logo Sign In

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Well, its been 9 years since the attack.   I just thought I'd create a thread to talk about it.  I ask, out of respect for the day and the lives lost on it, that this thread remain serious. 

I was off from work that day.    I woke up after the first plane had hit the world trade center.  My mom called me from her work place to tell me what was going on.   By the time I had turned on the tv, both towers had been hit.  I answer my mom's phone call in my dad's office.  I turn on the tv in  there and remained in his office for the next 2 hours or so.   The images of the towers on fire, of the pentagon on fire,  will forever be burned into my mind.   But the image that really sticks out is the first tower collapsing.   It took a few seconds to hit me.   I had just watched thousands of humans die, live on tv.   It wasn't some movie, it wasn't some tv show.   Thousands had died, live on tv.    I then feared the 2nd tower was going to do the same, I left the room.  I didn't want to see it.   I waited, outside of dads office for a little while.   But I went back in before the second tower fell.  I saw it fall on tv.   It, is also burned into my mind.   After that, I got dressed.   I had my lunch.   I had already scheduled with the red cross to give blood that day.  So, I went out to the blood drive to give blood.  When I got there, the blood drive was packed.    I guess people were looking for a way to help, giving blood was a way to help.    After my father got home from his work place,  I asked him "was this like what was pearl harbor was"? (he was about 7 when the attack on pearl harbor happen)  He said "no, this is worse"  I will never forget his answer to my question.  I was deeply affected by what had happened for days afterwords  For some reason, it had me scared, really scared.  I didn't even know anyone that died in the attacks.

anyway those are my memories of the day. I just thought I'd share.    

edit: please keep conspiracy talk out of of this thread.   Thank you.

Author
Time

I'd gotten off of work that morning at 6 a.m., was sitting in my room of an apartment I shared with by older brother. I was flipping the channels when I saw the news alerts about the first plane hitting the tower. I kept wondering how the hell an airliner could hit the World Trade Center, I actually thought it had to be on purpose. I laid down in bed when I called my girlfriend (now my wife) as we did most mornings. She lived in Waco and was getting ready for her college class, I lived with my brother in an apartment close to where I used to work south of Dallas. We started talking about the plane hitting the tower, because she was watching the news as she was getting ready, and we both happened to be watching Fox News just when the second plane hit. We both sat silent for a moment and I remember exactly what I said, "We're under attack!" We were both in shock, not exactly sure we should believe what we had seen. Finally, she decided to get off the phone so she could go to school, she got there and found they were watching the tv in class, they told her she could stay or go, so she left. I stayed up most of the day watching the news, seeing the towers fall, etc. I had to be at work that night at 6 p.m., so I did sleep from about 2:30p-5p, but it wasn't really sleep. My wife had drove up to my apartment and had gotten in bed with me, we watched together. Of course, I went to work that night and we just crowded around the tv. I remember for several weeks after that, my job was never easier.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

I was working for a major insurance company at the time down in Southern England.

September tends to be a more quiet time in the Insurance trade (being on the other side of the spectrum from the hectic end of financial year, where activity becomes chaotic) so it was a rather slow paced day.

The first indication we had that something out of the ordinary was happening just after the lunch break.

They had a large communications centre on the top floor which passed financial information to all the different IFAs and department heads and in the middle of an uncharacteristic flurry of trading chaos they had briefly lost the feed to NY and the IT people were trying to figure out if this was an internal computer problem.

Our group manager who used to work on the IT team was one of the few people to have an external internet feed (dial up remember) and he was the one who passed on the news which he uncovered while trying to figure out the problem upstairs.

Initially there was some confusion as to if it was a bomb or an accidental fire because all we see was the smoke coming from the building (still pictures were all we were getting back then) and people couldn't make out any information about what had started it because we were not able to have the sound on (it had been disabled to reduce office noise). We all remembered the earlier bomb so many of us assumed this was a second attempt.

It then became a morbid game of Chinese whispers as the day progressed, as people clustered close to the internet machines would pass on updates via the internal message boards which sometimes got distorted.

By the time the Pentagon impact was announced stories of planes flying into buildings all over the world were being spread around the building.

Some of our office workers were sincerely expressing worry about being in an office building and many of our workers had friends and former colleagues who worked in the towers and were obviously distressed.

By the time I had got onto the train (filled with office workers passing information down the carriage from radio) and got home the scale of the attack became clear.

The towers became almost like a pair of prayer candles (a side effect of the abstract simplicity of the tower design), it went beyond any morbid fascination or rubber-necking.

It was more like people were willing those fire crews and office workers to safety which made the collapse of the towers all the more terrible.

I had been up to the top of South Tower in the early nineties and my memory of the height and sway of those majestic buildings and the shear scale of them (coupled with working in an office block myself) really brought the plight of the victims home to me.

We had been brought up with stories of the Blitz (the 70th anniversary of which is round the same time as this 9th) and we were very familiar through IRA attacks with acts of terrorism but the Blitz was almost mythical (being passed down from our grandparents) and the IRA attacks though frequent and horrific were not on the same scale. 9/11, was in terms of lives lost two IRA campaigns on one shocking day.

Author
Time

9/11 was a weird day for me , i was visiting a place i was injured in a bomb attack ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shankill_Road_bombing ) 8 years earlier . I was was with my wife this time and we were looking at the comemorative plaque remembering the innocent dead and i was telling her about my experience of what happened on that day. My wife and i were beginning to walk away when people started crowding around a next door shop listing to the radio , and we heard about the first tower coming down , when you hear something like that on the radio it doesnt sound real , to be honest it sounded something like the old War Of The Worlds broadcast from the thirties . After getting into the car in disbelief we turned on the radio and every channel had the attack on their stations , total shock and disbelief , how could this happen ?. By the time i got home the Belfast Telegraph had a picture of the attack on its front page . Every news channel in the U.K. had the attack live on t.v. .

Thats my experience of that day.

Author
Time

I first thought this was a thread about calling 911 from the title. Doh!

I remember watching TV and my friend rang me and told me to change channel.  I couldn't believe what I was seeing.  It just didn't seem possible.

Author
Time

I remember how horror slowly turned into a lust for Revenge.  Which led us into 2 wars with no end in sight,and still the borders are not protected well if people from mexico came easily come across them so can al quida.

“Always loved Vader’s wordless self sacrifice. Another shitty, clueless, revision like Greedo and young Anakin’s ghost. What a fucking shame.” -Simon Pegg.

Author
Time

I was in middle school at the time.  They told us nothing, so I didn't know anything until long after the attacks had actually happened (around 3:00 in the afternoon when I got home, when the attacks had happened at around 7:30 in the morning if I recall correctly).

I remember being very surprised that two airplanes would crash into two buildings, right next to each other.  It didn't occur to me that it was an attack until my parents explained everything to me after I'd spent about an hour watching the planes hit the towers on CNN over ... and over ... and over ... and over ...

Author
Time

I was stunned actually everyone was.  My Church even moved up service from Sunday to Saturday night, where there was no preaching really only stunned silence in morning for the dead.

“Always loved Vader’s wordless self sacrifice. Another shitty, clueless, revision like Greedo and young Anakin’s ghost. What a fucking shame.” -Simon Pegg.

Author
Time

Since im in Norway i didnt see it live but the image of the falling towers are etched in my mind. I dont see how killing thousands of civilians could bring forth any case that Taliban had against the West.

Laserdisc for life, Denon LA3500, Sony C2ex/+\Mdp999 “Hercules”
if you want to contribute: http://paypal.me/LDRevive

Author
Time

They succeeded in their mission it was to create chaos and fear.  What they did not think would happen was we would regroup and rebuild and come back stronger.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

I was at work and every body rushed to see that on the boss's TV. I stuck on my desk working. I didn't want to see this neither when it passed on TVs again and the first time I watched those "famous" planes was years after, through the courageous investigations of the victims's famillies (notably four women) who were not satisfied at all with the government & authorities explanations. Their pressure is at the origin of the government's effort made to give this laughable report which obviously tries more to hide any responsabilities than showing evidences. There are too much evidences revealed since then of the interests of powerful men behind this no matter what is still said today, and I can only bow to those people who sacrified their time, skills, and intelligence fighting for Truth.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

I was at work listening to sports radio and they cut in a few times before it was clear what was happening.  At some point they switched to a network news feed and the reports starting getting worse and worse.  I called my wife at home (she worked nights back then and was sleeping) and woke her up so she could see it on TV.  I had to wait until that night to see any clips - there was no TV in the office at all.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

skyjedi2005 said:

.... and rebuild .....

This is the part which infuriates me the most. After 9 years, we still have not built a successor to the twin towers. Both towers were fully constructed in 6 years. We built the Hoover Dam (Boulder Dam) in five years, the Empire State building in a year and a half, and the Burj Khalifa in five years. Yet, the red tape and bureaucracy has constricted the WTC successor. It is shameful and should be a primary focus of America.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

My personal take (and I appreciate the sensitive nature of the situation) would to have rebuilt the towers exactly as they were as soon as possible.

It would have been the ultimate signal to whoever was responsible that whatever they hoped to achieve had failed.

Over here two raised fingers means more than just victory and the two towers reborn would have been the ultimate tribute to the resolve of New Yorkers and defiance of Americans against those who wish to oppress them.

Over here we got more CCTV cameras, pointless and probably counter productive security measures in airports, millions wasted on a scrapped ID cards scheme, de facto militias arresting people for taking photographs in public spaces and involvement in at least one war with people who had nothing to do with the attacks against the will of the countries that make up our Kingdom.

None of this happened when the IRA were shooting and bombing us on a weekly basis, and the few sacrifices to personal freedoms we had to endure when the Nazis were raining hell on our cities for eight months were returned to us immediately.

The whole response to this terrible crime stinks as much as the crime itself.

Author
Time

Didn't trump want them rebuilt and to have 1 of the floors as a memorial but people said leave the site as is and don't profit off the dead, or something like that.

Author
Time

ferris209 said:

skyjedi2005 said:

.... and rebuild .....

This is the part which infuriates me the most. After 9 years, we still have not built a successor to the twin towers. Both towers were fully constructed in 6 years. We built the Hoover Dam (Boulder Dam) in five years, the Empire State building in a year and a half, and the Burj Khalifa in five years. Yet, the red tape and bureaucracy has constricted the WTC successor. It is shameful and should be a primary focus of America.

why is it so important to you to have successor at ground zero?   Why not just leave the ground as is? 

Author
Time

I had to check back in my diary in order to get the exact details.  Turns out I hadn't really forgotten anything.

I was in 10th grade at the time, 15 years old.  Any other day.  As soon as my friend and I got off the bus that morning, another friend of ours ran up and told us that a plane had crashed into the WTC.  Just from hearing it that way, I immediately assumed it was an accident.

My first class was Algebra II, and it was soon interrupted.  We spent the entire time just watching the class TV of the live events.  I think I might have missed the first tower collapsing, but I distinctly remember the second falling.  It was weird.  Once we knew the first tower had gone, it just seemed like a foregone conclusion that, any minute now, the second would as well.  And the way Tom Brokaw stated it at the moment it happened seemed like he was holding the same frame of mind.  Like Warbler said earlier, it was eerie knowing that you were watching thousands of lives end on live television.

I can't recall if 1st period lasted longer than normal, if the schedule was thrown off at all, but we did eventually go to our other classes.  I can't recall any real work happening, though.  We continued to watch the TV and talk about it.  I remember all the rumors flying around.  Someone seemed to be under the impression that Pakistan had claimed responsibility for the attacks.

It wasn't until I got home from school that afternoon that I first heard the name Osama bin Laden.  And I pretty much just watched TV the rest of the evening.  And according to my diary, I felt some annoyance when I heard the local kids playing outside as if this was just some ordinary day.

Interestingly enough, I also accepted my first date that night.  A girl from another school had asked me to her homecoming dance a few weeks before, and, being the hopeless, scared loser around girls I was then, I put off giving her an answer until unprecedented human tragedy goaded me into growing some cajones.  Sadly, that didn't really go anywhere in terms of actual romance, but she remains one of my closest friends to this day, so that's good at least...

There is no lingerie in space…

C3PX said: Gaffer is like that hot girl in high school that you think you have a chance with even though she is way out of your league because she is sweet and not a stuck up bitch who pretends you don’t exist… then one day you spot her making out with some skinny twerp, only on second glance you realize it is the goth girl who always sits in the back of class; at that moment it dawns on you why she is never seen hanging off the arm of any of the jocks… and you realize, damn, she really is unobtainable after all. Not that that is going to stop you from dreaming… Only in this case, Gaffer is actually a guy.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Bingowings said:

The whole response to this terrible crime stinks as much as the crime itself.

I agree wholeheartedly. The victory of that day is still something that can be legitimately basked in by those who committed the crime. It achieved its goal of terrorizing people, and now, nearly ten years later we are still living in terror.

Warb, the way I feel about the towers not having been rebuilt, and I think the way Ferris and Bingowings seem to feel about it as well, is that it is kind of an admission of defeat. Oh, okay, you knocked down our towers...

Rebuilding them ASAP would have been a really impressive stand. As if to say, You can blow up our buildings, you can kill our people, but you can't defeat us. You can spill the innocent blood of countless civilians, but you can't break our spirits. You knocked down our towers, but they didn't stay down. You, with your archaic low down ways failed... and against us, you will NEVER succeed.

Rebuilding them would have been a fantastic declaration of defiance... but unfortunately, nothing I said in the above sentence is true. They may not have defeated us, but we haven't defeated them either, they still remain plenty strong. They did break our spirits, the towers did stay down, and their archaic ways succeeded in ways I would have never imagined possible at the time. They are the clear victors in all of this, and we have done just slightly more than nothing to rain on their parade.

"Every time Warb sighs, an angel falls into a vat of mapel syrup." - Gaffer Tape

Author
Time

You said it, C3PX.  And now all this bullshit going on surrounding the mosque ... it seems every year I get more and more fed up with my country's bullshit.

On September 11, 2001 or nation reeled at the sight of a true tragedy, and that brought us together.  For the next few months, it seemed that everyone was truly proud to be an American.  I know I was.

But I'm not anymore.  And I haven't been for quite some time.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

C3PX said:

They did break our spirits, the towers did stay down, and their archaic ways succeeded in ways I would have never imagined possible at the time.

in what ways do you think they've succeeded.

C3PX said:

They are the clear victors in all of this, and we have done just slightly more than nothing to rain on their parade.

what do you think we should have done to rain on their Parade?   I'd love to get Bin Laden, but it seems the only way to do that would be to invade Pakistan.   Invading Pakistan, a country with nuclear weapons, could be disastrous.  

ChainsawAsh said:

But I'm not anymore.  And I haven't been for quite some time.

it is getting more and more difficult.  

Author
Time

I was an expatriate at the time, so I missed out on the whole being brought together bit. Made life interesting. I had three nearly violent encounters in the months that followed 9/11 and the beginning of Operation Enduring Freedom, thanks to my painfully American appearance. And I had at least twice as many awkward encounters with people trying to share their sorrow with me, and comfort me for the sorrow they knew I must have been experiencing. I got angry emails from my old friends back home, and they made me feel really grateful I was away. I found their attitudes about the whole thing extremely unpleasant.

Operation Enduring Freedom made for kind of an embarrassing time to be an expatriate. Everyone around me was waiting for the newly awakened sleeping dragon to snap into action and leave the world in awe, proving once again that you simply don't mess with America. Instead several of our first casualties came from our own stupid chopper crashes, not from actual combat. I remember being in a bar watching the news and hearing someone comment, "If the Americans keep on killing themselves like this, the war is going to be over in no time."

My personal 9/11 story doesn't differ much from anyone else, except for the fact that my story doesn't include the phrase "I was shocked". I wasn't. I still don't think there was much to be shocked about. This wasn't our first terror attack from the now infamous Al Qaeda. It wasn't even the first attack on the WTC. It was a horrible thing that happened, and shocking in the details of the surprising way it was pulled off. I was expecting something of even greater magnitude to be hitting any day (as I am once again at this very moment), and was actually fairly relieved as the death toll continued to shrink. It could have been a lot worse.

"Every time Warb sighs, an angel falls into a vat of mapel syrup." - Gaffer Tape

Author
Time

Wow.  It is always interesting to hear these stories from perspectives outside of America, or from an expatriated American outside of America.  It's really fascinating.

There is no lingerie in space…

C3PX said: Gaffer is like that hot girl in high school that you think you have a chance with even though she is way out of your league because she is sweet and not a stuck up bitch who pretends you don’t exist… then one day you spot her making out with some skinny twerp, only on second glance you realize it is the goth girl who always sits in the back of class; at that moment it dawns on you why she is never seen hanging off the arm of any of the jocks… and you realize, damn, she really is unobtainable after all. Not that that is going to stop you from dreaming… Only in this case, Gaffer is actually a guy.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

C3PX said:I was expecting something of even greater magnitude to be hitting any day (as I am once again at this very moment),

what are you expecting?

C3PX said:

and was actually fairly relieved as the death toll continued to shrink. It could have been a lot worse.

3000 is not what I call a small death toll.  

C3PX said:

I got angry emails from my old friends back home,

if its not too personal, why were they angry at you?

Author
Time
 (Edited)

C3PX said:

... This wasn't our first terror attack from the now infamous Al Qaeda.

I can't believe what I'm reading here... I haven't seen the least evidence of it.

As further reply though I could only suggest people taking a look at the courageous and serious investigation work(s) I have mentioned in my first post above. Not something I'd discuss here (due to my poor language, and also due to the original purpose of this site). I'm only throwing the bottle.

Author
Time

Warbler said:

C3PX said:

They did break our spirits, the towers did stay down, and their archaic ways succeeded in ways I would have never imagined possible at the time.

in what ways do you think they've succeeded.

They got the world to be afraid and live in fear. I used to spend a lot of time in airports, and at one point I thoroughly enjoyed traveling by plane. Since the end of 2001 it has become a miserable process, I now absolutely dread it. We are still living in that fear to this day. Some would even argue that every time we loose one of our troops in Afghanistan or Iraq, he or she is yet another casualty of 9/11.

The Qur'an burning threats. The big stink about the Islamic Center in Manhattan. The aftershock of 9/11 lives.