writing up a little changelog for myself.  It's currently 2 hours and 26 minutes.

One thing that has differed slightly from what I originally set out to do is to replace final audio with production audio if the scene has alternate dialogue from the finished film.  But it will still be, for the most part, final audio.

Jonno, I will not be using every piece of footage I can find.  That would be more appropriate for a Star Wars Begins type edit.  The rule is one take per scene.  I still want it to be coherent and watchable.

Good Signature.  Ten outta ten.

Author
Time

do you have a release date?

can´t wait for it...:-)

Author
Time

Any other ideas for the title?  Since it is more of a final cut then "workprint" doesn't fit.

Author
Time

No, not really.  Have you any suggestions?  I was thinking maybe "perfect edition"  in reference to Ash calling the Alien a perfect organism, but I thought the reference was a bit thin.

Good Signature.  Ten outta ten.

Author
Time

QuarltonBanks said:

No, not really.  Have you any suggestions?  I was thinking maybe "perfect edition"  in reference to Ash calling the Alien a perfect organism, but I thought the reference was a bit thin.

 alien - the facehugger cut

Author
Time

QuarltonBanks said:

No, not really.  Have you any suggestions?  I was thinking maybe "perfect edition"  in reference to Ash calling the Alien a perfect organism, but I thought the reference was a bit thin.

 No.  I can't think of any really.  If I had a good one I might save it in case I do another version of Redux.  lol.

Author
Time

low activity here...

any news? release time?

Author
Time

Oh jeez… Okay. Sorry about this, everyone.

To start, I am the original one who started this topic. Quarltonbanks. But, uuuuuh… I lost my account information. So, here I am, new account.

So story: Started the edit, finished about 95% of the edit. Then the laptop I was doing it on died outta the blue so I didn’t have a computer to edit on at all. I finally have a good new computer that I can do editing on, soooo yeah.

Only problem, all the progress I had made is gone. But I’m going to try to retrieve all the sources (documentaries, deleted scenes, multiple cuts of the movies) from the old hard drive and start from scratch on this computer.

I think starting from scratch will be really good, because I’ve learned a lot about editing since I started the project.

The thing is, if I’m not able to get all those sources back, this project will really be dead. I can’t find any of the torrents I used to get all deleted scenes and documentaries. And though I own all the dvds and blu rays, I’ve never been able to rip them myself. Handbrake and the like never seem to be able to detect all the files and it’s all very frustrating and bleh.

So, yeah. If and when I get all the sources back, I’ll get to work once again on this.

Again, I’m deeply sorry for leaving anyone following this hanging for so long.

sry m8

Author
Time

do you try theparadox for download?
i own all dvd´s and bluray if i can help.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Alright, so luckily I was able to recover everything from the old hard drive.

sry m8

Author
Time
 (Edited)

So vegas is giving me shit with framerate stuff and I gotta work on fixing that… After I manage to get it working I’ll make the extended transmission deleted scene and extended landing scene and put it on vimeo or something.

sry m8

Author
Time

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x433vcv_landing-extended_animals

So, here’s the extended transmission and landing scene I promised.

I’m pretty happy with how it is right now so this is most likely how it’ll appear in the finished edit, but any suggestions would be appreciated. 😃

Only thing is that the landing goes on for so long I had to loop the music at one point, but I think it works well enough.

sry m8

Author
Time

at the begin you can see people in the background of the ship.
are the missing scenes from the bluray?there many with very low quality.
there is a cutting error at 3:26 when the ship is stop .at the next scene you see the animation of the entrance to the planet,but this is when they land with the small ship.
and i´m sorry for my bad english…

Author
Time
 (Edited)

benduwan said:

at the begin you can see people in the background of the ship.
are the missing scenes from the bluray?there many with very low quality.
there is a cutting error at 3:26 when the ship is stop .at the next scene you see the animation of the entrance to the planet,but this is when they land with the small ship.
and i´m sorry for my bad english…

1 I’m sorry, I don’t know what you mean by that. When? Did I make an error?
2 The scenes are from the 1999 legacy dvd, and the 2003 director’s cut on dvd. All the new added footage is from various documentaries released on the blu ray bonus disc
3 The way it’s cut in the film has the shot of Dallas saying “Prepare to disengage from platform”, then the next shot is the computer screen. So I put the new shot of the ship stopping before Dallas says to disengage. And I couldn’t remove the shot of the computer because it has audio of Lambert counting down, and it wouldn’t have worked.

sry m8

Author
Time

DestronTC said:

benduwan said:

at the begin you can see people in the background of the ship.
are the missing scenes from the bluray?there many with very low quality.
there is a cutting error at 3:26 when the ship is stop .at the next scene you see the animation of the entrance to the planet,but this is when they land with the small ship.
and i´m sorry for my bad english…

1 I’m sorry, I don’t know what you mean by that. When? Did I make an error?

at time 00:09 to 00:16 in the background from the shipp are people visible.

Author
Time

benduwan said:

DestronTC said:

benduwan said:

at the begin you can see people in the background of the ship.
are the missing scenes from the bluray?there many with very low quality.
there is a cutting error at 3:26 when the ship is stop .at the next scene you see the animation of the entrance to the planet,but this is when they land with the small ship.
and i´m sorry for my bad english…

1 I’m sorry, I don’t know what you mean by that. When? Did I make an error?

at time 00:09 to 00:16 in the background from the shipp are people visible.

Oh, oh, okay I see it now. Well, that’s because it’s a behind the scenes shot before they finished the special effects entirely. I did toy with adding a starfield and it worked pretty well, but I’m not mad keen on altering the footage that’s already there.

To be honest, I didn’t even notice it before you pointed it out, and there’s not much I can do about it besides altering the footage, something I don’t want to do. So personally I think it’s fine as it is, but thanks for pointing it out 😃

sry m8