logo Sign In

5-25-77 Documentary — Page 3

Author
Time
 (Edited)
Since Fanboys finally got released, will this movie ever see the big screen? imdb says it's been renamed '77. They should push a double feature grindhouse style release with Fanboys...

I'm guessing that Fanboys got put out around the anniversary of the PT and new clone wars show, which is the focus of the film, then maybe '77 will get released around the time the new tv series gets put out and whatever anniversary that maybe.... if it wants support from TPTB.

But '77 has has premiered (and won an award):
http://blog.spout.com/2008/10/20/77-formerly-5-25-77-review-hamptons-film-festival-2008/
director responds in the comments, hopefully we'll see this soon.

Author
Time

'77 -  my favourite year ever!  This movie sounds awesome.  :)

Author
Time

Thanks for sharing the article, none. I was just wondering if this movie was ever going to see the light of day.

You know of the rebellion against the Empire?

Author
Time

Looks like things are taking a positive turn:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bluKcxtUAhE

Writer/Director Patrick Read Johnson (DragonHeart, Baby's Day Out, Angus) is making history by driving across America to save his award-winning film, 5-25-77! We--The Hearts of Dorkness team--are following along with him, recording his experiences, and sharing them with you here on YouTube and on our website, http://www.heartsofdorkness.com

Author
Time

I saw a rough cut of it a few years ago. I'm rooting for him and not just because he directed one of my favorite films (Spaced Invaders).

Forum Moderator
Author
Time

I was hoping this thread was going to have slightly better news. :(

I'd really like to see/support this film!

IT'S MY TRILOGY, AND I WANT IT NOW!

"[George Lucas] rebooted the franchise in 1997 without telling anyone." -skyjedi2005

"Yeah, well, George says a lot of things..." a young 1997 xhonzi on RASSM

"They're my movies." -George Lucas. 19 people won oscars for their work on Star Wars (1977) and George Lucas wasn't one of them.

Rewrite the Prequels!

Author
Time

Since "Fanboys" (the movie) didn't set the box office on fire, I've worried that there's a perception with the suits there's no audience for this film.

Forum Moderator

Where were you in '77?

Author
Time

SilverWook said:

Since "Fanboys" (the movie) didn't set the box office on fire, I've worried that there's a perception with the suits there's no audience for this film.

They've had some kind of problem for a lot longer than Fanboys. I saw a rough cut of 5-25-77 in 2007. I think both were shot around the same time. Fanboys just won the coin toss.

Forum Moderator
Author
Time

xhonzi wrote: I'd really like to see/support this film!

Here's the direct fund raising effort, they are looking to get 30k.

https://fundrazr.com/campaigns/1JIQb

This Heart of Dorkness seems to be a way to strum up interest and a way to create additional material for a DVD release.  and explain why the project languished and had these odd starts and stops.  It's not impossible but would be odd to get a theatrical release at this point.  John Daley doesn't look the same anymore.  But that's no reason not to try.

Author
Time

This movie is in a weird position, the Star Wars connection isn't the source of goodwill it would have been a few years ago. Maybe they should de-emphasize it. (plus, I think we now have the weird situation where even current Star Warsies aren't necessarily going to support it, they've been getting all pissed and resentful about nostalgia and putting the old movies on a pedestal, that one guy with the angry prequel blog might have a rage stroke). 

Author
Time

none said:

This Heart of Dorkness seems to be a way to strum up interest and a way to create additional material for a DVD release.  and explain why the project languished and had these odd starts and stops.  It's not impossible but would be odd to get a theatrical release at this point.  John Daley doesn't look the same anymore.  But that's no reason not to try.

Thanks, none! I will take a look.

IT'S MY TRILOGY, AND I WANT IT NOW!

"[George Lucas] rebooted the franchise in 1997 without telling anyone." -skyjedi2005

"Yeah, well, George says a lot of things..." a young 1997 xhonzi on RASSM

"They're my movies." -George Lucas. 19 people won oscars for their work on Star Wars (1977) and George Lucas wasn't one of them.

Rewrite the Prequels!

Author
Time

none said:

Unless some reshoots were needed, does anyone have to look now like they did several years back?

Forum Moderator

Where were you in '77?

Author
Time

Baronlando said:

This movie is in a weird position, the Star Wars connection isn't the source of goodwill it would have been a few years ago. Maybe they should de-emphasize it. (plus, I think we now have the weird situation where even current Star Warsies aren't necessarily going to support it, they've been getting all pissed and resentful about nostalgia and putting the old movies on a pedestal, that one guy with the angry prequel blog might have a rage stroke). 

As Phantom Menace is 13 years old now, they are running out of time on that silly argument. ;)

Going by the trailers I've seen, a good chunk of 70's SF/fantasy is represented in the film. It isn't a Star Wars geek film, since the fandom didn't really exist in early 1977.

Forum Moderator

Where were you in '77?

Author
Time
 (Edited)

SilverWook said:

It isn't a Star Wars geek film, since the fandom didn't really exist in early 1977.

You'll just have to see it. ;)

Forum Moderator
Author
Time

Baronlando wrote: Star Wars connection isn't the source of goodwill it would have been a few years ago. Maybe they should de-emphasize it.

Tobar wrote: I saw a rough cut of 5-25-77 in 2007.

From what i've read the main gist of the movie is not Star Wars, it's just the launching point/eureka moment.  So Tobar, how critical is the Star Wars connection in the version you saw?  And what did it seem was missing which this money could be going towards.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Tobar said:

SilverWook said:

It isn't a Star Wars geek film, since the fandom didn't really exist in early 1977.

You'll just have to see it. ;)

I think I catch your drift, so I'll refine it to mean not geeky the way Fanboys was. Those who were there at the beginning sensed Star Wars was going to be something special, but that's all we knew. ;)

One thing I took away from the trailer is the main character is driven by that desire to create that is often difficult for others to understand. (Something a lot of us here can relate to.) That's one aspect any promotion ought to emphasize.

Forum Moderator

Where were you in '77?

Author
Time
 (Edited)

none said:

From what i've read the main gist of the movie is not Star Wars, it's just the launching point/eureka moment.  So Tobar, how critical is the Star Wars connection in the version you saw?  And what did it seem was missing which this money could be going towards.

It's an autobiographical tale of something that happened to the director of this film. It's about his journey as a young man and Star Wars plays a very important role in the film. (hence the title)

From what I saw I'd say they don't need to shoot anymore in fact if I remember correctly it was kinda long. But I know they had special effects shots they still needed to finish and probably some sound stuff. So all post production work I'd say.

Forum Moderator
Author
Time

Why is someone making a movie about my high school locker combination?

Author
Time

Because, when the stars are right, that locker combination is capable of opening a doorway to the Ninth Circle of Hell.

Author
Time

From what I've seen of this, this looks like a more 70s-esque film than Super 8 did, and that had a much larger budget (But then again, I wasn't born in the 70s so I don't know the ins and outs of the time). Will definitely be having a look out for this when it's finished and in the can.

<span style=“font-weight: bold;”>The Most Handsomest Guy on OT.com</span>

Author
Time

Harry Knowles talks to Patrick Read Johnson:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibohxrzqzjk

via:tf.n  (the nerdist channel has lots of other interesting things)

Author
Time

I could have sworn there were more threads about this but this was the only one I've seen. After all, I'm pretty sure I first heard about this movie here.

I got back a few hours ago from seeing 5-25-77 at the Michigan Theater in the Cinetopia film festival. Even got a picture with the director.

Very cool film. Still not completely finished so somewhat of a rough cut.

Anyways, he said they were close to getting some kind of distribution deal done so no need for a torrent anymore.

There's also going to be a documentary about the making of the movie called Hearts of Dorkness, and more info can apparently be found at the site with that name.

Take back the trilogy. Execute Order '77

http://www.youtube.com/user/Knightmessenger