logo Sign In

21 Jump Street/Booker TV series- WIP

Author
Time

I am in the very early stages with this

I grew up with this series and it was the first time I bought a DVD series and couldn’t watch it due to the music not being there. This show introduced me to so much music as a kid. I heard Monkey Man by The Rolling Stones for the first time watching this show. When it wasn’t there I took the dvd out of my player so disgusted.

So twenty some years later I find out this show was released in Germany with the original music on DVD. So I ponied up the cash bought the series. I have also ordered a region 4 Australian set of DVDs of Booker it will be probably 6-8 weeks till its here. It appears the original music for Booker is only on this collection. I have also ordered the US release complete series of 21 Jump Street should be here in a few days. I have also ordered a region free dvd player my little external usb one isn’t going to keep changing regions.

First of the German imports have all of the original music on the German audio tracks. The first 4 Seasons a few episodes of the English track do not. None of the original music is on the English track of S5. The German imports also have some scenes cut for violence. Thus I have ordered the US versions. I also plan to preserve any commentary tracks.

Booker was a spinoff show that lasted one season but several of the storylines conclude and characters crossover on that show. And it to suffered from its music being replaced with muzak.

I also plan to present Booker S1E8 Wheels and Deals Part 1 with its original intro opening credits it was released on DVD as an episode of 21 Jump Street w Jump Street opening credits since it sets up the and concludes there S4E10 Wheels and Deals Part 2.

The first 4 seasons of the German imports look pretty damn good considering but S5 looks like VHS. I will be comparing both DVDs for which had the better picture quality. Another fun thing with German imports is they cut the fade to black fade in where commercial breaks would be. I feel like those little breaks should be there.

Where I know I will need help is with restoring the audio with original music from the German tracks to the English tracks. I may buy a new laptop my ten year imac is a fine machine but Final Cut Pro shuts down a lot on me and I can’t even come close to attempting even any type of upscaling on my current machine.

Again I am in the early stages of this and gladly accept any help or advice.

Author
Time

What about the episode that was excluded entirely for Booker on the DVDs?

Raccoons

Author
Time
 (Edited)

To my knowledge two episodes were excluded in the US release of Booker E8 Wheels and Deals and E9 Someone Stole Lucille E8 was included on 21 Jump Street DVDs and E9 couldn’t be cleared for music rights The Who cover songs and BB King. The US versions couldn’t clear the Billy Idol song for the opening credits Hot in the City

The region 4 release has all of the music but not episode 8. I have that episode on the German import.

Interesting that Booker is streaming E9 with with songs I mentioned. Other episodes I glanced at streaming clearly have muzak in certain spots. It’s near impossible to get a clear idea of what songs were there most info I’m finding is from 20 year old posts on message boards. I did discover they considered bringing back Richard Grieco to Jump Street for season 5 even filmed some scenes but they went with other guy.

Author
Time

Hey, I’ve just started using Topaz to upscale 21 Jump Street into 1080p. It’s a slow process because my laptop isn’t super high spec. But I’m planning on getting a new desktop in the next few months which should hopefully speed it up. I’ve done some previews which look promising. Unfortunately the processing of a full episode seems to be too much for my laptop and it errors on me quite a bit. The 30 second previews I’ve been looking at look pretty good though so far. I’ll keep you updated of any progress.