Sign In

3D Movies Preservation

Author
Time
Anyone interested in preserving the 3-D versions of movies only released on DVD in 2-D? They may not be good, but they're worth preserving, right? Such as

Jaws 3-D
Friday the 13th Part 3: 3D
Amityville 3D

That's all I can think of now. Would there be any merit in pursuing this?

a trolling bantha

Author
Time
Well, ChainsawAsh, I'm actually doing a preservation of Jaws 3-D at the moment. It's going to be a while before I post anything about it on this board as I'm still gathering materials. However, I will release information here probably around christmas, and eventually I'll be getting people from the board to help spread it to the 3D fans, or Jaws completionists who must have Jaws 3D in their collection.

On a related note; I've just recently seen Friday the 13th Part 3 for the first time (in 2D) and would like to see it in 3D.

To contact me outside the forum, for trades and such my email address is my OT.com username @gmail.com

Author
Time
I have Friday the 13th Part 3-D & Jaws 3-D (and a few others) on DVD in Field-sequential 3-D

They require the Field Sequential shutter glasses to view (as opposed to the old red & blue) but they're not too bad at all qualitywise.

PM me if you're interested
"Love is the only pain that doesn't feel good."
Author
Time
This is a great idea! I love 3D movies. I saw a few in the cinema purely to see the 3D. Jaws 3D had good 3D effects also Amityville 3D had some great lets-stick-things-out-of-the-screen stuff. I have Amityville 3D in anaglyph along with Jaws 3D (poor quality) and Friday the 13th Part 3 (also poor quality), both in anaglyph. If anyone does manage to have better quality copies they definitely need preserving. Especially as they will probably never get official releases.
Author
Time
Originally posted by: Devilman-1369
I have Friday the 13th Part 3-D & Jaws 3-D (and a few others) on DVD in Field-sequential 3-D

They require the Field Sequential shutter glasses to view (as opposed to the old red & blue) but they're not too bad at all qualitywise.

PM me if you're interested


excuse my ignorance, but what is field sequential shutter glasses? I remember the old red&blue glasses for 3D movies.
Author
Time
Originally posted by: Devilman-1369
I have Friday the 13th Part 3-D & Jaws 3-D (and a few others) on DVD in Field-sequential 3-D

They require the Field Sequential shutter glasses to view (as opposed to the old red & blue) but they're not too bad at all qualitywise.

PM me if you're interested


Can these be converted to red & blue format in any way?

a trolling bantha

Author
Time
Field Sequential cannot be converted to red & blue, least not as far as I know. But you can easily find red and blue (anaglyph) format DVDs for the aforementioned movies as well a field sequential on eBay from time to time.

To contact me outside the forum, for trades and such my email address is my OT.com username @gmail.com

Author
Time
"but what is field sequential shutter glasses?"

Glasses with electronically controlled lens. Both camera views were shown in sequential order on the screen, and the glasses would only allow the left eye to see one image, and then the right eye would see the second image (One lens is "off" or closed when then other lens is "on" or open.) Theses images are alternated quickly so that the mind takes both images as coming from regular stereoscopic view, and combines them.
MeBeJedi: Sadly, I believe the prequels are beyond repair.
JediRandy: They're certainly beyond any repair you're capable of making.


MeBeJedi: You aren't one of us.
Go-Mer-Tonic: I can't say I find that very disappointing.


JediRandy: I won't suck as much as a fan edit.
Author
Time
Field sequential also will not work with progressive scan, so make sure you turn that off before playing one of these.
Other films from the 1982-83 3-D revival:

Metalstorm: The Destruction of Jared-Syn.
The Man Who Wasn't There (one of many films to answer the question posed by the Stonecutters: Who Makes Steve Guttenberg a Star? Don't mix it up with the Coen Brothers flick of the same name).
Comin' At Ya!

Princess Leia: I happen to like nice men.
Han Solo: I'm a nice man.

Author
Time
" Field sequential also will not work with progressive scan"

Really? I thought it was frame-based, rather than field-based.
MeBeJedi: Sadly, I believe the prequels are beyond repair.
JediRandy: They're certainly beyond any repair you're capable of making.


MeBeJedi: You aren't one of us.
Go-Mer-Tonic: I can't say I find that very disappointing.


JediRandy: I won't suck as much as a fan edit.
Author
Time
I'd kill for some 3d movies

i think you can convert those to red-blue, altho i'm not 100% positive, this guy has some samples and stuff at http://3d.disneyfans.com/

Welcome to my experimentail 3-D home video page. The movies here were tapes on an old Sony Digital8 camcorder using a NuView 3-D adapter. This gadget produces field sequental (also called interlaced) 3-D video which can be viewed on a CRT TV using electronic LCD shutter glasses. This type of video comes out in full color and looking great (but with some flicker).

I then use software on my Mac to convert these full size 3-D movies to red/blue anaglyph video, like the type Medium on NBC was recently shown in (as well as Spy Kids 3-D and Shrek 3-D DVD).


i'm not sure of the quality after a conversion (someone said it wasnt so great as the depth could be wrong) but one of you could try it and see?

wasnt there a 3d 'House of wax' ?
also a bunch of animated festivals also had 3d viewings and no dvd release, like ...
Cyberworld 3d - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0233508/combined

anyways, i look forward to any 3d movie, new or old, in theaters or on dvd.
Author
Time

3D VHD discs are prime to preserve.

Has Friday the 13th Part 3: 3D (field rather than anaglyph) been preserved yet?

ChainsawAsh said:

Anyone interested in preserving...

...
Friday the 13th Part 3: 3D
...

...

Thank you and Cheers!

 

Author
Time

Andy Warhol"S Presentation of Paul Morrissey' s Blood For Dracula Was originally done in 3D. You needed polarized glasses for viewing it. It is a shame that it hasn't been released in 3D Blu Ray.  I would go out and get a new 3D Flatscreen just for that. 

Author
Time

Hi, I looked and could only find references to Flesh for Frankenstein (1973) 3D. Is that what you meant? Either way, Blood For Dracula 3D sounds awesome.

suntech said:

Andy Warhol"S Presentation of Paul Morrissey' s Blood For Dracula Was originally done in 3D. You needed polarized glasses for viewing it. It is a shame that it hasn't been released in 3D Blu Ray.  I would go out and get a new 3D Flatscreen just for that. 

 

Author
Time

skoal said:

3D VHD discs are prime to preserve.

Has Friday the 13th Part 3: 3D (field rather than anaglyph) been preserved yet?

ChainsawAsh said:

Anyone interested in preserving...

...
Friday the 13th Part 3: 3D
...

...

Thank you and Cheers!

 

 I have a very nice quality SBS Version of Friday the 13th part 3.  It utilizes the Blu Ray for One Eye and the DVD for the other.  For all intents and purposes it's HD and looks great.  The 3D effects are absolutely fantastic.  Things just fly out of the screen all the time.  It's effects like these that current 3D has been missing because Hollywood was concerned that it'd be viewed as not artistic enough.  I indirectly offered the files to TeamBlu to see if they wanted to put together a Friday Part 3 project release but never heard anything back.  I'd love to get Jaws 3D as well either officially or at least through a preservation effort.

Author
Time

I just want Friday the 13th 3D, in the worst way. I've never seen it in true 3D, and after the last big release of the Friday collection, I doubt it will ever be released officially.

“Lifes a song you don’t get to rehearse, and every single verse can make it that much worse”

Author
Time
 (Edited)

skoal said:

Hi, I looked and could only find references to Flesh for Frankenstein (1973) 3D. Is that what you meant? Either way, Blood For Dracula 3D sounds awesome.

suntech said:

Andy Warhol"S Presentation of Paul Morrissey' s Blood For Dracula Was originally done in 3D. You needed polarized glasses for viewing it. It is a shame that it hasn't been released in 3D Blu Ray.  I would go out and get a new 3D Flatscreen just for that. 

 

 Well it was 40 years ago or so when I saw it at a theater, so yes it was Flesh for Frankenstein  in 3D.  But you know Warhol, all his stuff looks alike ;). They both were fun movies to watch at a Midnight Show.

Author
Time

I can get most 3D movies on 35mm film, so it would be possible to do a transfer from those sources.

It would be a lot of work, most were over/under 3D (two images per frame), so they would have to be stabilised and converted to frame packed for 3D viewing on current televisions.

It would be possible if one had the time to then colour correct for better consistency between the left/right views, and even fix some of the misalignment errors on the originals.

Donations welcome: paypal.me/poit
bitcoin:13QDjXjt7w7BFiQc4Q7wpRGPtYKYchnm8x
Help get The Original Trilogy preserved!

Author
Time

Welcome back p. I love these 10-year old threads!

You raise a good point, scanning the film is one thing, but it then needs quite a bit of work by someone with the interest and the expertise to create a watchable release.

__Valeyard.net __Vimeo

Author
Time

TripleHBK said:

 I have a very nice quality SBS Version of Friday the 13th part 3.  It utilizes the Blu Ray for One Eye and the DVD for the other.  For all intents and purposes it's HD and looks great.

 I would LOVE to see this. Did you make it yourself? Or is it out there, y'know, for the taking?

Author
Time

Hi, did you make this yourself?

Why Blu-Ray and DVD for each eye? Are you joking? Did you downscale the Blu-Ray resolution or upscale the DVD resolution Would this even work with 3D(/SBS)?

TripleHBK said:

I have a very nice quality SBS Version of Friday the 13th part 3.  It utilizes the Blu Ray for One Eye and the DVD for the other.

 

Author
Time

This isn't my creation, it was given to me by another forum member "jsonthegreat" from Blu-ray.com shortly after the release of the collection.

 The reason for the 2 separate sources (one DVD & One Blu Ray) is that one eye is from the dvd (I can't remember which, but let's call it the left) and one from the Blu Ray (Let's call it the Right).  The reason is that when 3D is filmed with a dual camera setup 2 separate perspectives are created and For whatever reason, the DVD used the Left eye perspective, while the Blu Ray used the right eye perspective.  The fact that both perspectives were available meant they could be assembled into a fully functioning Real 3d image, and not just one that was post processed into 3D.  

Again, I didn't do any of the work myself, so I can't go into specifics beyond what I've said as I really don't know much more but from what I was told, the DVD was scaled and synced with the Blu Ray release.

I'm unaware if this was ever released publicly on any sites or newsgroups. The creator was banned from the forum shortly after talking about it, and I haven't seen him since.  I was fortunate enough to be one of the few folks that got a copy prior to him getting the boot, so I really don't know how many other people have copies.  

I'd be happy to share for those interested but need to find a viable method for sharing.  I may try the sendspace multiple link route that TeamBlu has used in the past, as I don't want to permanently host a torrent, nor am I really interested in mailing out copies. With that said, I'll look into what other options I have, and see if I can't get this hosted somewhere.  

One solution may be for interested parties to create their own mega.co.nz accounts as I believe I could transfer the files to new accounts from my my account without it counting towards individual bandwidth limits, but I'm not sure on that.  The file is 11GB in size.  I've used my Plex media server to stream it previously myself though I have a copy burned to bd-r as well.  Ideally, someone would be interested in taking this and turning it into a full release with menu and extra's and possibly the 2D version all on a BD-50, but for now that's wishful thinking.

Author
Time

TripleHBK said:

This isn't my creation, it was given to me by another forum member "jsonthegreat" from Blu-ray.com shortly after the release of the collection.

 The reason for the 2 separate sources (one DVD & One Blu Ray) is that one eye is from the dvd (I can't remember which, but let's call it the left) and one from the Blu Ray (Let's call it the Right).  The reason is that when 3D is filmed with a dual camera setup 2 separate perspectives are created and For whatever reason, the DVD used the Left eye perspective, while the Blu Ray used the right eye perspective.  The fact that both perspectives were available meant they could be assembled into a fully functioning Real 3d image, and not just one that was post processed into 3D.  

Again, I didn't do any of the work myself, so I can't go into specifics beyond what I've said as I really don't know much more but from what I was told, the DVD was scaled and synced with the Blu Ray release.

I'm unaware if this was ever released publicly on any sites or newsgroups. The creator was banned from the forum shortly after talking about it, and I haven't seen him since.  I was fortunate enough to be one of the few folks that got a copy prior to him getting the boot, so I really don't know how many other people have copies.  

I'd be happy to share for those interested but need to find a viable method for sharing.  I may try the sendspace multiple link route that TeamBlu has used in the past, as I don't want to permanently host a torrent, nor am I really interested in mailing out copies. With that said, I'll look into what other options I have, and see if I can't get this hosted somewhere.  

One solution may be for interested parties to create their own mega.co.nz accounts as I believe I could transfer the files to new accounts from my my account without it counting towards individual bandwidth limits, but I'm not sure on that.  The file is 11GB in size.  I've used my Plex media server to stream it previously myself though I have a copy burned to bd-r as well.  Ideally, someone would be interested in taking this and turning it into a full release with menu and extra's and possibly the 2D version all on a BD-50, but for now that's wishful thinking.

 I'm excited at the possibility of seeing this! I hope you find a way to share, if possible.

“Lifes a song you don’t get to rehearse, and every single verse can make it that much worse”

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Hi TripleHBK and others,

Does jsonthegreat still show up here?

From what I understand, both perspectives (Left and Right) are available on both the DVD and BR. I still don't understand why each perspective was taken from a different source (with a different resolution). Can someone shed light upon this?

Instead of 11GB, if possible, I'd rather have a 1080p 3-to-6GB MPEG-4 AVC in a MP4/MKV container. This is just a rant (please let me know if it belongs somewhere else)

TripleHBK said:

...

The reason for the 2 separate sources (one DVD & One Blu Ray) is that one eye is from the dvd (I can't remember which, but let's call it the left) and one from the Blu Ray (Let's call it the Right).

...

The file is 11GB in size. ... Ideally, someone would be interested in taking this and turning it into a full release with menu and extra's and possibly the 2D version all on a BD-50, but for now that's wishful thinking.