logo Sign In

5-25-77 Documentary

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Well, I haven’t heard of this before, and since the search-function on this board is as helpful as flushing the toilet, I don’t know if you have:

Teaser

Trailer

Author
Time
I turned six years old on that day- were those broken links to scans of birthday cards people sent me?
Author
Time
Oops... obvioously the filmmakers asked the teasers to be taken off the web. At least there are some pics on the official page:

http://www.5-25-77.com/
Author
Time
thats the movie produced by gary kurtz, isnt it about the opening day of star wars?
Author
Time
I hope this is coming out in time for the 30th anniversary.
Forum Moderator

Where were you in '77?

Author
Time
maybe this movie is about a kids who goes back to the opening day of Star Wars and tells GL not to make SE's LMFAO
Author
Time
I've heard of that yesterday, on TFN, and it looks like interesting. You know, I'm too young for have seen Star Wars in '77, and I'd really like to see what was the atmosphere at this time, in US. I know, it's not a documentary, but I guess that this will reflect some really good aspects of that time.
So, I'd really like to watch this film.
Author
Time
There's also no way in hell they can use the special edition for any scenes set inside the movie theater.
Forum Moderator

Where were you in '77?

Author
Time
I've heard of this movie for ages. It seems like it will never see the light of day. I hope it will, but it seems very, very buried even tho it's finished.
Author
Time
Well, IMDB changed the movie's status to "post-production" on december 31... and it does have a release date as well. Let's hope that thi thing is coming out (the trailers are really cool, try to find them "some other way").
Author
Time
Looks like a SW-centric 'Dazed and Confused' which could be very very cool. And for those who weren't alive or just born it WAS a magical time. Seriously. Hell, 1977-1980 were just awesome times to be a kid and be a movie fan. You must remember that this is before the days of the 30 screen theaters with 15 shows of each film per day. My home town had one movie theater with two screens. You maybe got 5 shows a day. 'Star Wars' was such a multi-generational film that it seemed *everyone* had to see it. All ages, both sexes- no racial boundries, etc.

And to my 6 year old eyes and mind there was magic before I even sat down in the theater with my mom- I could barely comprehend why there was a 3/4 of a mile long line (literally) of happy excited people waiting to see this film. And not some die-hards who camped out for weeks either- these were normal everyday people. And afterwards everyone talked about it... for weeks and months afterwards. There wasn't the buzz-factory and Hollywood crap that shoved down our throats every week these days to get us to waste $10 on some over-hyped movie-du-jour. This was the real deal. Pre-internet good ole human love of good cinema. Good entertaining cinema that had accessible human characters thrust into situations that were familiar feeling but entirely new. And tickets were affordable enough that people would go back to see films over and over- in no small part due to the fact that there was no home video market. People used to count the times they went to films and wear those numbers as bragging rights. Hell between the intial release and subsequent re-releases of 'Star Wars' I saw it in the theater 27 times. And I do not count the one viewing of the SE as #28 either.

Being a part of that experience was absolutely my 'first step into a larger world' and part of me actually is saddened that anyone else had to experience it any other... but that's life, right?
Author
Time
i think blockbusters arent special anymore because thats mostly what hollywood makes now, therefore they become less special
Author
Time
Originally posted by: battlewars
i think blockbusters arent special anymore because thats mostly what hollywood makes now, therefore they become less special

Problem is you can't MAKE a blockbuster. Very few films that went into existence with the expectation of *being* a blockbuster ever become one. And I don't mean just making a decent release weekend boxoffice By definition a 'blockbuster' is something, such as a film or book, that sustains widespread popularity and achieves enormous sales. Not just good first weekend. Bloated expensive films are a dime a dozen and realistically, even with DVD sales and overseas revenue, studios will reach a point that it just isn't worth spending $200 million to have a total take of $250 million when all is said and done. Instead of trying to be the biggest or loudest film they should focus on getting the best film out of the money they are budgeted for.

Actually I just had a cool idea! (Well, cool to me at least) What if, as an experiment, a current filmmaker were to be given a budget equivalent in today's dollars to the budget of the original 'Star Wars' and given the task of completely re-making 'The Phantom Menace' (or maybe any of the PT) using ONLY that budget and ONLY 70s-era movie tech? The goal would be to see if the vision and the script could be enough to make a good picture instead of just relying on dazzling effects to fill in gaps. Hmmm... just a thought.
Author
Time
Originally posted by: skye_solo
I've heard of this movie for ages. It seems like it will never see the light of day. I hope it will, but it seems very, very buried even tho it's finished.

Why? I mean, it looks professional and all. Hell, they've got Lloyd in there doing some sort of role. I don't think that he would star in some student film. Plus, Gary Kurtz's name is on there too.

This looks quite interesting. I really hope that I'll get to see this, some how. Maybe even in the theater. Though at the bottom of the page is looks like a low budget fan film or something. I doubt it will come to any Cineplex...

What exactly is this movie about?
"I am altering the movies. Pray I don't alter them any further." -Darth Lucas
Author
Time
so this movies got no distributor? how the hell are we supposed to see it then?
Author
Time
I must see this movie too. I hope it gets a distributor. It definitely deserves it.
Author
Time
When was this movie completed? Why no distributer yet? This movie must be seen.
Author
Time
The director Patrick Read Johnson responded on the imdb message boards that there are 5 days left of filming that will take place in early February.
I have been very scared the movie wouldn't be released, but he said it WILL be at theatres. Whether it's a small or wide release is up in the air right now.
But I am so glad. Needs to be seen in a theatre!
Author
Time
And even if I can't see it in the theater, there is always the DVD. This move (I hope) is gonna be awesome.
Author
Time

I am looking more forward to this, than anything Lucas is gonna do for the 30th Anniversary of Star Wars.....
Author
Time
Originally posted by: Mr Bungle
I am looking more forward to this, than anything Lucas is gonna do for the 30th Anniversary of Star Wars.....

What if he released the OOT that year?
Author
Time
Originally posted by: Adamwankenobi
Originally posted by: Mr Bungle

What if he released the OOT that year?

Well yes, that would be different case completly, Im happy with the great discs the great editors and preservation people turn out here, so I have no real interest in the "Archival" set other than the extras if they include things like the deleted scenes etc but i am not parting with my cash just for the extras. and seeing the films in 3-D doesnt appeal to me, i may have wanted to make the effort if they were shown normally not in 3-D