logo Sign In

3 ways Marcia Lucas (then wife of George Lucas) saved Star Wars — Page 2

Author
Time

Leonardo said:

dude, I have that exact same shirt! and a double chin... I'm also trying to grow a beard...

Then you must look just like Marcia.

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lg7h8mJMSB1qafrh6.gif

Author
Time

Leonardo said:

dude, I have that exact same shirt! and a double chin... I'm also trying to grow a beard... I've deleted many things from my past....

AAAAAAAAGHHH!!!!!!

You actually look like Raul from MonkeyAndApple :DD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_jVz9Z2SBY

Author
Time

the claim that marcia looks like george is one of the strangest things i've ever read on any forum ever

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Beard, flannel shirt, black rimmed glasses...

Young George Lucas was such a hipster.

"Seriously guys, I'm totally an experimental artist. I don't do the whole commercial thing."

Author
Time

zombie84 said:

Beard, flannel shirt, black rimmed glasses...

Young George Lucas was such a hipster.

"Seriously guys, I'm totally an experimental artist. I don't do the whole commercial thing."

Marcia Lucas is so mainstream.

;-)

Author
Time

twooffour said:

You actually look like Raul from MonkeyAndApple :DD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_jVz9Z2SBY

*watches a few videos*

wow, that guy is one of the unfunniest people I've ever seen. He's trying, oh you can tell that. But he fails miserably. I mean, seriously, all the videos I've seen feature the same annoying character, they're too damn long and repetitive, and just do not make me chuckle.

also, I don't see a resemblance.

[/off topic]

Author
Time

I've watched more than a half of his videos, and find them gut-bustingly hilarious almost with no exception.

And he does look like you :P

Author
Time

twooffour said:

And he does look like you :P

ok, now he does

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Wait, that's your actual photo??

hey man, sorry about what i said before, ok?

Author
Time

Leonardo said:

I think we've established twooffour's issues with resemblances.

Author
Time

TV's Frink said:

Leonardo said:

I think we've established twooffour's issues with resemblances.

Don't be too insensitive to Leonardo, okay? I've just retracted my earlier statement, I don't think he looks any similar to the Youtube guy.

Author
Time

Wow. I had always wondered what contributions Marcia may have made and what exactly led to their breakup. Can't say I'm very surprised.

VADER!? WHERE THE HELL IS MY MOCHA LATTE? -Palpy on a very bad day.
“George didn’t think there was any future in dead Han toys.”-Harrison Ford
YT channel:
https://www.youtube.com/c/DamnFoolIdealisticCrusader

Author
Time

TheBoost said:

Besides being dumb on all levels, and more than a little mysoginistic... legally this can't hold any water and to think it does is lunacy. It's like saying John Williams wouldn't get his royallty because they cut four seconds of one of the themes.

While I agree that, yeah, the supposed reasoning there is stupid and obviously made up by someone who has no understanding of law, I admit I fail to see what's the least bit misogynistic about it.

There is no lingerie in space…

C3PX said: Gaffer is like that hot girl in high school that you think you have a chance with even though she is way out of your league because she is sweet and not a stuck up bitch who pretends you don’t exist… then one day you spot her making out with some skinny twerp, only on second glance you realize it is the goth girl who always sits in the back of class; at that moment it dawns on you why she is never seen hanging off the arm of any of the jocks… and you realize, damn, she really is unobtainable after all. Not that that is going to stop you from dreaming… Only in this case, Gaffer is actually a guy.

Author
Time

zombie84 said:

This actually makes me want to write to Marcia again. Maybe she will be game for another interview if she knows that lots of people are interested in her work. I haven't spoken with her in a while now.

How freaking cool is it that Marcia Lucas has corresponded with you? I'll tell you how cool: very. How did that come about Zombie?

“It is only through interaction, through decision and choice, through confrontation, physical or mental, that the Force can grow within you.”
-Kreia, Jedi Master and Sith Lord

Author
Time

Those were interesting articles.

You'd think that Lucas would have tried to emulate the talented people he surrounded himself with in the early days of Star Wars.  Can't he see why Han shooting first is just better?

Author
Time

hitfan said:

Those were interesting articles.

You'd think that Lucas would have tried to emulate the talented people he surrounded himself with in the early days of Star Wars.  Can't he see why only Han shooting is just better?

Fixed.

Author
Time

I remember reading this article awhile back.  I thought it was insightful.  I know I also made mention in some thread that it would be interesting if in fact the real reason George has been toying & tinkering with the Trilogy all this time was to push out any involvement she ever had with it and him....essentially writing her out of the "official history" of all things related.  Maybe out of spite, maybe to maximize his profit and his importance in the grand scheme of things.

George holding a silent grudge all this time......weirder things have happened.

Author
Time

Quackula said:

the claim that marcia looks like george is one of the strangest things i've ever read on any forum ever

Not sure how old you are but generally, when people date, they go for similar characteristics to themselves - perhaps unknowingly.

I can only speak for my male counterparts, but men more or less seek similar features to their mothers. So if their mother has blonde hair, they will find women with blonde hair more attractive.

It is a trifle bizarre but when you realise it, it's kinda difficult to miss.

Author
Time

I'd love to see a table sit-down discussion among Marcia, Kurtz, Kasdan, Kazanjian, and the other producers/writers/editors on the OT that were so crucial to its success.

Though I wonder if they felt strongly enough about making the behind the scenes truths known they would speak out more. Maybe they've just moved on. Last year Kurtz talked about his departure and the disagreement over ROTJ's storyline. I'd love to hear more about that, not because I desire fuel for the Lucas hate, but it's simply really interesting.

“Grow up. These are my Disney's movies, not yours.”

Author
Time

SteveE said:

Quackula said:

Not sure how old you are but generally, when people date, they go for similar characteristics to themselves - perhaps unknowingly.

I can only speak for my male counterparts, but men more or less seek similar features to their mothers. So if their mother has blonde hair, they will find women with blonde hair more attractive.

It is a trifle bizarre but when you realise it, it's kinda difficult to miss.

You certainly don't speak for me.

Author
Time

Maybe there is some sort of legal reason why Marcia stays so low.

George lost a lot of money in the divorce, Tom Rodriques seemed to have quite a bit money to spend when he divorced Marcia.

There may be all manner of legal money flurries and gagging orders fluttering around.

The Annie Arbogast rumour only bubbled up recently so there is probably a fair load of hidden truth and innuendo out there.

There again she may just had enough of it all.

My personal view is it's none of my business what happened in their personal lives.

It's a shame that a very talented woman has dropped off the map in terms of what she used to do as an artist, just as it's a shame that a once very talented man seems to spend all of his time deforming his previous work and hiding the original pieces from public view.

I would really love to see her working again and secretly I would be fascinated to see how she might have edited the SEs and PT (but keep that under your hats folks).

Author
Time

She's sadly absent from the blu-ray of TAXI DRIVER, who knows if we'll ever get to hear her insight on that, I'm sure she has some. Feels like a little bit of collateral damage to film knowledge/history there. Put it on the shelf with the rest.

Author
Time

I don't think there is any legal shenanegans going on. The truth is, she just wants out of the spotlight. She gave up editing to raise a family long before she divorced George Lucas. It was a decision she made around 1979 or so. There's almost certainly nothing to do with Star Wars copyrights and Special Editions and the like.

I have a feeling that by the time she had gotten her family time (the reason she left the biz and then Lucas) it was the 1990s, like Lucas, but unlike Lucas she couldn't really return to the industry if she wanted to because she hadn't edited anything since the late 1970s and probably couldn't get back into the union/ everyone forgot about her. She would have been about 50 years old keep in mind. I think by that time she had gotten involved in other ventures and didn't really have the inclination to try to break back in.

@ the prequelsrule: Marcia came to me after I wrote the only existing biographical article on her and her work. Our correspondence was not too extensive and she hasn't contacted me since.