logo Sign In

7/20/69

Author
Time
So the 20th has passed without a mention of what has been called the greatest moment of the 20th century? Anyone do anything in commeration or has anyone even heard anything in the news?
Author
Time
Greatest moment of the 20th century? More like the greatest moment of history it's self.
Author
Time
Originally posted by: Sluggo
So the 20th has passed without a mention of what has been called the greatest moment of the 20th century? Anyone do anything in commeration or has anyone even heard anything in the news?
I don't celebrate hoaxes.....

And apparently neither does the media....good for them....

I love everybody. Lets all smoke some reefer and chill. Hug and kisses for everybody.

Author
Time
Probably because it's almsot-40-year-old news and we haven't been back there in a while.

And vBangle, I serioulsy hope you're joking about the hoax thing.

Author
Time
You would almost think it requires a Cold War to push the technology and development to the limit.
Fez: I am so excited about Star Whores.
Hyde: Fezzy, man, it's Star Wars.
Author
Time
Originally posted by: Arnie.d
You would almost think it requires a Cold War to push the technology and development to the limit.

No, just the willingness to sacrifice some things and a non "me me me" attitude. Both are things Americans are sorely lacking these days.
F Scale score - 3.3333333333333335

You are disciplined but tolerant; a true American.

Pissing off Rob since August 2007.
Author
Time
I'm listening to the unedited, unaired broadcast--"I am walking on the fucking moon...jesus christ in a chicken basket!"

In the end I guess the whole "we must go to the moon" thing reveals itself as the mere piece of Cold War propoganda that we all hoped it WOULDN'T be. We went there as a symbol of superior power to the communists, and were it not for the Russian space race there would be no incentive to do so. Sad, but all the optimism about it being to do with scientific and exploratory new frontiers I guess is BS in the end. Lets hope the terrorists vow to make a trip to mars--its the only way we'll get there!
Author
Time
Originally posted by: zombie84
I'm listening to the unedited, unaired broadcast--"I am walking on the fucking moon...jesus christ in a chicken basket!"

In the end I guess the whole "we must go to the moon" thing reveals itself as the mere piece of Cold War propoganda that we all hoped it WOULDN'T be. We went there as a symbol of superior power to the communists, and were it not for the Russian space race there would be no incentive to do so. Sad, but all the optimism about it being to do with scientific and exploratory new frontiers I guess is BS in the end. Lets hope the terrorists vow to make a trip to mars--its the only way we'll get there!

Are you that much of an ass? There were scientific and exploratory reasons. If there weren't, we would've just kept sending unmanned vehicles. Yeah, the primary reason to get a man to the moon was to show that we could do it. The Soviets had the same reason, they were just a lot unsafer about it. Go ahead and read up on the Russian space program sometime. They killed plenty of men in their quest to be first. That's the only reason they were first in a lot of things except the moon. Whoever could reach the moon first could also launch missiles at their enemy. Thankfully we won the race. Everything after that was icing on the cake and pretty much for scientific study.

It took 11 missions (crew died in the first and the next 6 were unmanned) to get to the moon. Everything after that was pretty much for scientific research. Do you really think the military would've funded something like that? They just wanted a rocket they could fire on Russia from the US.

The terrorist will never make a trip to Mars. They're to busy fighting themselves and everyone else to pull something like that off.

Author
Time
Originally posted by: lordjedi

are you that much of an ass? There were scientific and exploratory reasons. If there weren't, we would've just kept sending unmanned vehicles. Yeah, the primary reason to get a man to the moon was to show that we could do it. .[The Soviets had the same reason, they were just a lot unsafer about it.

That's all I was saying. That's why we've scarcely gone back, why support for it pettered out to the point where we couldn't afford it after we had showed the Russians and planted the flag, and why there's not any further serious interest in the matter. Of course there is scientific matters before and since--NASA is not a US propaganda agency--but the primary motivation for "the space race" and thus the lunar landing was Cold War related (thats why it was a space race--you have to have an opponent); it took national and presidential backing, and it had very little to do with the exploration itself of simply going to the moon for the sake of it, the push that led to the support needed to actually accomplish the feat was entirely Cold War related. No need to get your panties in a wad for pointing out accepted historic fact.

Author
Time
Originally posted by: lordjedi

are you that much of an ass? There were scientific and exploratory reasons. If there weren't, we would've just kept sending unmanned vehicles. Yeah, the primary reason to get a man to the moon was to show that we could do it. .[The Soviets had the same reason, they were just a lot unsafer about it.

That's all I was saying. That's why we've scarcely gone back, why support for it pettered out to the point where we couldn't afford it after we had showed the Russians and planted the flag, and why there's not any further serious interest in the matter. Of course there is scientific matters before and since--NASA is not a US propaganda agency--but the primary motivation for "the space race" and thus the lunar landing was Cold War related (thats why it was a space race--you have to have an opponent); it took national and presidential backing, and it had very little to do with the exploration itself of simply going to the moon for the sake of it, the push that led to the support needed to actually accomplish the feat was entirely Cold War related. No need to get your panties in a wad for pointing out accepted historic fact.

Sorry about that. I was just pissed off with all of sean's moronic posting lately and you happen to get in the way. I guess I totally misread your tone. Again, sorry about that.

Author
Time
Lets hope the terrorists vow to make a trip to mars--its the only way we'll get there!

Heh. That's sad but true. We have the technology to explore further, we simply don't have the will.

"Now all Lucas has to do is make a cgi version of himself.  It will be better than the original and fit his original vision." - skyjedi2005

Author
Time
Sadly there are too many "Let's solve all the problems here before we go into space" folks running around. Like THAT will ever happen. Space exploration seems to be the only outrageously expensive government program that tax & spenders actually don't like. Well, that and defense spending.

Red Colony
Nemo me impune lacessit

http://ttrim.blogspot.com
Author
Time
Ask ten different scientists about the environment, population control, genetics and you'll get ten different answers, but there's one thing every scientist on the planet agrees on. Whether it happens in a hundred years or a thousand years or a million years, eventually our Sun will grow cold and go out. When that happens, it won't just take us. It'll take Marilyn Monroe and Lao-Tzu, Einstein, Morobuto, Buddy Holly, Aristophanes .. and all of this .. all of this was for nothing unless we go to the stars.
--Commander Jeffrey Sinclair, Babylon 5

I am fluent in over six million forms of procrastination.