logo Sign In

48 fps! — Page 2

Author
Time

Yes, very interesting post zombie. I've never thought of it before, but that does make sense, now that I think about it. 

So, yeah, if I decide that I still prefer 24 fps, I'll own up to it and say that it's because I'm used to it. 

There's really only one argument that I can pose as to why less realistic might be better. If you were to watch a movie, shown at a very high framerate, and in 3D, I would assume that it would almost look like it was right there, like it wasn't actually a picture. While I think it's cool that an effect like that could be achieved, that's not always what I want when I'm watching a film. When I watch a film, I'm watching a story. It's not real. Movies aren't real, they're make believe. So, to me, watching a film at 24 fps kind of keeps that storytelling aspect in check. I'm trying to think of a good analogy, but I can't really at the moment. I hope you understand my meaning anyway.

Author
Time

^^Here's a good analogy: Why do a painting when you can just take the same picture with an HD camera?

I wish that I could just wish my feelings away...but I can't.  Wishful wishing can only lead to wishes wished for in futile wishfulness, which is not what I wish to wish for. 

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Why shoot colour, when you can shoot black and white?

But no one does this. I love black and white, and hoarded a lot of Kodak's 35mm bw stock when they were getting rid of it. Films like The Man Who Wasn't There show that you can shoot good black and white films today.

They just aren't realistic. They are self-consciously stylized. And they aren't popular.

I feel like that is how "flat" films (non 3D) or "blurry" films (24fps) will be seen in the future. Much like we have "silent" films. Isn't that label judgemental? Why call them silent, when we should really be calling all the rest "talkies", since those came second? But that's the way the progression goes.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

DominicCobb said:

Yes, very interesting post zombie. I've never thought of it before, but that does make sense, now that I think about it. 

So, yeah, if I decide that I still prefer 24 fps, I'll own up to it and say that it's because I'm used to it. 

There's really only one argument that I can pose as to why less realistic might be better. If you were to watch a movie, shown at a very high framerate, and in 3D, I would assume that it would almost look like it was right there, like it wasn't actually a picture. While I think it's cool that an effect like that could be achieved, that's not always what I want when I'm watching a film. When I watch a film, I'm watching a story. It's not real. Movies aren't real, they're make believe. So, to me, watching a film at 24 fps kind of keeps that storytelling aspect in check. I'm trying to think of a good analogy, but I can't really at the moment. I hope you understand my meaning anyway.

You would probably object to 14 FPS, silent black and white films being made all the time though. I mean, if it suited the film sure. But what kind of story is suited to that? It's hard to pin down. When you dream, it's in colour, has depth and runs at over-24fps, just like real life. It also has more resolution than 16mm.

This is another thing. Why was 35mm chosen as the standard? You guessed it. Money. If there was no money involved, everyone would be shooting at 65mm. But they aren't, 35mm became the standard for the same reason 24FPS became the standard--it was realistic enough, but also cheap enough. If you wanted to get cheap you could film in 16mm, but until the indie scene this was not an option, and that 16mm indie scene only last 25 years anyway before digital options surpassed it.

We all want a heightened realism in our movies. But the standards we have--whether sound, picture resolution, frame rate, or anything else--film sets aren't realistic, but we accept them as cost solutions--are always a trade off between cost and effect. With CG, we have gotten rid of a lot of the physical set limitations. We can also create sound that isn't there. We added colour to black and white emulsions. And now we are finally achieving that extra depth--three dimensions and real life motion. Movies will still be larger than life and unrealistic, they will just be more believable, more inherantly acceptable. Unless you want to make a statement--like The Artist did.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

1990osu said:

^^Here's a good analogy: Why do a painting when you can just take the same picture with an HD camera?

This is a great point. Photography killed the painting industry. It still survives, but instead of owning the entire visual medium, now it is only one part--an expensive, specialty part. Have you ever bought a painting from an artist? Not a lithograph--that's just a reproduction, and applies equally to film, or illustration or painting. You could buy a $1200 painting--or buy a $200 litho. Almost everyone alive does not own any orginal paintings. If they own anything it is a lithograph--a photograph of a painting. The reason being, once photography came around there was no point. Why spend a month's paycheque when you can get a photo or a litho for a fraction of the price? So it became a speciality collectors thing that almost no one today truely supports.

Author
Time

So I guess what you're trying to say is, whether we like it or not, 24 fps is going away?

Well, that's too bad. Really a shame too. Black and white is a good example. I absolutely love black and white cinematography, and I hate that studios avoid it like the plague.

Author
Time

zombie84 said:

The reason being, once photography came around there was no point.

*sigh* [(TM) warbler]

zombie84 said:

Why spend a month's paycheque when you can get a photo or a litho for a fraction of the price?

Because the painting is objectively better?  Because it has texture and it looks differently depending on the lighting in the room because different light reflects off of the texture in different ways- you don't just get one sterile, perfect experience that is standardized for everyone.  Just like movies on film-every showing is a unique event that requires people in the audience, a skilled projectionist, etc. If there's considered no difference between paintings and photos, why go to an art gallery at all?  If there's considered no difference between viewing film and watching the digital movie on your cell phone, why go to the movies at all?  Isn't this a massive mistake?

I wish that I could just wish my feelings away...but I can't.  Wishful wishing can only lead to wishes wished for in futile wishfulness, which is not what I wish to wish for. 

Author
Time
 (Edited)

It's not going away, forever. It just will no longer be the standard. Eventually.

I love film. I was a cameraman in the International Cinematographer's Guild. I'm also very young--I was always "the kid" on set--and I made a name for myself as a film guy. Not a video guy, but a young guy who knew about film. When I was working it was the turnover between film and digital and I hated video, because it wasn't ready. It is now, so my opinion has changed. But I still love, love film. I have a whole box full of 16mm and 35mm raw stock short-ends that I was saving for my own projects that have now become expired, but I never had the heart to throw them out. And I love black and white. I worked as a lighting cameraman, and I saw thing in light and shadow, not colour, and would light that way. That's why I love a lot of films from the 1920s like Sunrise. That's also why I hoarded a lot of Kodak b&w film when they were phasing it out. I still buy issues of Black and White Photography, but many of the examples aren't on film--and it doesn't matter. That both pains and joys me. Digital photography today is essentially indistinguishable. So what are we mourning? Our emotional attachment. And no one was more attached to that than me. I still have reels of undeveloped black and white 35mm motion picture 400 foot spools that will never be used, because I am old fashioned.

But I also recognize that being old fashioned is not an excuse to get in the way of improving the medium. 35mm photography may remain a niche hobby for the time being, but it's purely an emotional thing, and therefore to me "highly illogical." If there is no distinguishable difference between the digital equivalent, then what are we holding on to? It was kind of a sad day when I realized that--but it was also so overwhelming exciting, that for a fraction of the cost anyone could anywhere do the same thing that was concentrated in the hands of a few elite--that I couldn't help but tell film to fuck right off and not to look back, emotional as it was. It still has its uses--archival, for example, since digital storage is still rocky--but in terms of pure photography? No. Sorry. Film is a dinosaur. And I never, ever thought I'd be saying that in the year 2012. 2020, maybe. But things have progressed so fast that really, it has increasingly little use, unless you have unlimited millions of dollars to throw at it--and even then, maybe not.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

1990osu said:

zombie84 said:

The reason being, once photography came around there was no point.

*sigh* [(TM) warbler]

zombie84 said:

Why spend a month's paycheque when you can get a photo or a litho for a fraction of the price?

Because the painting is objectively better?  Because it has texture and it looks differently depending on the lighting in the room because different light reflects off of the texture in different ways- you don't just get one sterile, perfect experience that is standardized for everyone.  Just like movies on film-every showing is a unique event that requires people in the audience, a skilled projectionist, etc. If there's considered no difference between paintings and photos, why go to an art gallery at all?  If there's considered no difference between viewing film and watching the digital movie on your cell phone, why go to the movies at all?  Isn't this a massive mistake?

Digital cell-phone? Sure. But the difference between a high end digital motion picture camera and a 35mm motion picture camera is practically non-existant. Usually if there is a difference, it's a deliberate one--digital could look the same as film, and often does, but when it doesn't it's because they don't care to replicate that look exactly. High-end digital looks truer to real life in 2012, and while in the past we resisted that because it looked "different" than film, now that we are used to it, it is being used more openly.

It's a false analogy to compare oil paints to photography. Movies are photography, it's the exact same device and quality between your 1980s photos of the family vacation and a Hollywood movie at the time. But no film, anywhere has looked like an oil painting. Even Waking Life. Let's compare apples to apples. It's like saying, does Fincher's Girl with the Dragon Tattoo look like the original swedish version of the film? Because that was shot on 35mm film. There are stylistic decisions. But it would be idiotic to say the Swedish version looks like an oil painting and Fincher's looks like a digital still. Quite the opposite--I would say Fincher's was more painterly and beautiful. These are the types of emotional-based arguments that don't make much sense and only serve to underline the point I am making. Digital looks like film if you want it to, but increasingly people have been making the choice to abandon that option and instead make it look more realistic--and also just as beautiful.

Author
Time

^^No I am not arguing that it won't be truer to life.  What I'm saying is, I think there is value in the imperfections.  I think there is value in the graininess of real film, and the differences in grain from scene to scene and when they change camera angles.  not because it was contrived or added later, but because they were using analog methods. 

I think the mona lisa in 2012 would be truer to life (just take her picture!) but what artistic value would it have? 

There is beauty in craftsmanship.  There is beauty in things that were hand crafted by people with talent and skill.  Did you know that Douglas Slacombe never used a light meter on raiders of the lost ark? Just held up his index finger to the sun. Raiders would not look nearly as good today because those idiosynchratisies would be gone, and to put them in again artificially becomes a contrivance.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Well, I added this bit before you responded:

"It's a false analogy to compare oil paints to photography. Movies are photography, it's the exact same device and quality between your 1980s photos of the family vacation and a Hollywood movie at the time. But no film, anywhere has looked like an oil painting. Even Waking Life. Let's compare apples to apples. It's like saying, does Fincher's Girl with the Dragon Tattoo look like the original swedish version of the film? Because that was shot on 35mm film. There are stylistic decisions. But it would be idiotic to say the Swedish version looks like an oil painting and Fincher's looks like a digital still. Quite the opposite--I would say Fincher's was more painterly and beautiful. These are the types of emotional-based arguments that don't make much sense and only serve to underline the point I am making. Digital looks like film if you want it to, but increasingly people have been making the choice to abandon that option and instead make it look more realistic--and also just as beautiful."

And no. Sorry. Raiders could be shot 90% the same looking with a digital camera today--if they wanted to. But people don't. You could achieve the same effect. It's not the technology--it's a matter of taste. Crystal Skull was shot on 35mm film and look how that looked! That alone proves the matter overstated.

Author
Time

1990osu said:

If there's considered no difference between paintings and photos, why go to an art gallery at all?

It doesn't have to be like that; you go to see paintings at one art gallery for a different reason than you go to a collection of photographic art in a different gallery.

You can take a picture of something and paint a picture of the same thing and they can both be beautiful artistic expressions in their own different ways.

Just because painting no longer holds the monopoly on transmitting visual information to someone doesn't mean it's gone forever; the same goes for black and white photography, and real film, and 2D pixel art video games. It'll happen to digital photography and film and 3D animation one day as well, probably. We'll have holograms and stuff, things we can actually "touch" and manipulate and interact with all in realtime; who knows.

But people will still be making silent, black and white movies on real film, and getting out the oil paints and canvas to paint a pictue, because artistic expression isn't unbreakably bound to technological advancement, our favourite mediums never really go completely away, they just fall out of the mainstream - people have been painting since the dawn of humanity, and they'll continue to do so until the end.

Keep Circulating the Tapes.

END OF LINE

(It hasn’t happened yet)

Author
Time

zombie84 said:

And no. Sorry. Raiders could be shot 90% the same looking with a digital camera today--if they wanted to. But people don't. You could achieve the same effect. It's not the technology--it's a matter of taste. Crystal Skull was shot on 35mm film and look how that looked!

I think you are missing my point...you COULD achieve the effect, but then it becomes "achieving an effect" rather than "using the tools to produce the most artistic result." 

I'm not arguing digital can't be beautiful, just like I wouldn't argue that a watercolor can't be beautiful.  But it's a different medium.  Oil paintings are also good and artists should be able to use the medium for no other reason than because they feel like it. 

And no, I don't believe that you can reproduce all the looks of the past with digital technology.  You can't make digital look like a 1970s columbus episode.  You can try.  Lots of directors have tried to give their stuff a vintage look using the computer.  It doesn't work.  They didn't use the right lights (carbon arcs).  they didn't use the right lenses.  You can't just fix it all in post, that's the George Lucas syndrome.  won't look teh same.

And naturally, this is art.  It's all a question of taste;)

Author
Time

Tyrphanax said:

1990osu said:

If there's considered no difference between paintings and photos, why go to an art gallery at all?

It doesn't have to be like that; you go to see paintings at one art gallery for a different reason than you go to a collection of photographic art in a different gallery.

You can take a picture of something and paint a picture of the same thing and they can both be beautiful artistic expressions in their own different ways.

Just because painting no longer holds the monopoly on transmitting visual information to someone doesn't mean it's gone forever; the same goes for black and white photography, and real film, and 2D pixel art video games. It'll happen to digital photography and film and 3D animation one day as well, probably. We'll have holograms and stuff, things we can actually "touch" and manipulate and interact with all in realtime; who knows.

But people will still be making silent, black and white movies on real film, and getting out the oil paints and canvas to paint a pictue, because artistic expression isn't unbreakably bound to technological advancement, our favourite mediums never really go completely away, they just fall out of the mainstream - people have been painting since the dawn of humanity, and they'll continue to do so until the end.

I don't know.  I just hate to see movies like "The Godfather" and "Star Wars" and "Alien" be thought of as "blurry" and "jittery".  Just like people don't appreciate paintings anymore, people won't appreciate these movies anymore.  Maybe it's inevitable but it doesn't mean i have to like it

Author
Time

You are right. They haven't used the same lights, and lenses.

But if they did, you would be fooled. They don't so, it looks similar--but not the same. This is not a limit of digital optics. This is a practical limit of how far people are going to go to faithful recapture that. And the answer is: not far enough. But if they wanted to, they could.

Also: yes, that sucks that "star wars" might be thought of a "flat" or "blurry". But does it not bother you that Nosferatu and Sunrise are thought of as "silent" and "black and white"? If not, then it should. Otherwise you are calling the kettle black. Change sometimes is a bitch. But hey, fucking Star Wars is now called A New Hope, so we should be well adjusted to that.

Author
Time

1990osu said:

I don't know.  I just hate to see movies like "The Godfather" and "Star Wars" and "Alien" be thought of as "blurry" and "jittery".  Just like people don't appreciate paintings anymore, people won't appreciate these movies anymore.  Maybe it's inevitable but it doesn't mean i have to like it

Perhaps by the mainstream, but people will still appreciate them, just like there are people who appreciate a nice Monet or Da Vinci, and people who appreciate Egyptian art, or ancient cave paintings, just like people still appreciate black and white or silent films today.

It's not all that bad, man. Just keep liking what you like!

Keep Circulating the Tapes.

END OF LINE

(It hasn’t happened yet)

Author
Time

1990osu said:

I read in a book some time ago that 24 fps was decided on as the result of a variety of different tests- it was determined that it produced smooth motion but being slightly under 30 the strobing effect put the audience into an altered state.  After lots of tests done at a variety of different frame rates, it was determined that 24/25 was the best format for narrative stories.

If I recall correctly another reason was the introduction of sound. That's whty the big switch happened between 1928 and 1930. With soundtracks on shellac records you had to sync 78 rpm to 24 fps (and it'd go out of sync because of missing frames), and with sound on film it was a good compromise between speed (cost) and sound quality. Obviously it's like magnetic tape, the faster it is, the more fidelity you can get out of an optical recording.

Author
Time

I'm curious to see what 48 fps looks like, but I worry a bit about eye strain or some kind of discomfort.

“Grow up. These are my Disney's movies, not yours.”

Author
Time

I still don't think that you can imitate, using digital, the effect of a certain type of light exposing a certain type of film.  You can work really hard to imitate it, but I don't think you can truly get there; I think film reacts differently to certain lights than does digital.  And even if you went through 200 steps to get there, are you going to do that for every shot? Are you going to pretend to use a certain speed for one shot, and another speed for another shot?  Again that is like a pastiche of a great film, rather than a great film.

But agree to disagree I guess. 

Author
Time

I won't be seeing any 3D movies anymore so can't give this new fps a try, all 2D versions seem to be regular. Too bad.

And in the time of greatest despair, there shall come a savior, and he shall be known as the Son of the Suns.

Author
Time

LexX said:

I won't be seeing any 3D movies anymore so can't give this new fps a try, all 2D versions seem to be regular. Too bad.

Yay! Welcome to the 2D-only club.

I'm stereo-blind, so 3D movies look terrible for me. Furthermore, they hurt.

A picture is worth a thousand words. Post 102 is worth more.

I’m late to the party, but I think this is the best song. Enjoy!

—Teams Jetrell Fo 1, Jetrell Fo 2, and Jetrell Fo 3

Author
Time

AntcuFaalb said:

LexX said:

I just want the fad go away, LOL.

And in the time of greatest despair, there shall come a savior, and he shall be known as the Son of the Suns.

Author
Time

AntcuFaalb said:

LexX said:

http://www.2d-glasses.com/

Forum Moderator

Where were you in '77?