Sign In

A question in regards to Samuel L. Jackson

Author
Time
I've met a lot of people - SW fans and non fans alike - who habitually loath seeing Samuel L. Jackson in the prequels, some because they feel he is wasted, others because none of his dialogue allows him the chance to curse, and others simply because he's Samuel L. Jackson. Personally I don't have a problem with seeing Jackson in these films (there are other much more annoying things on screen).

If you dislike seeing Samuel L. Jackson in these films, please explain why for I am most curious. If you do not dislike seeing him in these films, please still explain why.
I'd like a qui-gon jinn please with an Obi-Wan to go.

Red heads ROCK. Blondes do not rock. Nuff said.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v72/greencapt/hansolovsindy.jpg
Author
Time
My 2 Cents:

I don't mind seeing SLJ in the PT anymore than I mind seeing any other 'name' actor (Liam, Ewan, Natalie, etc). One of the things that let one latch onto the OT was the relatively unknown nature of the major players with a few 'genre' actors scattered about. That let you focus on the *story* more than the actors. That said, SLJ is a fine actor and I do feel he has too little to do in the PT. His 'party over' line was atrocious and out of place, but other than that I at least feel he takes the role very seriously and handles it respectfully. I also don't think the quality of a role should be determined by the amount of profanity a character uses- and trust me, I curse like a sailor...
Author
Time
That's exactly how I felt. He's a very credible actor, and I thought he played his part very well. I still don't get why Lucas gave him that "This party's over" line when he arrived at the arena. It was like Jedi Shaft just showed up to kick some ass. Other than that, I liked his performance.

Who's the mean jedi cat with the 5 foot lightsaber and a boot up yo' ass.....MACE!!!....Ya daaaaaaamn right.
Author
Time
Quote

Originally posted by: Anakin's Mannequin

Who's the mean jedi cat with the 5 foot lightsaber and a boot up yo' ass.....MACE!!!....Ya daaaaaaamn right.


ROFLOL!
Author
Time
I'm glad SLJ is in the PT. However, I too think he is underused and isn't given enough to do. Another nitpick, is that I don't like his (or probably GL's) approach to the character. I know it's SW and that they speak with a 'classic' dialect, and that Mace is supposed to be this stoic Jedi master, but I still wish he were more lively and earthy. SLJ's best acting usually comes when he's allowed to be animated and intense. I'm not saying he has to be Jules, but he comes off as too wooden in the PT. There should have been a middle ground somewhere.
40,000 million notches away
Author
Time
Quote

Originally posted by: greencapt
Quote

Originally posted by: Anakin's Mannequin

Who's the mean jedi cat with the 5 foot lightsaber and a boot up yo' ass.....MACE!!!....Ya daaaaaaamn right.


ROFLOL!


Double the laughter, though not necessarily rolling on the floor.
I'd like a qui-gon jinn please with an Obi-Wan to go.

Red heads ROCK. Blondes do not rock. Nuff said.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v72/greencapt/hansolovsindy.jpg
Author
Time
Quote

Originally posted by: Windexed
I'm glad SLJ is in the PT. However, I too think he is underused and isn't given enough to do. Another nitpick, is that I don't like his (or probably GL's) approach to the character. I know it's SW and that they speak with a 'classic' dialect, and that Mace is supposed to be this stoic Jedi master, but I still wish he were more lively and earthy. SLJ's best acting usually comes when he's allowed to be animated and intense. I'm not saying he has to be Jules, but he comes off as too wooden in the PT. There should have been a middle ground somewhere.


The man does have a really good range and its a shame when he can't use it. Heck, 'Jurassic Park' was on last night and I watched his bits- a great minor character who, IMHO, stole much of the show in his own little way.
Author
Time
Samuel L. Jackson has been one of my favorite actors ever since he was Senor Love Daddy in Spike Lee's Do the Right Thing. However, I like to hear him talk about his role in Star Wars more than watching him in Star Wars. His character is poorly written and does almost nothing. The only reason he is there seems to be so Yoda could tell Windu, and thus the audience, what he is thinking. But, if you get the chance to listen to an interview with Jackson on the subject of Star Wars, he is great. His discussion of how they shot the battle in Attack of the Clones is a lot more fun than the movie.
Author
Time
Samuel L Jackson isn't the problem, it is the character of Mace Windu which is. I mean, why is he the only person in the Star Wars universe with a purple lightsaber. Why couldn't he have blue/ green like everyone else. Why is he the special one?

SLJ's acting/ interpretation of the character is also terrible, and the "second baddest person of the universe" shouldn't be so clicheed.
If no-one can see the Force, is it really there?
Author
Time
Quote

Originally posted by: Jeten San Hett
Samuel L Jackson isn't the problem, it is the character of Mace Windu which is. I mean, why is he the only person in the Star Wars universe with a purple lightsaber. Why couldn't he have blue/ green like everyone else. Why is he the special one?

SLJ's acting/ interpretation of the character is also terrible, and the "second baddest person of the universe" shouldn't be so clicheed.


SLJ asked for a purple lightsaber......& got it...the answer is as simple as that!
Evil dude: "You do not no pain, you do not know fear. You will taste MAN FLESH"

Evil ugly dudes: "YIPPEEEEEEEEE!!!!"
Author
Time
Quote

Originally posted by: die-jarjar-die
SLJ asked for a purple lightsaber......& got it...the answer is as simple as that!


That is such a stupid reason, though. And for someone who likens himself the perfectionist that GL does, I'm surprised he folded to this request. That just seems so utterly inconsistent with the rest of the Jedi Order.
"You fell victim to one of the classic blunders, the most famous of which is 'Never get involved in a land war in Asia'."
--Vizzini (Wallace Shawn), The Princess Bride
-------------------------
Kevin A
Webmaster/Primary Cynic
kapgar.typepad.com
kapgar.com
Author
Time
GL may think he's a perfectionist, but I beg to differ. If he truly were a perfectionist, he wouldn't have made such crappy prequels! (hardy har har) But seriously, look at all the awful wigs, beards, merkins, ect because he insists on doing reshoots 8 months after filming has wrapped. Plus, he's more than happy to appease people when they want cameos. Remember N'sync?! Perfectionist, I think not.
40,000 million notches away
Author
Time
Sorry if I sound misinformed, but are you fucking joking? N'Sync did a cameo on one of the prequels?
Author
Time
During the filming of AOTC, N'sync was allowed to visit the set in Australia while they were filming the arena battle. It gets a little fuzzy here, but they ended up dressing up as arena Jedi and being filmed. This isn't a rumor, but there were plenty of rumors as to why they were there. Given that the arena Jedi were nothing more than LFL employees, I'm not surprised. Anyway, their footage ended up 'not being used'.
40,000 million notches away
Author
Time
Quote

Originally posted by: Windexed
GL may think he's a perfectionist, but I beg to differ. If he truly were a perfectionist, he wouldn't have made such crappy prequels! (hardy har har) But seriously, look at all the awful wigs, beards, merkins, ect because he insists on doing reshoots 8 months after filming has wrapped. Plus, he's more than happy to appease people when they want cameos. Remember N'sync?! Perfectionist, I think not.


I never said that in the eyes of the rest of the world he is a perfectionist. Just that he likens himself as one. I don't consider him an effective one either although I know he is anal retentive enough that his films should have wound up being perfect.
"You fell victim to one of the classic blunders, the most famous of which is 'Never get involved in a land war in Asia'."
--Vizzini (Wallace Shawn), The Princess Bride
-------------------------
Kevin A
Webmaster/Primary Cynic
kapgar.typepad.com
kapgar.com
Author
Time
Sorry, I wasn't trying to question what you said. I guess I worded it poorly. But I agree.
40,000 million notches away
Author
Time
Quote

Originally posted by: Windexed
During the filming of AOTC, N'sync was allowed to visit the set in Australia while they were filming the arena battle. It gets a little fuzzy here, but they ended up dressing up as arena Jedi and being filmed. This isn't a rumor, but there were plenty of rumors as to why they were there. Given that the arena Jedi were nothing more than LFL employees, I'm not surprised. Anyway, their footage ended up 'not being used'.


Yeah Windexed, I'm glad you used quotes on 'not being used'. I wouldn't be able to pick NSync out of a crowd if they were the only people standing in front of me and for that very reason I have to believe they WERE in one of the charging Jedi crowd shots and that GL just backpeddled because SW fans and the media were so ticked off. I can't imagine trying to use takes where they just didn't appear.
Author
Time
I think SLJ is cool in anything PROVIDED he's used correctly, which I have to say he's not been used well to this point.
Nemo me impune lacessit

http://ttrim.blogspot.com
Author
Time
^^Haha! Classic!
40,000 million notches away
Author
Time
If anything, Samuel L. Jackson should be a welcome distraction from some of the really unpleasant aspects of the prequels - like Anakin and Jar Jar.
I'd like a qui-gon jinn please with an Obi-Wan to go.

Red heads ROCK. Blondes do not rock. Nuff said.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v72/greencapt/hansolovsindy.jpg
Author
Time
Quote

Originally posted by: Bossk
Quote

Originally posted by: die-jarjar-die
SLJ asked for a purple lightsaber......& got it...the answer is as simple as that!


That is such a stupid reason, though. And for someone who likens himself the perfectionist that GL does, I'm surprised he folded to this request. That just seems so utterly inconsistent with the rest of the Jedi Order.


Well, technically story-wise, all Jedi (Younglings excluded, I assume) build their own lightsabers so Mace Windu could make his blade whatever color he wanted.

As for why Jackson wanted one... I guess only he can answer that question. Still, I think it's cool. BUt that's just me. (My Exile in KoToR 2 has a purple saber. And yes, she is female.)

4

Author
Time
Quote

Originally posted by: greencapt
My 2 Cents:

I don't mind seeing SLJ in the PT anymore than I mind seeing any other 'name' actor (Liam, Ewan, Natalie, etc). One of the things that let one latch onto the OT was the relatively unknown nature of the major players with a few 'genre' actors scattered about. That let you focus on the *story* more than the actors. That said, SLJ is a fine actor and I do feel he has too little to do in the PT. His 'party over' line was atrocious and out of place, but other than that I at least feel he takes the role very seriously and handles it respectfully. I also don't think the quality of a role should be determined by the amount of profanity a character uses- and trust me, I curse like a sailor...


You took the words out of my mouth. That's exactly my thoughts.

My Exile carries a Silver blade and a Purple one. My Revan carried a Red and a Purple(which Revan's shown using to 2). ^_^


Made for IE Forum's Episode III theme month - May 2005.