logo Sign In

7.1 vs 5.1 vs stereo vs mono

Author
Time

Hello, everybody.

We all know the changes GL made in the special edition(s), both the visual changes and audio changes. But I wonder what's the difference between the mixes? The official Blu ray claims to have 7.1 surround sound, but since I don't have a 7.1 surround set-up, I can't confirm it. So, for those of you that have that kind of set-up hooked up to your Blu ray-player, what does sound like? Is it simply a up-mix of the 5.1 mix from the DVD or is it a new mix altogether? And, while I'm at it, is the 5.1 mix from the DVD a up-mix from a stereo mix? Can someone help me?

Currently enjoying Disney Infinity 3.0

Author
Time

I believe that the Blu-Ray's are actually 6.1, which is essentially a regular 5.1 mix with an added mono rear channel that would mean that the two rear speakers in a 7.1 setup would have the same output. I don't have a 7.1 setup so don't know what it sounds like separated, but DTS-HD MA tracks should be matrixed down to 5.1 when played through a 5.1 system so you hear those elements mixed with the other surround elements anyway.

I don't know specific details about the blu-ray mixes, but the audio has been given the same treatment as the video and has been tweaked again so it must be a new mix with a true 6.1 channel map.

The 5.1 mix from the DVD was an entirely new mix made from original elements, but is Dolby Digital EX, meaning it can be matrixed up to 6.1 or 7.1.

Its quieter than previous mixes because of hiss-removal. Its also a bad mix, surround elements are on the wrong sides in places. The 5.1 mix from the '97 Special Editions is the best 'official' 5.1 mix I've heard, but was only released on LaserDisc.

Author
Time
I have a 7.1 set up (Sony STRDH820 - it will accommodate a 7.2 set-up but I don't need or have the room for another subwoofer) and can't give anything more technical than it sounds bloomin' marvellous.  ROTS is still rather lacking in the bass department, though.
That's some bad hat, Harry