logo Sign In

48 fps! — Page 3

Author
Time

Tyrphanax said:

<a href="http://www.thescreeningroom.ca/2012/12/the-hobbit-at-48-fps-induces-migraines-barfing.html">I am unsurprised by this news.</a>

Though I think people may just be pansies. I see stuff in 60fps all the time!

XionEternum from the comments on that article:

Comments in a nutshell:
-Well if it's making people sick, I'm not even going to try it. I'm scared of change!
-We have to adjust like we did for other things like surround sound.
-Idiots! We elitist and self-entitled PC gamers can't stand with anything below 60fps. You're all weak-eyed wusses.
-Well, since I'm a humble PC gamer I can handle up to even 120fps without concern, and I rather like the clarity. I think I'll come back to the theater and try out their new 48fps.
Yeah, I've got nothing to add to this. I'm sure most would appreciate #2 and #4 in those comments more though. The rest we can do without.

http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/7405/cooly.gif

http://twister111.tumblr.com
Previous Signature preservation link

Author
Time

People got nauseous from The Blair Witch Project. (Irregardless of how they felt about the movie.) I pretty sure that was shown at 24fps?

Forum Moderator

Where were you in '77?

Author
Time

Well to be fair, they are wusses.

But then, not everyone can be of the Glorious PC Gaming Master Race.

Keep Circulating the Tapes.

END OF LINE

(It hasn’t happened yet)

Author
Time

A three-hour big-event film in 3D and new 48FPS format sounds like a grueling way to spend the first three hours after midnight. I might stand in line for the conventional format, then let the gimmicky version make my eventual second viewing more novel. 

My stance on revising fan edits.

Author
Time

Welp tonight's the night. Well.....kind of. I'll be seeing the Hobbit in IMAX 3D but not in 48HFR. So anyone that's going to see it in 48 tonight please report in. I'll probably see it in 48 next week. As long as it doesn't end up looking like this I think I'll be fine.

Forum Moderator
Author
Time

^Same here!

Comments from anyone who's seeing it in 48 would be appreciated.

Author
Time

Think I'm going to wait until next week to avoid the crowds.

Forum Moderator

Where were you in '77?

Author
Time

Seeing it in 48 on Sunday.

Author
Time

48fps just a stupid gimmick to prop up another stupid gimmick (3D). Hollywood can't admit to itself that their industry is dead. 

Author
Time

Is 48 fps only 3D?

I'll see it somewhere in the City of New York this weekend, but probably old fashioned 2D 24fps.

The blue elephant in the room.

Author
Time

My friend saw it twice already, HFR 3D first, then 24fps 2D. He says

@gregharbin said:

The film is much superior in HFR 3D than 24fps 2D. Still a good film, but like watching with the color off.

This is the first film I’d use that analogy for. Not even Avatar.

Battle scenes are a mush of blur. It was downright painful at 24fps after seeing what I was missing.

Star Wars Revisited Wordpress

Star Wars Visual Comparisons WordPress

Author
Time

Saw the film in IMAX, 3D and 48FPS.

The first five minutes of 48FPS felt strange, but after a few minutes you adjust. I really liked it. Everything felt incredibly realistic, and with the 3D it sometimes felt like you were there. By far the most immersive theater experience I've had.

I will say that the use of 48FPS will make filmmakers adjust their style. Peter Jackson seems to have a bit. One of the reasons Michael Bay can have his shakycam on steroids thing is because the motion blur basically hides much of the actual motion; if you were to do shots like that at 48FPS you'd throw up. Some shots in the Hobbit where the camera was moving quickly made it look like things were moving too quickly, but these were only a handful. Overall I was impressed. Once you get over that shock it really works; at first it seems like everything is moving fast, like when you fast-forward a movie, but it's really just because you see every movement, every wrinkle of fabric or crumpling of paper when people are doing things, when your brain accepts that after a minute or two there isn't any problem. And it works really well with the 3D--I can't imagine shooting one without the other. I hope more movies do it this well. The 3D alone rivals the best examples I have seen. 48FPS just was the icing on the cake. After a while you don't notice it--reminds me of watching widescreen on 4x3 TVs in the 1990s, you just sort of forget about it after a minute or two--but if the movie were to suddenly shift to 24FPS halfway through you would think it was all blurry and slow.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

I don't like the look of 48fps. :-/ It looks cheap & flat to me, like a sit-com or a soap opera.

There was a company called MaxiVision in the 90's that was pushing 48fps using 35mm film. I actually emailed Roger Ebert about it (he was a proponent, as was Martin Scorcese) and I got a response from him. That was before I really understood what it was; it sounded good on paper at the time. Now that I've seen it, I don't care for it.

Author
Time

It's different than the 30FPS video/sitcom/news style. It is actually much, much smoother. The problem with that 30FPS soap opera rate is that it's smoother than film, yet still far enough away from real life motion that it still looks...odd. We say "cheap" but that's solely because we have only seen it used in low-budget TV/video productions. There's nothing inherantly "cheap" about it, but it's certainly not impressive. The 48FPS rate is far beyond that, as much as 30fps is different than 24fps. I wish they had gone with Doug Trumbull's 128 FPS, which is apparently indistinguishable from real life.

Author
Time

zombie84 said:

It's different than the 30FPS video/sitcom/news style. It is actually much, much smoother. The problem with that 30FPS soap opera rate is that it's smoother than film, yet still far enough away from real life motion that it still looks...odd. We say "cheap" but that's solely because we have only seen it used in low-budget TV/video productions. There's nothing inherantly "cheap" about it, but it's certainly not impressive. The 48FPS rate is far beyond that, as much as 30fps is different than 24fps. I wish they had gone with Doug Trumbull's 128 FPS, which is apparently indistinguishable from real life.

Well 128 is, at least, a nice and healthy power of two!

A picture is worth a thousand words. Post 102 is worth more.

I’m late to the party, but I think this is the best song. Enjoy!

—Teams Jetrell Fo 1, Jetrell Fo 2, and Jetrell Fo 3

Author
Time

I heard the movie really drags and that it's obvious the decision to make it a trilogy came in post. Thoughts?

I'm waiting to go home and see it in 48fps myself.

A Goon in a Gaggle of 'em

Author
Time

I just saw the movie in HFR 3D and I was able to see the 3D effects despite my stereo-blindness.

I thought it (the movie) was wonderful. I've always preferred The Hobbit to the LotR trilogy, so it should come as no surprise that I enjoyed it more than all three of the LotR movies combined.

Truly magical. I felt like a kid again!

I can't wait for the next two.

Author
Time

I don't understand people who thought the movie was long. It was the perfect length. And it was the shortest Jackson-Tolkien film yet! Without the credits it's just a little over two and a half hours. I would say it is the fastest paced and most action packed of the four films so far. None of that Lothlorien crap that brought Fellowship to a screeching halt. There is one Rivendel scene but it's short and awesome--and involves two of the funnest cameos in the entire film (actually three, but one especially is a treat to see). Won't spoil it, but yeah.

Long and boring? Hate to see what those reviews thought of the other three films.

Author
Time

zombie84 said:

I don't understand people who thought the movie was long. It was the perfect length. And it was the shortest Jackson-Tolkien film yet! Without the credits it's just a little over two and a half hours. I would say it is the fastest paced and most action packed of the four films so far. None of that Lothlorien crap that brought Fellowship to a screeching halt. There is one Rivendel scene but it's short and awesome--and involves two of the funnest cameos in the entire film (actually three, but one especially is a treat to see). Won't spoil it, but yeah.

Long and boring? Hate to see what those reviews thought of the other three films.

I agree. It was the perfect length.

Author
Time

All I have been hearing from fans of this type of film is that it is amazing.

Keep Circulating the Tapes.

END OF LINE

(It hasn’t happened yet)

Author
Time

zombie84 said:

We've probably hit the point where some feel the need to bash Jackson and the films he's made, because it's fashionable to do so.

Forum Moderator

Where were you in '77?

Author
Time

AntcuFaalb said:

I was able to see the 3D effects despite my stereo-blindness.

Wait, what?

I assume this means that you felt the immersion of stereo without stereo, I guess thanks to 48fps. Right?

ROTJ Storyboard Reconstruction Project

Author
Time

timdiggerm said:

AntcuFaalb said:

I was able to see the 3D effects despite my stereo-blindness.

Wait, what?

I assume this means that you felt the immersion of stereo without stereo, I guess thanks to 48fps. Right?

Not really, no.

I meant that I could actually see the little 3D effects in "3D"; e.g., birds flying out at my face.

Author
Time

zombie84 said:

None of that Lothlorien crap that brought Fellowship to a screeching halt.

Boo.