Sign In

A Goofy Movie - 4K HDR10 - DTS 2.0 HD-MA and DTS-X

Author
Time
 (Edited)

UPDATE 1/25/23
I was able to meet directly with Kevin Lima on this project for several hours via zoom after he reached out via email and Twitter. I’m excited to share that he was extremely complimentary of the work and fascinated by the process. I’ve arranged for him to receive a key encoded beta version of the video and audio master that he can review to offer any additional opinions on video/hdr/color and sound.

I was also gifted with a new and very rare/unexpected audio source that may surprise some of you - I know it did me - it has greatly aided and exceeded my expectations. I’ll share more on that when I am able.


Original Post:

Hello all!

I’m new to the site, so forgive me if I don’t know the rules on how to share this information.

For a little over 3 Years I’ve been working on doing a 4K restoration of Disney’s A Goofy Movie!

Check out this documentary I made about the restoration as well as the trailer on my page.

https://youtu.be/ADvT86DVHio

I won’t be sharing screenshots here as the video should be sufficient for showcasing the restoration work. (YouTube compression isn’t great - but I made sure to get the file bitrate as high as I could.)

Be sure to choose 2160p and HDR for the highest quality image.

I know that many of you are used to things being shared through links for download - but at this time my goal is to get this into the hands of the Director, Kevin Lima and make sure he sees it to offer some feedback. I know he was particularly disappointed in the DVD transfer, previous “DCP” and the Blu-ray which looks filmic, but heavily damaged, filtered and censored. Perhaps if people think it’s good enough it could be utilized by Disney themselves, since they don’t seem too interested in doing anything to clean up this catalog title.

The finalized files are very large Prores and DCP format and exceed 300GB in size.

Audio was finalized with base 7.1 layers and 4 overhead channels, currently encoded in DTS-X, but could also be encoded in ATMOS from the master remix sessions. (I don’t have an Atmos encoder.) Encodes are created in Dolby Digital Plus and standard 5.1, DTS-HD MA X, 7.1 and 5.1. Original theatrical track which was sourced from the Japanese and US laserdiscs (both in english) was preserved and encoded in DTS-HD MA 2.0 as well.

Overhead channels are utilized for reenforcement of chorus during songs, to provide atmosphere during lightning, thunder and rain, and a few spots towards the end of the film at the powerline concert, and when goofy’s car blows up.

An SDR version was also made in 4K, 1080p and 480i for DVD.

The censorship has been removed and a lot of time was spent stabilizing, dustbusting, color correcting, and remixing the sound. I hope you enjoy the documentary. Feel free to let me know if you have any questions.

And to quote the Disney film Bambi, “If you can’t say something nice, don’t say anything at all.”
This is not something I’m paid to do, just passionate about this film.
Hope you enjoy!

Author
Time

Hello and welcome to the site! (not that I’m anyone special here 😃)

Sounds like very hardcore work there. Impressive all over the place. Are you a pro doing this project in your spare time or just a very (very) advanced hobbyist?

Just from your one post there I very much hope Kevin Lima gets to see your work. I did a restoration on something that was directed by a big-timey person and he saw it and gave a thumbs up, which is a huge thrill of course. And you’ve likely seen the Brave Little Toaster thread, where the restorers there have some kind of contact with the director. So it’s not outside the realm of possibility.

LightWave = fun times with gfx for me 😃

Author
Time

WXM said:

Hello and welcome to the site! (not that I’m anyone special here 😃)

Sounds like very hardcore work there. Impressive all over the place. Are you a pro doing this project in your spare time or just a very (very) advanced hobbyist?

Just from your one post there I very much hope Kevin Lima gets to see your work. I did a restoration on something that was directed by a big-timey person and he saw it and gave a thumbs up, which is a huge thrill of course. And you’ve likely seen the Brave Little Toaster thread, where the restorers there have some kind of contact with the director. So it’s not outside the realm of possibility.

Thank you so much! I tweeted at the Director about it - he actually reached out to me this morning via Twitter and email. We are going to set up a zoom meeting for after Christmas to discuss further. Very exciting!

Author
Time

Just finished watching the video on my HDR monitor, and the dynamic range on the regraded footage looks stellar, particularly during the Powerline concert.

How did you manage to upmix the audio? If you’re ever looking to improve on that front, I highly recommend Penteo Surround Pro. To my knowledge and experience, it’s the only plugin that upmixes stereo audio without introducing additional perceptible artifacts, allowing the multichannel audio to fold back to its original format perfectly.

It’s… not cheap. The “plus” (+) variant of the plugin is even more expensive, but at the very least, the standard “Pro” version is absolutely worth it. I have the standard one, so if you ever need a cleaner upmix of the LaserDisc audio, I’d be more than happy to help.

“You missed! How could you miss-- he was THREE FEET in front of you!”
– Mushu

Author
Time

thebiggerpictures said:

Thank you so much! I tweeted at the Director about it - he actually reached out to me this morning via Twitter and email. We are going to set up a zoom meeting for after Christmas to discuss further. Very exciting!

Wow, that’s awesome! This makes me a slight weirdo I guess, but I LOVE the “Happy Working Song” and especially “That’s How You Know” bits from Enchanted (and I love the rest of the movie too). Those two are some of my fave things on screen this century, no joke. And you get to chat with the man who made it all! Very neat-o to say the least. May it go more than well 😃

Do you pull each other’s tails?
Do you feed each other seeds?

https://youtu.be/07frAlgGSE8?t=11
😄
No, there is something sweeter
Everybody needs…

LightWave = fun times with gfx for me 😃

Author
Time

I don’t suppose you could PM me any torrent/magnet links for this?. I have never seen A Goofy Movie before and would like to see it for the first time, in the best possible quality!.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

TonyWDA said:

Just finished watching the video on my HDR monitor, and the dynamic range on the regraded footage looks stellar, particularly during the Powerline concert.

How did you manage to upmix the audio? If you’re ever looking to improve on that front, I highly recommend Penteo Surround Pro. To my knowledge and experience, it’s the only plugin that upmixes stereo audio without introducing additional perceptible artifacts, allowing the multichannel audio to fold back to its original format perfectly.

It’s… not cheap. The “plus” (+) variant of the plugin is even more expensive, but at the very least, the standard “Pro” version is absolutely worth it. I have the standard one, so if you ever need a cleaner upmix of the LaserDisc audio, I’d be more than happy to help.

I tested Penteo - it was good, but I went with NUGEN Halo. I was really able to tweak the overhead activity better the way I wanted. I preserved the original theatrical before doing anything, since it upmixes to stereo surround just fine with no need for a basic upmix. But for the remix I actually did a lot more work after the upmix, adding in new pans to follow on screen action, swapping in music only tracks into certain channels, adding the musical chorus into the overheads for reinforcement during the musical numbers. Notable examples include when Roxanne calls Max at the opening of the film she does so from the areas where his eyes look for her. Rear right and right height, etc.

When the secretary is dancing with max and gets thrown off screen the pans follow her. A couple of car and truck pans during the driving scenes. Some overheads when Pete’s camper arrives along with some powerful LFE. Rain overheads during the scene outside Lester’s. Pretty Powerful LFE when Powerline’s crystal ball gets zapped twice. Major overheads during the on the open road plane flyover and when goofy’s car explodes at the end and he lands on/in Roxanne’s roof.

Author
Time

Virtus-Christi said:

I don’t suppose you could PM me any torrent/magnet links for this?. I have never seen A Goofy Movie before and would like to see it for the first time, in the best possible quality!.

Unfortunately I Can’t share this at this time since I’m not the legal copyright holder for distribution.

Even though I finished the restoration, Kevin Lima has now reached out - Once I get notes back from him I may make some tweaks. Once I get to that point and have some discussions with him (he owns his own company and no longer works for Disney) I’ll be able to make a decision on how to proceed - I definitely want people to see this, but I’m not doing it for profit - simply for the film’s fans and creative team - and don’t want a Disney lawyer at my door either.

Author
Time

thebiggerpictures said:

Virtus-Christi said:

I don’t suppose you could PM me any torrent/magnet links for this?. I have never seen A Goofy Movie before and would like to see it for the first time, in the best possible quality!.

Unfortunately I Can’t share this at this time since I’m not the legal copyright holder for distribution.

Even though I finished the restoration, Kevin Lima has now reached out - Once I get notes back from him I may make some tweaks. Once I get to that point and have some discussions with him (he owns his own company and no longer works for Disney) I’ll be able to make a decision on how to proceed - I definitely want people to see this, but I’m not doing it for profit - simply for the film’s fans and creative team - and don’t want a Disney lawyer at my door either.

We’ve posted a clip of the After today sequence showing before and after on our channel. I also scanned and cleaned the original theatrical poster and did a color repaint of it since the character colors were way off model. I’ll release that poster later, but I used the elements for it for the opening title on the comparison video as well.

https://youtu.be/O4uXOYAiXFU

Author
Time
 (Edited)

This is really awesome, great that this underrated gem is finally getting it’s due. I didn’t mind the blu-ray as it was but there’s always room for improvement!

“I love being me.”

Author
Time

I always wonder why licensed audio formats like DTS are used as opposed to FLAC. FLAC is actually a superior, lossless codec, although there are limitations with regards to object-based surround where Atmos and DTS-X are better.

For a film like The Goofy Movie, I think FLAC stereo would be the better option.

Author
Time

What source did you use for the censored scenes?

Author
Time

Class316 said:

What source did you use for the censored scenes?

A mix of sources - all depending on the shot, there was a PAL DVD upscaled in Topaz for 1 shot that was rotoscoped in for select frames (Dancing in the Principals office and Roxanne) and there was an HD 1080i version that wasn’t ever commercially released before the censorship and before the Blu-ray that was heavily damaged that I had access to that I used for the Powerline sequence and to remove the “spanx” added to the character “Treeny” when Goofy walks in on her changing backstage.

Author
Time

Virtus-Christi said:

I always wonder why licensed audio formats like DTS are used as opposed to FLAC. FLAC is actually a superior, lossless codec, although there are limitations with regards to object-based surround where Atmos and DTS-X are better.

For a film like The Goofy Movie, I think FLAC stereo would be the better option.

FLAC is a great codec, but it’s still ultimately lossless, just like the formats I used. DTS-HD MA 2.0 Stereo Surround is lossless and widely used on Blu-ray and 4K discs so I went with that since I have the encoder. DTS-X is what I used to encode the entire 7.1.4 mix I created.

Author
Time

Thank you so much for doing this. This is such a wonderful movie, I really appreciate all your work, brought me to tears watching your video.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

thebiggerpictures said:

Hello all!

I’m new to the site, so forgive me if I don’t know the rules on how to share this information.

For a little over 3 Years I’ve been working on doing a 4K restoration of Disney’s A Goofy Movie!

Check out this documentary I made about the restoration as well as the trailer on my page.

https://youtu.be/ADvT86DVHio

I won’t be sharing screenshots here as the video should be sufficient for showcasing the restoration work. (YouTube compression isn’t great - but I made sure to get the file bitrate as high as I could.)

Be sure to choose 2160p and HDR for the highest quality image.

I know that many of you are used to things being shared through links for download - but at this time my goal is to get this into the hands of the Director, Kevin Lima and make sure he sees it to offer some feedback. I know he was particularly disappointed in the DVD transfer, previous “DCP” and the Blu-ray which looks filmic, but heavily damaged, filtered and censored. Perhaps if people think it’s good enough it could be utilized by Disney themselves, since they don’t seem too interested in doing anything to clean up this catalog title.

The finalized files are very large Prores and DCP format and exceed 300GB in size.

Audio was finalized with base 7.1 layers and 4 overhead channels, currently encoded in DTS-X, but could also be encoded in ATMOS from the master remix sessions. (I don’t have an Atmos encoder.) Encodes are created in Dolby Digital Plus and standard 5.1, DTS-HD MA X, 7.1 and 5.1. Original theatrical track which was sourced from the Japanese and US laserdiscs (both in english) was preserved and encoded in DTS-HD MA 2.0 as well.

Overhead channels are utilized for reenforcement of chorus during songs, to provide atmosphere during lightning, thunder and rain, and a few spots towards the end of the film at the powerline concert, and when goofy’s car blows up.

An SDR version was also made in 4K, 1080p and 480i for DVD.

The censorship has been removed and a lot of time was spent stabilizing, dustbusting, color correcting, and remixing the sound. I hope you enjoy the documentary. Feel free to let me know if you have any questions.

And to quote the Disney film Bambi, “If you can’t say something nice, don’t say anything at all.”
This is not something I’m paid to do, just passionate about this film.
Hope you enjoy!

I actually do remember seeing 1995’s A Goofy Movie on VHS and on television when I was a young boy growing up, and so I would really like to thank you, sir, for doing your very best in trying and rescue and restore this underrated 1995 animated Disney classic from a very obscure oblivion at Disney’s own expense or perhaps some other fate that could be far worse than a loss of any kind or type.

Also, thebiggerpictures, if in case Disney and Kevin Lima would ever finally come to their very senses and actually rescue and really restore and remaster A Goofy Movie in the very official sense of the word, and especially in the way the director intended and in the way people first saw it in theaters and/or on its initial home video release, but only just in case, then I really do think that just such a restoration of A Goofy Movie should really be christened “Disney’s A Goofy Movie: The Kevin Lima Restoration” or something else like that.

But we’ll see about that.

Author
Time

Check out my major update to the original post. Pretty crazy stuff happening.

Author
Time

I’ve a receiver with Atmos/DTS:X, but I’d rather have DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0 since it’s more of the cinema experience.

Author
Time

I really hope this is put “out there” when done.

Author
Time

thebiggerpictures said:

AdmiralWasabi10191 said:

I’ve a receiver with Atmos/DTS:X, but I’d rather have DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0 since it’s more of the cinema experience.

I did both.

Nice. But I’m going to choose the original cinema mix instead of a remix. It’s what I tend to do for the 4K UHD discs I own, at least the titles which have the OG mix.

Author
Time

AdmiralWasabi10191 said:
Nice. But I’m going to choose the original cinema mix instead of a remix. It’s what I tend to do for the 4K UHD discs I own, at least the titles which have the OG mix.

Thanks for letting us all know. It really added to the quality of this thread.

Author
Time

stwd4nder2 said:

AdmiralWasabi10191 said:
Nice. But I’m going to choose the original cinema mix instead of a remix. It’s what I tend to do for the 4K UHD discs I own, at least the titles which have the OG mix.

Thanks for letting us all know. It really added to the quality of this thread.

No need to be condescending. Just stating my preference for original cinema audio mixes. Thankfully this preservation has it as DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0.