My understanding is that it’s an upscale of the SSE crawl. Willarob gave me some pointers on restoring the 81 crawl when he gave me the raw scan of it, here’s a copy/paste (hopefully I’m not out of line sharing this here, if so I’ll delete it):
A good way to restore the stars (at least during the crawl):
- Add the movie to your composition in After Effects
- Use the Lumetri Scopes or Levels/histogram to adjust the contrast so that the black of space is almost black and the white of the flashes during the flyover is almost white.
- Duplicate the layer and then hide the bottom layer for now.
- On the top layer, use the Keylight Effect to key out the yellow of the crawl and uncheck “Premultiply Result”. The yellow text should vanish completely.
- Also on the top layer, use the Threshold Effect and move the slider to the left until the stars reach your desired brightness.
- Unhide the bottom layer - you should have nice bright stars and be able to see the crawl again.
This works for the pan down too, but once the planets come into view you would have to start masking/rotoscoping out the planets, ships and laser bolts as they will all be an ugly blown out white color if you don’t…
I assume this is the method used for the crawl in 4K77 as well, but I’m not sure. I haven’t had a chance to work with the 81 crawl yet, so I dunno how this works in practice.