Sign In

4k77 - shot by shot color grading (a WIP) — Page 7

Author
Time

Looks great, Dre! Would this be the Technicolor grade or?

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Nate D said:

Looks great, Dre! Would this be the Technicolor grade or?

No, this is the base color grading. Don’t let the bluish green walls fool you. 😉 They are supposed to look this way. The net effect of the greenish walls and the slightly yellowish light also introduces some slight color casts on Vader, who consequently doesn’t appear perfectly black.

Author
Time

Thanks for the info. Haha, I had a gut feeling that was the base. I remember you shared that set pic earlier with the stormtroopers and the rather bluish/green Tantive IV walls. Just curious, do you have any other set photos that can provide confirmation or is this the only one that is known to illustrate the bluish/green walls?

Author
Time

Is this the way it would have looked in the theater or…? I’m sure if you were standing on set in person the walls would have looked a true white. What do you think?

Author
Time
 (Edited)

isn’t it overall too bright? and aren’t some specific shots a bit too bright? for example, from the second to the third shots in the bottom row there’s a big difference, and the third shot looks a bit too bright, imo. you may even be losing some detail. or is it supposed to be that way?

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Collipso said:

isn’t it overall too bright? and aren’t some specific shots a bit too bright? for example, from the second to the third shots in the bottom row there’s a big difference, and the third shot looks a bit too bright, imo. you may even be losing some detail. or is it supposed to be that way?

If it were darkened I have a feeling the blacks and shadow details in Vader’s costume might be crushed/clipped. Plus, the set IS all white so light reflection would be considerable making it seem too bright. Also, we have grown accustomed to the dark blu-ray color grade.

I’m interested to hear what Dre thinks, but what if the 1st and 2nd shot on the 4th row were slightly lightened and the last shot was slightly darkened in order to arrive at a happy medium? Again, hard to say for sure if it even needs adjusting since I’m not seeing Dre’s color grade in live-action.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Nate D said:

Is this the way it would have looked in the theater or…? I’m sure if you were standing on set in person the walls would have looked a true white. What do you think?

The walls weren’t white, so how are they supposed to look a true white on set?

Author
Time

Collipso said:

isn’t it overall too bright? and aren’t some specific shots a bit too bright? for example, from the second to the third shots in the bottom row there’s a big difference, and the third shot looks a bit too bright, imo. you may even be losing some detail. or is it supposed to be that way?

Relative brightness between shots is taken from the print, so I’m not going to alter that. If a shot was brighter on the print, than that’s just what people saw in 1977. 😃

Author
Time

DrDre said:

The walls weren’t white, so how are they supposed to look a true white on set?

Dre, we all know stormtrooper armor is pure white. In the YouTube link, one can see the walls are not perfectly white and neither are the stormtroopers—they look the same. It seems to follow then that if one were standing in person on set that both the stormtroopers and the walls would have been a truer white than what is portrayed in the YouTube video and stormtrooper production photo. That being said, I would say your color grading is not as extreme as these examples (which is a good thing). 😃

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Nate D said:

DrDre said:

The walls weren’t white, so how are they supposed to look a true white on set?

Dre, we all know stormtrooper armor is pure white. In the YouTube link, one can see the walls are not perfectly white and neither are the stormtroopers—they look the same. It seems to follow then that if one were standing in person on set that both the stormtroopers and the walls would have been a truer white than what is portrayed in the YouTube video and stormtrooper production photo. That being said, I would say your color grading is not as extreme as these examples (which is a good thing). 😃

Here’s the thing with white though, it reflects other colors. Stormtroopers are only white in white light, and if the light reflected back at them from walls and such is white. If I put a stormtrooper in a room with green walls, the stormtrooper will be green(ish). In the case of Tantive IV, the walls are slightly bluish green, there’s red light coming from the walls, and the lighting is yellowish, so the stormtroopers won’t be white very often. They will be more yellowish, if they are directly under a light, they will be more pink if they are standing near one of the wall lights, and they will be more bluish green everywhere else.

Author
Time

DrDre said:

Here’s the thing with white though, it reflects other colors. Stormtroopers are only white in white light, and if the light reflected back at them from walls and such is white. If I put a stormtrooper in a room with green walls, the stormtrooper will be green(ish). In the case of Tantive IV, the walls are slightly bluish green, there’s red light coming from the walls, and the lighting is yellowish, so the stormtroopers won’t be white ever. They will be more yellowish, if they are directly under a light, they will be more pink if they are standing near one of the wall lights, and they will be more bluish green everywhere else.

While I dislike the result those variables cause, I understand what you’re saying. 😃

Author
Time

Collipso said:

isn’t it overall too bright? and aren’t some specific shots a bit too bright? for example, from the second to the third shots in the bottom row there’s a big difference, and the third shot looks a bit too bright, imo. you may even be losing some detail. or is it supposed to be that way?

Interesting, I kind of felt this way myself with a few shots. But I think it makes sense from what Dre said about maintaining accuracy in regards to the print.

Return of the Jedi: Remastered

Lord of the Rings: The Darth Rush Definitives

Author
Time
 (Edited)

" Color and Light

We tend to think of objects as having fixed colors—an apple, for example, is red. In reality, an object’s appearance results from the way it reflects the particular light that is falling on it. Under white light, the apple appears red because it tends to reflect light in the red portion of the spectrum and absorb light of other wavelengths. If a filter is used to remove red from the light source, the apple reflects very little light and appears black. The fact that the color makeup of light can change, means that shifts can occur in the color appearance of objects illuminated by it. Within limits, the brain compensates for these changes in color appearance and we see things as we expect them to appear. But the changes are there nonetheless and can affect the way people respond to objects and environments. "

Growing up with the films, we so easily associate how scenes look based on their brief appearance. We all understand that the Tantive is white, and the death star is gray, and space is black…but when you start to stare at frames for hours weeks and years the subtleties become glaring. In my understanding, Dr.Dre is and has been among the top frame-starers in existence. He welcomes the subtleties as an old friend and constant nuisance. (sips tea)

It doesn’t hurt to offer help, but it always hurts to disregard those that do.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Things maybe a bit quiet over here, but I’m honing my skills in the mean time. Here are some color reference shots that are in progress:

Author
Time
 (Edited)

DrDre said:

Things maybe a bit quiet over here, but I’m honing my skills in the mean time. Here are some color reference shots that are in progress:

So when’s it going to be ready, Dre? 😃

People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an exercise of power are barbarians, and if the laws of the United States continue to condone this behavior, history will surely classify us as a barbaric society.

Author
Time

Hi Dre, glad to see a new post here! So, these are shots you’re using to create your own color graded shots, or…? Just curious.

Author
Time

jerclayv2 said:

So when’s it going to be ready, Dre? 😃

jerclayv2, it looks like Dre is either working on reel 2 or 3 here so, he’s got quite a bit of work left ahead of him. I’m thinking this may not be ready for release for a good long while yet.

Author
Time

Nate D said:

Hi Dre, glad to see a new post here! So, these are shots you’re using to create your own color graded shots, or…? Just curious.

These will be the references for 4k77.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

I’ve finished references for 20 shots of the “Meeting Ben” sequence that will be used for both the shot by shot regrade of 4k77 and the bluray:

Author
Time

Looks great Dré!

What’s the internal temperature of a TaunTaun? Luke warm.

Author
Time

Is R2’s blue that strong in these shots ?

Author
Time
 (Edited)

UnitéD2 said:

Is R2’s blue that strong in these shots ?

I might reduce the blue saturation in these shots somewhat, since it is pretty strong, but standing directly in the sun light, R2 is pretty blue. These are also the balanced shots. Adding the warmth and greenish hue of technicolor will reduce the blue in favour of reds, yellows, and greens.

Here’s an update with less blue:

Author
Time
 (Edited)

I like it !

EDIT : Actually, I prefer the first grading - with its appealing blue - for the shots where the sky is visible and the binoculars shot. And for shots 6, 9 and 12 - where Artoo is so blue in the first grading - perhaps a medium between the two versions would be great !