Sign In

4K restoration on Star Wars — Page 16

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Beatleboy99 said:

Visitant said:

I mean, I'm no businessman, but it just seems like the obvious thing to do. They could make a gazillion dollars, gain the goodwill of fans, and pump up the hype for Episode VII in one fell swoop.

By the way, Star Wars no longer seems to appear under 'Projects' on the RMW website. ...Of course, it's still on the reels.

 Wow...you're right. That's pretty suspicious.

My e-mail might have had some impact or, more likely, that news article.

A picture is worth a thousand words. Post 102 is worth more.

I’m late to the party, but I think this is the best song. Enjoy!

—Teams Jetrell Fo 1, Jetrell Fo 2, and Jetrell Fo 3

Author
Time

http://rmwimages.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/rmw-article-p3-update-june1.pdf

A link to an article discussing RMW's projects and tools. From the article:

"After RMW bought Lowry Digital, the company has completely restored over 50 commercially released classic films and DVDs over the past decade, including Casablanca, Citizen Kane, Singing in the Rain, the James Bond library, the Star Wars trilogy and numerous Disney films."

More evidence to consider.

What a grand and intoxicating innocence. How could you be so naive? There is no escape. Come, lay down your weapons. It is not too late for my mercy.
Episode 9 Rewrite THE SHATTERED SWORD (Complete!)
The Force Awakens Restructured (V3 Released!) and The Starlight Project (WORKPRINT RELEASED!)

Author
Time

AntcuFaalb said:

Beatleboy99 said:

Visitant said:

I mean, I'm no businessman, but it just seems like the obvious thing to do. They could make a gazillion dollars, gain the goodwill of fans, and pump up the hype for Episode VII in one fell swoop.

By the way, Star Wars no longer seems to appear under 'Projects' on the RMW website. ...Of course, it's still on the reels.

 Wow...you're right. That's pretty suspicious.

My e-mail might have had some impact or, more likely, that news article.

 Speaking of which, I'm assuming you didn't get any replies to your e-mails?

Author
Time
 (Edited)

NeverarGreat said:

http://rmwimages.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/rmw-article-p3-update-june1.pdf

A link to an article discussing RMW's projects and tools. From the article:

"After RMW bought Lowry Digital, the company has completely restored over 50 commercially released classic films and DVDs over the past decade, including Casablanca, Citizen Kane, Singing in the Rain, the James Bond library, the Star Wars trilogy and numerous Disney films."

More evidence to consider.

 Well, they did restore the Star Wars trilogy for dvd and blu ray

Author
Time

I think it best someone saves those videos before they're taken down as well.

originaltrilogy.com Moderator

Stepping softly in a danger zone…

Author
Time

Tobar said:

I think it best someone saves those videos before they're taken down as well.

 Good idea. Done.

Author
Time

Beatleboy99 said:

NeverarGreat said:

http://rmwimages.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/rmw-article-p3-update-june1.pdf

A link to an article discussing RMW's projects and tools. From the article:

"After RMW bought Lowry Digital, the company has completely restored over 50 commercially released classic films and DVDs over the past decade, including Casablanca, Citizen Kane, Singing in the Rain, the James Bond library, the Star Wars trilogy and numerous Disney films."

More evidence to consider.

 Well, they did restore the Star Wars trilogy for dvd and blu ray

But it wasn't RMW that did the restoration for those releases as far as we know.

Here's another comparison using a higher quality promotional image I found next to the Blu-ray:

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/84310

They look quite similar, and the final result doesn't display the same warping that the other video examples show. That lends credence to the idea that it is simply the old Lowry work. But the warping on C-3PO (perhaps caused by different temporal smoothing) is quite different than the Blu-ray, and that combined with the damage differences shown earlier make it clear that this is something other than the old work. The lack of overall warping in this comparison is odd though. Perhaps they simply used the old Lowry scan for this work, and applied a new cleanup algorithm on top of it. But why not just re-scan the O-neg in 4K to do this new work?

I'd guess that either the original film didn't warp or significantly change in the 6-7 years since the last scan, or it degraded so severely that it was unusable and they needed to revert to an older scan.

What a grand and intoxicating innocence. How could you be so naive? There is no escape. Come, lay down your weapons. It is not too late for my mercy.
Episode 9 Rewrite THE SHATTERED SWORD (Complete!)
The Force Awakens Restructured (V3 Released!) and The Starlight Project (WORKPRINT RELEASED!)

Author
Time

Not sure if this is relevant or not, but the escape pod hatch is blue in the RMW image

Author
Time

^^the escape pod hatch was already mentioned iirc.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/true-original-star-wars-trilogy-blu-rays-coming-in-2014-or-2015-from-disney.324294/

Funny bit (from user Vidiot, page 6):

Even in the 1980s, Disney made an effort to at least screen a studio print of old movies they were remastering for home video. [...] We also did that at ILM for the transfers of Star Wars and Jedi that I worked on [2004], where they had prints up in the Stag Theater across the hall to use for comparison. At any moment, we could stop and say, "whoa, is that supposed to be green?" and then check the print.

More recently, many studios have even more precise methods for simultaneously projecting prints and A/B-ing them against digital copies to make sure they're much, much closer in terms of color, brightness, and contrast. [...] There are rare cases where studio execs or creative people (directors, etc.) get hold of the new transfer and push it in a different direction for specific reasons. But I don't believe Disney does this -- they really do try to preserve the intent of the original theatrical release.

Author
Time

Something I think a lot of people are overlooking is that by the time we get to Christmas 2014 there is probably going to be an absolute blitz of Star Wars stuff. Remember back in the 90's before Phantom Menace when all that Star Wars crap was in stores? I think something similar is going to happen before Episode VII and I bet there'll be a re-release of the OT as well (just like in '97) except this time, instead of the gimmick being, "a few new surprises" the gimmick will be, "see it as it was seen back in 1977," or something. Maybe i'm just getting my hopes up to high, but remember, we aren't dealing with George Lucas here, Disney is run by sane businessmen who aren't out to prove some point about their "original visions," so I really think there's a chance

Author
Time

^^that sounds an aweful lot like the original cuts, but recomposited effects etc.

Tbh...I'm not even entirely mad or anything. I'd like to see the original effects, but at least I'll be able to watch these cuts without facepalming every 5 seconds.

Author
Time

I honestly don't see where all this concern is coming from about how Disney might try and pass off an only partially de-specialized version on us.

They'd be called out immedialy and they know it.

Author
Time

Fang Zei said:

I honestly don't see where all this concern is coming from about how Disney might try and pass off an only partially de-specialized version on us.

They'd be called out immedialy and they know it.

 I agree, they'll either go all in or not do it at all

Author
Time

If Disney is going to do this right, they need to enlist people like Harmy, Adywan... basically the regulars of OT.com. You know, the people who live and breathe Star Wars. There is no other way we could be satisfied, especially after watching the Despecialized Editions.

“After a time, you may find that having, is not so pleasing a thing after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true.” - Spock

Author
Time
 (Edited)

After all these years of 04 and 11, anything that's not upscaled 04 scan would make me happy.

If Plagueis shows up in the ST, not only will I refuse to watch the movies, but I won't so much as watch the trailers, either. - DuracellEnergizer

Author
Time

http://savestarwars.com/lucas-nfr.html

has anyone seen this before? It mentions in the article something about how Lucas had a contract with Fox that included a stipulation that original prints of the unaltered versions were to be destroyed. Is this article real, or is it exaggerating or joking? I honestly am never sure what to believe anymore when it comes to George Lucas, but if Disney now owns Lucasfilm then Fox and Disney wouldn't do any of that anymore right? Also, this piece written on savestarwars.com talked about how Lucas refused to send the Library of Congress any prints but the SE's for SW and ESB, but now that Disney owns Lucasfilm would they have sent in prints for preservation at the Library of Congress, or does it still belong to Lucasfilm? I'd imagine Disney would send the original unaltered films in for preservation at the LOC because they aren't insane people who hate film as an art form, but I don't know. It's all very confusing

Author
Time
 (Edited)

gizzy2000 said:

http://savestarwars.com/lucas-nfr.html

has anyone seen this before? It mentions in the article something about how Lucas had a contract with Fox that included a stipulation that original prints of the unaltered versions were to be destroyed. Is this article real, or is it exaggerating or joking?

I doubt very much that that article's meant to be a joke. The creator of savestarwars.com was a regular poster on this forum and even published a book on the development of the Star Wars series. 

Divergent Universes
Dreams of a Randy Git-Fiend

Make Off Topic great again.

Author
Time

gizzy2000 said:

http://savestarwars.com/lucas-nfr.html

has anyone seen this before? It mentions in the article something about how Lucas had a contract with Fox that included a stipulation that original prints of the unaltered versions were to be destroyed. Is this article real, or is it exaggerating or joking? I honestly am never sure what to believe anymore when it comes to George Lucas, but if Disney now owns Lucasfilm then Fox and Disney wouldn't do any of that anymore right? Also, this piece written on savestarwars.com talked about how Lucas refused to send the Library of Congress any prints but the SE's for SW and ESB, but now that Disney owns Lucasfilm would they have sent in prints for preservation at the Library of Congress, or does it still belong to Lucasfilm? I'd imagine Disney would send the original unaltered films in for preservation at the LOC because they aren't insane people who hate film as an art form, but I don't know. It's all very confusing

I'm pretty sure everyone here is familiar with that site.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

DuracellEnergizer said: The creator of savestarwars.com was a regular poster on this forum

What happened to him?

If Plagueis shows up in the ST, not only will I refuse to watch the movies, but I won't so much as watch the trailers, either. - DuracellEnergizer

Author
Time

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Lucasfilm restore the entire original film before doing the special edition CGI inserts? So they might have scanned the bits and pieces of the recomposited original effects stored somewhere, splice them into a video timeline and use that for an oot release? 

Not ideal, but it's better than nothing. 

On another note, can't wait for the Ep 2-3 4k 16 bit scans! Oh wait...

What’s the internal temperature of a TaunTaun? Luke warm.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

They had to restore/assemble a good print of the original before scanning it and then making it betterer with computors. So most of the OOT was restored for the SEs, if not the entire thing.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Do we know for sure whether they rescanned in 04 or used the scans from 97?

If Plagueis shows up in the ST, not only will I refuse to watch the movies, but I won't so much as watch the trailers, either. - DuracellEnergizer

Author
Time
 (Edited)

I'm pretty sure there were no scans in '97 (except for the shots, which were to be altered). For the most part, it was a good old-fashioned analog restoration.

  • www.facebook.com/despecialized
  • IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS ABOUT THE DESPECIALIZED EDITIONS, PLEASE READ THE FIRST POSTS OF THESE THREADS, WHICH HAVE UP-TO-DATE INFORMATION: SW, ESB, ROTJ, 97SE RE-ED
    IF YOU DON’T FIND WHAT YOU’RE LOOKING FOR THERE, TRY ASKING IN THE APPROPRIATE THREADS - MOST REGULAR POSTERS KNOW ALL THE ANSWERS AND SOMEONE WILL LIKELY BE ABLE TO HELP YOU.
    IF I GET A PM WITH A QUESTION, WHICH COULD HAVE BEEN ANSWERED THROUGH THESE MEANS, IT WILL BE IGNORED. SORRY BUT I AM NOT THE LOCAL INFO BOOTH. THANK YOU.
Author
Time

darklordoftech said:

What happened to him?
Hiding behind the Team-1 account is my guess.


Anybody follow that thread ?
We might get a DOUT someday, but they sure as hell won't do it right.

However, in practice you must take into account the “fuckwit factor”. Just talk to Darth Mallwalker…
-Moth3r