Sign In

4K restoration on Star Wars — Page 292

Author
Time
 (Edited)

JawsTDS said:

This is setting a horrible precedent for streaming, but I’m also happy the 15SE is being rightfully erased.

The precedent was already set when Netflix wiped the original version of the season 1 finale of 13 Reasons Why from existence 2 years after the fact.

a trolling bantha

Author
Time

ChainsawAsh said:

JawsTDS said:

This is setting a horrible precedent for streaming, but I’m also happy the 15SE is being rightfully erased.

The precedent was already set when Netflix wiped the original version of the season 1 finale of 13 Reasons Why from existence 2 years after the fact.

But was anything of value really lost? 😉

Author
Time

crissrudd4554 said:

Wazzles said:

It looks like the disappearing Y Wings are back.

What about the disappearing TIE Fighters in ROTJ???

Or the stunt person’s arm in the Wampa’s suit in ESB??

Or the side of the screen cut off during the TIE Fighter battle in ANH??

I’ve only watched Star Wars, but it looks like the cut off portion of the screen is fixed.

Author
Time

ChainsawAsh said:

JawsTDS said:

This is setting a horrible precedent for streaming, but I’m also happy the 15SE is being rightfully erased.

The precedent was already set when Netflix wiped the original version of the season 1 finale of 13 Reasons Why from existence 2 years after the fact.

I didn’t hear about this, what was changed?

Author
Time

The suicide scene is now significantly censored compared to the original.

Here’s the movie-censorship report - note that it has screenshots of both versions, and the original version is quite graphic.

Netflix’s statement:

We’ve heard from many young people that ’13 Reasons Why’ encouraged them to start conversations about difficult issues like depression and suicide and get help—often for the first time. As we prepare to launch season three later this summer, we’ve been mindful about the ongoing debate around the show. So on the advice of medical experts, including Dr. Christine Moutier, Chief Medical Officer at the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention, we’ve decided with creator Brian Yorkey and the producers to edit the scene in which Hannah takes her own life from season one.

a trolling bantha

Author
Time

Considering how unhappy I’ve always been with the 2003 transfer (and subsequent cleanup), I am loving these. I am positive they are new transfers. ANH now matches color tones with TESB, ROTJ, and TPM instead of being overtly red (aka lobstermen). What leads me to conclude that it must be a new transfer instead of a recoloring is that some of the things are very hard to recolor. This would be easier going back to the negative and rescanning it using better, more modern equipment. They did match the crop of the previous transfer, but the magenta is gone. And this was due to the yellow color being lost more than too much magenta. All the 2003 bright magenta blaster flashes are now peachy like the GOUT and 35 mm versions. The yellow flowers outside the Lars dining room are back (not possible to restore this without rescanning the negative or another copy of the film as they were white - no yellow left). I would not expect to see this good a job unless they redid it. Too many instances of missing colors in the 2003 version. Plus it seems to be a color grade more consistent with the 35mm scans we have been done around here. All four movies do lean too much to the red. The darkness I thought I saw was actually just how the app shows in on my Android phone. When I stream it to my TV it looks really good. Some inconsistencies, but really good compared to what it did look like.

AOTC and ROTS appear to be untouched. I don’t have any 4k equipment to examine how they look in 4k, but the colors appear to be identical so most likely these are just upscaled from the digital masters. But the differences in the other films, even TFA, look to be from a completely different souce from what we had on Blu-ray. The corrections to ANH are incredible and TESB is far less blue in the snow scenes that we have had. I think they missed some of the recoloring Lucas did for the 2003 edition and I don’t want to point it out to them because it looks so much better.

Has anyone purchased the new discs? Is it this version or the previous version? I might have to buy ANH myself to check if no one else does.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Current discs are NOT this version, they’re repackagings of the 2011 discs. This version is NOT available on physical media yet.

And yeah, the OT is clearly new scans, I didn’t think that was even a question anymore (especially given the comparisons that have been posted that quite clearly show 2004/2011 changes re-done from scratch).

I’m still not convinced TPM is a new scan. I think it’s the same 2011 BR master, but given a new HDR color grade.

a trolling bantha

Author
Time

Is Jedi out of focus still?

Preferred Saga:
Ep. 1: Hal9000 | Ep. 2: Seciors
Ep. 3: L8wrtr. | Ep. 4: AdywanRVSTD
EP. 5: AdyRVSTD| Ep. 6: Q2
Ep. 7: Hal9000 | Ep. 7: TBD

Author
Time

DrDre said:

CHEWBAKAspelledwrong said:

Swazzy said:

“Damn near monochrome” I believe is exactly what Verta said about the Reliance media restoration.

https://vimeo.com/122877129

Here’s that shot for the new master:

Apparently we’re looking at different vids. When I click the link, I get the shot of stormtroopers running down a hall. Video’s called “Reality Check”.

TV’s Frink said:

I would put this in my sig if I weren’t so lazy.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

ChainsawAsh said:

The suicide scene is now significantly censored compared to the original.

Here’s the movie-censorship report - note that it has screenshots of both versions, and the original version is quite graphic.

Netflix’s statement:

We’ve heard from many young people that ’13 Reasons Why’ encouraged them to start conversations about difficult issues like depression and suicide and get help—often for the first time. As we prepare to launch season three later this summer, we’ve been mindful about the ongoing debate around the show. So on the advice of medical experts, including Dr. Christine Moutier, Chief Medical Officer at the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention, we’ve decided with creator Brian Yorkey and the producers to edit the scene in which Hannah takes her own life from season one.

Ah yes, they should have consulted the suicide prevention people before allowing that scene in the show. That should kind of be the industry standard, don’t you think?

This does set up a poor precedent, but ultimately, I think we can let this one slide as long as the uncensored version is out there and people know that the alteration happened. I can see the point of the original’s graphicness, but I’m not sure it’s that great a deterrent for youth suicides.

JEDIT: While I do like the color grading on the 19SE, but I’d like to see how it’d look with a LUT to bring it more in line with our LPP references and other reference material.

My rancor question seems to have had a satisfactory answer since it does look like a recomposite (no matte lines that were there in '97). Thanks, Tobar!

Author
Time

Has anyone checked against the stills pulled from the Reliance reel that started this thread so many years ago? I know the obvious assumption is that it’s their work, but it might be worth confirming.

Author
Time

BedeHistory731 said:

ChainsawAsh said:

The suicide scene is now significantly censored compared to the original.

Here’s the movie-censorship report - note that it has screenshots of both versions, and the original version is quite graphic.

Netflix’s statement:

We’ve heard from many young people that ’13 Reasons Why’ encouraged them to start conversations about difficult issues like depression and suicide and get help—often for the first time. As we prepare to launch season three later this summer, we’ve been mindful about the ongoing debate around the show. So on the advice of medical experts, including Dr. Christine Moutier, Chief Medical Officer at the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention, we’ve decided with creator Brian Yorkey and the producers to edit the scene in which Hannah takes her own life from season one.

Ah yes, they should have consulted the suicide prevention people before allowing that scene in the show. That should kind of be the industry standard, don’t you think?

This does set up a poor precedent, but ultimately, I think we can let this one slide as long as the uncensored version is out there and people know that the alteration happened. I can see the point of the original’s graphicness, but I’m not sure it’s that great a deterrent for youth suicides.

Yeah, I wasn’t trying to pass judgment on which version is more responsible, just to say that the precedent for a streaming service “patching an update” to their content and no longer making the original version available has already been set.

a trolling bantha

Author
Time

ChainsawAsh said:

Current discs are NOT this version, they’re repackagings of the 2011 discs. This version is NOT available on physical media yet.

And yeah, the OT is clearly new scans, I didn’t think that was even a question anymore (especially given the comparisons that have been posted that quite clearly show 2004/2011 changes re-done from scratch).

I’m still not convinced TPM is a new scan. I think it’s the same 2011 BR master, but given a new HDR color grade.

TPM might be from the same scan, but I don’t think it looked quite as heavily DNR’ed. That was the biggest problem with the Blu Ray to begin with. I haven’t had a chance to do a scientific analysis yet. 😉

If I had some gum, I’d chew a hole into the sun…

Author
Time

Having just watched the Mandalorean, which was graded by the same colorist as the OT, I can see what they are going for. It’s revisionist, but in a less radical way.The Mandalorean is awesome by the way.

Author
Time

DominicCobb said:

Has anyone checked against the stills pulled from the Reliance reel that started this thread so many years ago? I know the obvious assumption is that it’s their work, but it might be worth confirming.

I believe Pablo confirmed this on twitter? There was only one 4K restoration being done when Lucas still owned Lucasfilm and it was by Reliance. The fact he was able to pinpoint it as “The 4K one” solely by hearing about MacLunkey basically eliminates any other option.

Author
Time

Broom Kid said:

DominicCobb said:

Has anyone checked against the stills pulled from the Reliance reel that started this thread so many years ago? I know the obvious assumption is that it’s their work, but it might be worth confirming.

I believe Pablo confirmed this on twitter? There was only one 4K restoration being done when Lucas still owned Lucasfilm and it was by Reliance. The fact he was able to pinpoint it as “The 4K one” solely by hearing about MacLunkey basically eliminates any other option.

Yeah, I know, it all lines up. I just mean, if we’re doing still comparisons, might as well do the final confirmation.

Author
Time

DominicCobb said:

Has anyone checked against the stills pulled from the Reliance reel that started this thread so many years ago? I know the obvious assumption is that it’s their work, but it might be worth confirming.

It’s no use comparing it to the Reliance reel, since that reel had not been color graded. The colors that are seen on the reel are an internal color correction by Reliance.

Author
Time

Though it might be worth comparing the framing of the Reliance demo reel. Because apparently the D+ streams are 2.39:1 vs. the normal 2.35:1 they have been on prior releases. I hope that this is only a quirk of the streaming version.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Has anyone been able to compare THE FORCE AWAKENS on D+ to the Blu-ray? I’m curious if the new HDR grade has finally eliminated the oversaturated red channel. The SDR grade looks virtually identical, with Han Solo looking like a lobster throughout most of the film.

“That said, there is nothing wrong with mocking prequel lovers and belittling their bad taste.” - Alderaan, 2017

MGGA (Make GOUT Great Again):
http://originaltrilogy.com/topic/Return-of-the-GOUT-Preservation-and-Restoration/id/55707