Sign In

4k77 - shot by shot color grading — Page 4

Author
Time
 (Edited)

hairy_hen said:

I don’t know, when you take the green out, to me it starts to look pretty red.

The green is actually flattering to the cinematography. It blends well with the other colors and creates an interesting look that totally works. I wouldn’t want it to be eliminated, just brought to a point that certain anomalous shots aren’t ludicrously swamped in it.

Thanks for the feedback everyone! Don’t worry my preferred version is also with the green, but since the balanced version is only a single LUT correction I might also create a balanced version for those that don’t like the color cast.

Here’s an update for both versions.

Technicolor version:

Balanced version:

Here are direct comparisons between the two versions:

http://www.framecompare.com/image-compare/screenshotcomparison/FJ2JNNNU

http://www.framecompare.com/image-compare/screenshotcomparison/FJ21NNNU

Author
Time

Guess my eyes and/or monitor are shot… I can’t tell the difference between “tab 1” and “tab 2” in either of the two links above!

Bluto

Author
Time

Did I understand correctly that this color grading will be available for us to watch when it is finished? Because then I probably have no hurry to download the current version available (non-DNR etc).

Author
Time

bromeo said:

Did I understand correctly that this color grading will be available for us to watch when it is finished? Because then I probably have no hurry to download the current version available (non-DNR etc).

Yes, but it will be a pretty long time before it’s finished, meaning 6+ months.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Bluto said:

Guess my eyes and/or monitor are shot… I can’t tell the difference between “tab 1” and “tab 2” in either of the two links above!

Bluto

The difference should be quite subtle. I’ll try to see if I can make the difference more apparent, but it won’t be night and day.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

DrDre said:

Yes, but it will be a pretty long time before it’s finished, meaning 6+ months.

I think I can live with the other versions until then. It’s always nice to have something to look forward to.
Thank you for doing this, highly appreciated!

Author
Time

Dr. Dre I love that you’re doing both the blu ray and 4K77 simultaneously in the same colors. There is kind of a crystal clarity to the blu ray in places… when you’re finished it might be fun to do a “Harmy style light” rendition mixing and matching the two to make something even more than the sum of its parts.

These are good times for fans of the original films are they not?? We’ve come a long way from having to upscale the GOUT DVD’s. 😃

Author
Time

Dreamaster said:

Dr. Dre I love that you’re doing both the blu ray and 4K77 simultaneously in the same colors. There is kind of a crystal clarity to the blu ray in places… when you’re finished it might be fun to do a “Harmy style light” rendition mixing and matching the two to make something even more than the sum of its parts.

These are good times for fans of the original films are they not?? We’ve come a long way from having to upscale the GOUT DVD’s. 😃

Thanks! 😃 Yes, we’ve come a long way, and we’re still learning thanks to this brilliant community!

Author
Time
 (Edited)

bromeo said:

DrDre said:

Yes, but it will be a pretty long time before it’s finished, meaning 6+ months.

I think I can live with the other versions until then. It’s always nice to have something to look forward to.
Thank you for doing this, highly appreciated!

You’re welcome!

Author
Time
 (Edited)

hi dre! let me ask you a question that my stupid brain can’t compute: if you’re going to release it as a LUT, wouldn’t it be appliable to both the blu-ray and 4K77 and achieve the same results? or does a LUT depend on the source and that’s why you’re doing one for each?

Author
Time

Collipso said:

hi dre! let me ask you a question that my stupid brain can’t compute: if you’re going to release it as a LUT, wouldn’t it be appliable to both the blu-ray and 4K77 and achieve the same results? or does a LUT depend on the source and that’s why you’re doing one for each?

Yes, it depends on both the source and the reference. A LUT is a set of factors that translate the colors of one value to the other.

Author
Time

oh, i see. thanks! and thanks for this project - it’s absolutely amazing! it’s probably the most beautiful version of Star Wars i’ve ever seen and will ever see. congrats. i’m looking forward to this.

Author
Time

Wait, I am a bit confused Dre. Sorry in advance for the dumb question.

I thought that your regraded 4k77 and Blu-Ray (btw I like the green cast as well), would be shot by shot and that is why it would take more than 6 months to complete. But it’s just a single set of adjustments with a LUT that you will release?

Just clarifying. Great work as usual.

Return of the Jedi: Remastered

Lord of the Rings: The Darth Rush Definitives

Author
Time

darthrush said:

Wait, I am a bit confused Dre. Sorry in advance for the dumb question.

I thought that your regraded 4k77 and Blu-Ray (btw I like the green cast as well), would be shot by shot and that is why it would take more than 6 months to complete. But it’s just a single set of adjustments with a LUT that you will release?

Just clarifying. Great work as usual.

No, it’s shot by shot, so there’s no single LUT, but roughly 4,000 LUTs, 2,000 for the 4k77 scan, and 2,000 for the bluray.

Author
Time

towne32 said:

I wasn’t aware that the layer thing was to suggest a color problem with the non-DNR 4k77 that is in circulation. My mistake, if so!

No, there were no accidents with hidden/unhidden layers in the non-DNR 4K77 in circulation - I was just speculating that this could have happened with the DNR sample I had just created. However, if the colors on that DNR sample are the same as the non-DNR version then this is not the case there either.

I’m guessing that the slight pink push that appears on Reel 1 (but is not part of Dre’s LUT) is the result of the PC -> TV levels or sRGB -> rec 709 colorspace conversion, as I didn’t deliberately alter his colors at all.

http://www.thestarwarstrilogy.com

http://www.the007dossier.com

Author
Time

DrDre said:

darthrush said:

Wait, I am a bit confused Dre. Sorry in advance for the dumb question.

I thought that your regraded 4k77 and Blu-Ray (btw I like the green cast as well), would be shot by shot and that is why it would take more than 6 months to complete. But it’s just a single set of adjustments with a LUT that you will release?

Just clarifying. Great work as usual.

No, it’s shot by shot, so there’s no single LUT, but roughly 4,000 LUTs, 2,000 for the 4k77 scan, and 2,000 for the bluray.

Okay, and I’m assuming you’ll just release a high bitrate video of it rather than thousands of LUT’s for people to apply.

Return of the Jedi: Remastered

Lord of the Rings: The Darth Rush Definitives

Author
Time

darthrush said:

DrDre said:

darthrush said:

Wait, I am a bit confused Dre. Sorry in advance for the dumb question.

I thought that your regraded 4k77 and Blu-Ray (btw I like the green cast as well), would be shot by shot and that is why it would take more than 6 months to complete. But it’s just a single set of adjustments with a LUT that you will release?

Just clarifying. Great work as usual.

No, it’s shot by shot, so there’s no single LUT, but roughly 4,000 LUTs, 2,000 for the 4k77 scan, and 2,000 for the bluray.

Okay, and I’m assuming you’ll just release a high bitrate video of it rather than thousands of LUT’s for people to apply.

Or at least a Premiere or Resolve project with the shots chopped up and LUTs applied. 😃

Author
Time

towne32 said:

darthrush said:

DrDre said:

darthrush said:

Wait, I am a bit confused Dre. Sorry in advance for the dumb question.

I thought that your regraded 4k77 and Blu-Ray (btw I like the green cast as well), would be shot by shot and that is why it would take more than 6 months to complete. But it’s just a single set of adjustments with a LUT that you will release?

Just clarifying. Great work as usual.

No, it’s shot by shot, so there’s no single LUT, but roughly 4,000 LUTs, 2,000 for the 4k77 scan, and 2,000 for the bluray.

Okay, and I’m assuming you’ll just release a high bitrate video of it rather than thousands of LUT’s for people to apply.

Or at least a Premiere or Resolve project with the shots chopped up and LUTs applied. 😃

Now your talking 😉

Return of the Jedi: Remastered

Lord of the Rings: The Darth Rush Definitives

Author
Time

Dre, I’d be interested in seeing this shot at full res, in 4K77 and BluRay versions. I’d like to check something. 😃

Imgur

Author
Time

UnitéD2 said:

Dre, I’d be interested in seeing this shot at full res, in 4K77 and BluRay versions. I’d like to check something. 😃

Imgur

4k77 (1080p):

Bluray:

Author
Time

Thanks Dre !

The thing I wanted to check is the possibility of recovering some shades which had disappeared in the Lowry master but are in other sources, like that print. There, I decomposed the Print version and the Blu Ray version in Y,Cb,Cr and recomposed it, using the Blu Ray Y channel and the Print color channels.

http://www.framecompare.com/image-compare/screenshotcomparison/FJCJNNNU

Let’s look at the walls. The colors are not exactly the same for every elements : some are mint coloured, some are more creamy, some are really neutral (I remember a nice photograph of the set had been posted here a few years ago). But in the Blu Ray, these very subtle differences are no longer visible.

I wonder if that kind of tool could be a good way to give some Blu Ray shots the best regrade possible in order to match the original. If I’m not mistaken, Neverargreat has actually done something like this for the most alterated shots like the Sunset (using the SSE ?).

I know there are some problems in my example (like a remaining - maybe increased - channel misalignment, or the helmet of the soldier which appears to be blown out in the Blu Ray) and I wonder if this process wouldn’t be longer than a sharpening of the print version (for a project like Despecialized for example). Of course, the change is very light and definitly not necessary to make the Blu Ray match the original film, as Dr Dre’s regrade yet does.

But I found interesting to share it wih you. 😃

The fourth frame is the version with the “green cast” removed.