logo Sign In

2009: State of Star Wars

Author
Time

Well folks, where is SW right about now?

We've had the Clone Wars animated movie, which I won't be seeing. There's an impossible to keep track of number of books available, most of which seem to be dreadfully uninteresting. There's the TV show - I don't know if it's on the air, and if it is, I don't know which channel has it. There has been some talk of a 3D presentation and I don't know what the latest news is on that front. I've heard nothing about a Blu-Ray set and I'm not enthused about the idea unless, of course, it's a state of the art Blu-Ray release of the OUT. What's more, I haven't watched the GOUT - or any SW - in so long I can't even remember.

I guess by definition I'm more or less done with SW. That's a little sad to me. But it's hard for me to generate enthusiasm for the brand these days. If not for discussions here about OT plot points and the shortcomings of post-1998 SW releases (which are, understandably, fewer and further between), I don't think I'd be talking about SW at all, anywhere.

What is your state of SW?

Want to book yourself or a guest on THE VFP Show? PM me!

Author
Time

Probably stronger than ever. All the crappy CW and prequel stuff has just pushed me back into OT-land, whereas if it was 2001 I would have been distracted by a number of PT stuff, books, comics and games. Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back are still the same classic films they were ten years ago, twenty years ago and thirty years ago. It sucks watching the GOUT, but to be honest I would still be watching my VHS tapes--and sometimes still do--so I can live with it. Meanwhile, the fight to get back the OT continues and grows stronger--I think the post-PT shit has led many people to realise that at the end of the day the OT is really where its at. The hype of the PT is gone and people are realising that the OT was all the more special. Meanwhile, the GOUT, sad as it may be, has become a standard of DVD release now--there's been more releases WITH the original theatrical editions included than without, which is an encouraging sign an will hopefully re-normalise the OOT in the minds of people.

Author
Time

My state of Star Wars?

I saw the Clone Wars movie in theaters, and though I thought it was underwhelming I gave the show a try and am enjoying it so far.  But honestly if it wasn't for Revisited, I think I'd be full-on in my Star Trek kick (I tend to drift in and out of the franchises; this is the first time I've been genuinely excited about both).

I'll give the live action show a shot (if the franchise isn't run into the ground by then and it still gets made), but the books lost me about halfway through the prequel release timeframe, as I realized that Lucas didn't give a rat's patootie about the books, so why should I?

Star Wars Revisited Wordpress

Star Wars Visual Comparisons WordPress

Author
Time
zombie84 said:

It sucks watching the GOUT, but to be honest I would still be watching my VHS tapes...so I can live with it.

+1

The state of my Star Wars world is strong (Star Wars77 & NPR). Plus - I finally have a much more stable version of what I had been watching the past few decades (DVD vs tape) .

No complaints here.

Forum Moderator
Author
Time

The drama surrounding the original versions keeps me interested. It's fascinating and annoying at the same time. (well, it's the most interesting part of the current LFL universe, which is essentially a QVC shopping channel-type enterprise now)

Author
Time
 (Edited)

I am interested in that making of empire strikes back book from del rey. too bad it does not come out til 2010.

The only thing good to come out of star wars lately to me is the Making of Star Wars book.  That was based on Charlie Lippincott's interviews he conducted for his unpublished and unwritten making of book, but he compiled all the relevant material.  He should at least be named as a co author next to rinzler.

I have yet to read the unofficial Secret History of Star Wars book, but i don't have the money at the moment. 

My Library does not have a copy.  And they purchase only from the big publising houses, and would not consider buying an amateur work, i would not call it that but they would.

I mean they stopped buying the science fiction books altogether, and now only purchase the best selling regular fiction and non fiction.

Then no longer even buy star wars or star trek, or even the literary sci fi and fantasy anymore.

The best unofficial Book on Star Wars and Lucas in general is Skywalking but is outdated being written in 1983.  Does the Secret history of star wars fill in those missing years?

I have very little to look forward to with Star Wars because the gout is shit quality and non anamorphic and have no hope of ever seeing the films in a dvd level quality.  I already had the Laserdiscs so that release was the biggest slap in the face ever, and a total ripoff since i already had the 2004 set.

One fan on Amazon.com called it the con of the century,lol.

It is actually inferior to the laserdiscs since they feature PCM sound, and the dvd's have dolby digital 2.0,lol.

Yeah the image quality is better than the laserdisc but has had sharpening applied to it and looks like garbage.  I'll take the soft image of the laserdisc anyday over the dvd that makes the flaws of the original d2 telecine so transparent.  It is no wonder that the film prints, the IP, and negatives were in such horrible shape.  Color shifting and scratches and dirt everywhere, that in 1997 a restoration was necessary.  What was not necessary were all the new and retarded cgi effects and cartoon characters added.

A lot of the 1997 i can forgive mostly because in the theater the colors were at least right, the sound mixed properly.  And the scenes that were not changed look better than they ever had up to that point. But the 2004 was just an abomination in so many ways.

As far as im concerned the star wars i grew up with as well as the Indiana Jones i grew up with died a long time ago.  I can bitch and whine until i am blue in the face about the direction Lucas took Star Wars and Indiana Jones in, i disagree and hate the currrent state of things but i won't lose sleep at night about it.  Star Wars is not my life, It is a pretty awesome film trilogy made from 1977-1983 that i have loved since i was a small child, but that is it.  I have no control to stop George from destroying the best films he ever made and replacing them with absolute horseshit.  I mean by his own "certain point of view" he is improving the films so who am i to disagree.

“Always loved Vader’s wordless self sacrifice. Another shitty, clueless, revision like Greedo and young Anakin’s ghost. What a fucking shame.” -Simon Pegg.

Author
Time

I'd say star wars is still going strong despite the missteps we've seen in 1999, 2002 and 2005. The GOUT is not perfect but has somewhat pleased me. It has its flaws though. I won't even get into the folly that was the special edition and 2004 DVD release.

I still wish I could find the ISOMIX trilogy for download, for me this transfer of the good OOT is still the best. All I am missing is Return of the Jedi. That has been the dark side of star wars for me, trying to find this file over the last 3 years since losing it due to a hard drive crash. Anyone who can help me get the ISOMIX trilogy back can email me at bbbb@email.com. Yes that is the downside of star wars for me but apart from that star wars is still my favorite movie series by far. For me it is the original trilogy all the way.

Author
Time

I enjoyed the CW Movie for its camp value and the over the top schtick. (I almost liked it for being bad.)  Plus I took some kids to it and we had a lot of fun despite its shortcomings. 

On the other hand, the CW TV Series is excellent. It makes great use of the characters and the imagery. Yes, it can be a kid show at times, and you do have to be patient with it, but watching the program is always rewarding. And its a great thing to share if you have youngsters around. Its not the sort of thing you have to feel bad about watching.  In a way, its better than the prequel trilogy.

I eagerly anticipate the release of any new Fan Films, Fan Created DVDs and Fan Edits. They have always been an obsession of mine. I love Star Wars DVDs. I follow almost every single project. I currently look forward to the mythical, long awaited "Magnolia Fan Episode III" and Adywan's ESB project.

I didn't know about "The Making of ESB" book until this thread. That's certainly something to look forward too.

I wouldn't mind seeing the Trilogy released in the Blu-Ray format.

I'm also a Star Wars gamer, so I'll be keeping my eye on anything that comes along.

I still pick up the odd Star Wars collectible. I'm far from a completist, but I'll be waiting for a thing or two.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Interesting to see others views on this one.  Personally, I think there has been a kind of 'diluting' of the greatness that the Original Trilogy was once held in by the masses.  Between the Prequels, the cartoons, and the videogames, there seems to have been an 'over-saturation' of new Star Wars characters and events (not necessarily better) on show, since the terrific originals were held in such high regard.

As far as the original versions, since their poor 'creative choices' in their transfer to DVD (both SE and GOUT forms), I am only really excited about them again in Adywan's treatment (and future proposed treatment, which I have no doubts, will be excellent) of the Original Trilogy, and the Prequels. 

Unfortunately, I wish that his treatment of 'SW:Revisited' and what comes next, could be the versions that were 'out there' in the public domain for EVERYONE.  Too bad that only a small percentage of Star Wars fans will ever know about these, or see them.  Lucky us then!  :)

As far as any more future Star Wars-related product from George Lucas now, I am looking forward to see if he can improve on his OT a bit for it's Blu-ray unveiling, and I am certainly looking forward to seeing how his 'live-action' TV series works out.  What I am REALLY looking forward too also, on the 'official product' front though, will be the eventual 3D theatrical releases....  That should be worth a watch or two, I reckon.    

Author
Time

same here. as my opinion, i'm not as big a fanatic as i used to be, but i love reading about the EU and

collecting the novels, graphic and novelization. i like the clone wars series and the movie. few flaws i may say,

otherwise, exciting. i think star wars is far from over, how we all adapt to that is another thing.

Author
Time
vote_for_palpatine said:

We've had the Clone Wars animated movie, which I won't be seeing. There's an impossible to keep track of number of books available, most of which seem to be dreadfully uninteresting. There's the TV show - I don't know if it's on the air, and if it is, I don't know which channel has it. There has been some talk of a 3D presentation and I don't know what the latest news is on that front. I've heard nothing about a Blu-Ray set and I'm not enthused about the idea unless, of course, it's a state of the art Blu-Ray release of the OUT. What's more, I haven't watched the GOUT - or any SW - in so long I can't even remember.

I guess by definition I'm more or less done with SW. That's a little sad to me. But it's hard for me to generate enthusiasm for the brand these days. If not for discussions here about OT plot points and the shortcomings of post-1998 SW releases (which are, understandably, fewer and further between), I don't think I'd be talking about SW at all, anywhere.

My state of SW is the same as yours.

I have not watched OOT in two years.

The drive is just gone and I also feel that I'm more or less done with SW.

The fun in SW is gone and I have try not to let the SE, Prequels, EU, the over releases, GOUT and the new CW cartoon effect me, but they have.

For me Lucas actions from 1997 to today has drained the fun out of SW.

If Lucas came out with a remastered OOT DVDs, some of the drive may come back, but not all of it.

My like for Lucas is dead and will never come back.

The Relationship Lucas has with the SW fans is an Abusive Relationship filled with Lucas withholding, lies, Emotional abuse, power plays and control games. The thing is that a person can only be Abusive to another for so long before the another will walk away forever.  Lucas has abused OOT fans and some SW Fans for too long and I think people are starting to walk away.

Author
Time
Hunter6 said:
vote_for_palpatine said:

My state of SW is the same as yours.

I have not watched OOT in two years.

The drive is just gone and I also feel that I'm more or less done with SW.

The fun in SW is gone and I have try not to let the SE, Prequels, EU, the over releases, GOUT and the new CW cartoon effect me, but they have.

For me Lucas actions from 1997 to today has drained the fun out of SW.

If Lucas came out with a remastered OOT DVDs, some of the drive may come back, but not all of it.

My like for Lucas is dead and will never come back.

The Relationship Lucas has with the SW fans is an Abusive Relationship filled with Lucas withholding, lies, Emotional abuse, power plays and control games. The thing is that a person can only be Abusive to another for so long before the another will walk away forever.  Lucas has abused OOT fans and some SW Fans for too long and I think people are starting to walk away.

ouch! that hurts! u know, the people who walk away will be the older generations, while the new generation

will keep on going, because wat they see now is wat they're used to and prolly think the PT and all its

ailments is better then the OOT.

Author
Time
 (Edited)
rcb said:

ouch! that hurts! u know, the people who walk away will be the older generations, while the new generation

will keep on going, because wat they see now is wat they're used to and prolly think the PT and all its

ailments is better then the OOT.

It is odd to me, but there are some who see the prequel trilogy as better and they are in love with Lucas, but like I said Lucas has an abusive Relationship with SW fans. One day in the future, Lucas will more likely piss off the PT-fans just like he pissed off the OOT-Fans.

On this post (#22)I wrote about the stange future in which we may see an original prequel trilogy Movement just like the original, original trilogy Movement of today:

http://originaltrilogy.com/forum/topic.cfm/Georges-Unaltered-Prequel-trilogy/topic/10021/

Deep in my gut I feel that Lucas will make a Prequel Trilogy: Special Edtion and some of the prequel trilogy fans may turn on him just like the OOT-Fans have.

one day, We may see....   Lucas Bashing: The Next Generation.

It maybe a Stange Future for Us.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

The state of Star Wars: Soundly fucked.

But who knows, maybe there's hope. I keep hoping one day the OOT will be out on blu ray and later formats. It's awful that we now have lots of people accepting the pukewell trilogy as a rightful part of the saga and accepting stuff like the animated series as real Star Wars. Star Wars keeps getting abused and abused and abused.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

one answer the gout, that is the state of the original trilogy.  Non Anamorphic transfers taken from an old 1993 laserdisc master tape. Washed out and not restored, scratches, dirt and bad dvnr.

Even Episode 1 that had a previous non anamorphic laserdisc master lying around got a new telecine in anamorphic for its dvd debut.  Despite the fact that it has some edge enhancement problems and a little of the dvnr gone wrong it was released in anamorphic widescreen at true dvd resolution.  Laserdiscs are interlaced and not the same resolution as a dvd, so they somehow made the master de-interlaced for the dvd.

“Always loved Vader’s wordless self sacrifice. Another shitty, clueless, revision like Greedo and young Anakin’s ghost. What a fucking shame.” -Simon Pegg.

Author
Time
vote_for_palpatine said:

We've had the Clone Wars animated movie, which I won't be seeing.

any particular reason why? it's basically an intro to the tv show, and does just that, and

nothing more, it's not meant to compete with the prequels or the OT

There's an impossible to keep track of number of books available, most of which seem to be dreadfully uninteresting.

perhaps to you, but if you actually looked at them, then you could tell if they were interesting or

not, instead of just inexplicably writing them off as 'uninteresting'...how can you know, if you

don't even know what they are about, that doesn't seem to make sense???

There's the TV show - I don't know if it's on the air, and if it is, I don't know which channel has it.

why do you act like you don't know about this? there's threads about this, in this very forum,

and plenty of talk for the last several months about it, its on the  cartoon network, its streamed

from the starwars site, and its on youtube, look it up!

There has been some talk of a 3D presentation and I don't know what the latest news is on that front.

again, do you just not want to know about whats going on? do you only visit this board every few years? there IS news, is just not definitive yet..

I've heard nothing about a Blu-Ray set and I'm not enthused about the idea unless, of course, it's a state of the art Blu-Ray release of the OUT.

the reason you haven't heard about it, is because there is NO NEWS to talk about here..

What's more, I haven't watched the GOUT - or any SW - in so long I can't even remember.

again, because of your own doing, no one's forcing you to watch it

I guess by definition I'm more or less done with SW. That's a little sad to me.

why is it a 'little' sad? you obviously don't care anymore, the 'star wars' fad has run its course for you,

so let it die then????

But it's hard for me to generate enthusiasm for the brand these days.

you already said you were done with it, so why do you need to generate enthausiasm?

confusing????????

If not for discussions here about OT plot points and the shortcomings of post-1998 SW releases (which are, understandably, fewer and further between), I don't think I'd be talking about SW at all, anywhere.

again, if you're done with, why do you even care?

SW IS GOING SUPER STRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i've gotten back into star wars like never before, maybe even bigger when the original came

out in 1977 when i first saw it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I LOVE THE CLONE WARS SHOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i haven't played the games yet, but i will someday, and maybe even read a few books..

i've gotten about 20-30 different releases of just the OT in CED/Laserdisc/DVD's, film,

and every format under the sun..

i've seen the 8mm/16mm clips....and seen every kind of restoration imagineable...

i've played around with all kinds of cool image processing techniques that have breathed

new life into the GOUT, and played around with all kinds of high-def stuff...

i'm working on restoring the original 35mm version of star wars and empire, and doing

all kinds of other research on film....

there's so much going on with star wars, i can't even begin to talk about the amazing and

wonderful things going on here on this board, and outside of it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i am in STAR WARS HEAVEN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i'm not sure it can get any better, but it just might !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

later

[no GOUT in CED?-> GOUT CED]

Author
Time
 (Edited)

double post..oh and i forgot this..

thanks again Lucas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

later

[no GOUT in CED?-> GOUT CED]

Author
Time
 (Edited)
vote_for_palpatine said:

My enthusiasm has waned. I just got a new HDTV (my first), and with trepidation, I viewed segments of the GOUT discs, afraid of what I was going to see. I have to say that the DVDs don't look as bad as I feared they would on the new TV.

I'm resigned to the idea that this is the best version of the OOT I'm ever going to have, until one of the talented people here creates a '04 SE DVD/GOUT hybrid OT. So, I can live with the GOUT until then. ;-)

But whatever excitement that I would have had for the OT being released on Blu-ray has been killed. I'm just getting into Blu-ray now and I'm happy about seeing some of my favorite films being released in this phenomenal new home video format..... except for my three favorite films of all time, of course. :-(

Author
Time

2008 was a good Star Wars year for me. First, Adywan released Star Wars revisited. Second, I got the Master Replicas Collector's Edition Stormtrooper helmet (a UK exclusive), which is a great likeness for a great price. Third, Hasbro released its new big Millennium Falcon. And fourth, I've enjoyed the Clone Wars cartoon show (with my 6 yo son) more than I thought I would.

Looking forward, I can't help but be optimistic. The OOT will eventually come out in a decent release. Every year that passes brings us closer to that eventual release. I can be patient.

Star Wars has kind of become a buffet for me. Some things are good, some things are crap. I just pick out the good parts and forget about the rest. Once I realized it's ALL "Infinities", it became much easier to be a fan.

You know of the rebellion against the Empire?

Author
Time

I loaned out my 2004 set to my soon to be sister in law's nieces.  I am not even going to ask for it back it is garbage.  I have my gout and that is probably the best i will ever see the movies i grew up with.

I have them also in fanamorphic for when i buy an HDTV 16:9 set.  There is no increase in reolution however with them being upscaled to anamorphic.  When there is no further information in the picture source.  From an outdated telecined source d2 master tape that is 16 years old, you can't expect much better than laserdisc resolution and 4:3 Letterbox. 

Some Laserdiscs were released as anamorphic Star Wars was not one of them.  It also was never released on the japanese imuse format that was playable on the X-0 or X-9 players.  You know the first hdtv video discs that were 1080i and less than stellar.  Most tv broadcasts in HD 1080i are better looking.

Author
Time
skyjedi2005 said:

I loaned out my 2004 set to my soon to be sister in law's nieces.  I am not even going to ask for it back it is garbage.  I have my gout and that is probably the best i will ever see the movies i grew up with.

I have them also in fanamorphic for when i buy an HDTV 16:9 set.  There is no increase in reolution however with them being upscaled to anamorphic.  When there is no further information in the picture source.  From an outdated telecined source d2 master tape that is 16 years old, you can't expect much better than laserdisc resolution and 4:3 Letterbox. 

Some Laserdiscs were released as anamorphic Star Wars was not one of them.  It also was never released on the japanese imuse format that was playable on the X-0 or X-9 players.  You know the first hdtv video discs that were 1080i and less than stellar.  Most tv broadcasts in HD 1080i are better looking.

You should definitely check out the GOUT Image Stabilization project. It at least removes a lot of the dupe grain and other image problems.

Author
Time
Vaderisnothayden said:

But who knows, maybe there's hope. I keep hoping one day the OOT will be out on blu ray and later formats. It's awful that we now have lots of people accepting the pukewell trilogy as a rightful part of the saga and accepting stuff like the animated series as real Star Wars. Star Wars keeps getting abused and abused and abused.

as i had said, refering to your comment on the pukewell trilogy, the newer generation is going to accept it more then

the older generation. i still hear complaints about lucas creating the special editions of the movies. to me, being one

of the more recent generations, i still think the OT is better then the PT. i still accept them though as part of the

saga. and the special editions of the OT were one of the smartest ideas lucas had.

Author
Time

Smart idea or not, I don't really care. I am absolutely thrilled there are people like you (rcb) who throughly enjoy the SE and think it was an amazing feat of intelligence for him to have added those things to the films. Seriously, this is great, I really couldn't be more pleased with that aspect of the issue. I have loved these movies my whole life, and am thrilled to see other love them, even if in some altered form. Even the prequels don't bother me so much. I a pretty much hate the later two as much as I could possibly hate any film. To me they are just unbelievably horrible films and I cannot stand to watch them, but I think it is great so many SW fans, old and new, accept them inspite of all their flaws (some to such a degree they seem to think they are flawless). I do not begrudge other fans for liking these aspects of SW, I am very happy they find the great enjoyment in these things that I have found in the SW I grew up with.

What turns the whole thing sour to me is the treatment of the originals. Bottom line. The end. It leaves a very bitter taste in my mouth, and irks me to no end. Defend Lucus on his vast intelligence for having created a beautiful CG Jabba, Jar Jar Binks as well as a brilliant and shocking turn to the darkside for Anakin, but I really cannot stand it when Lucas fans defend his treatment of the originals.

Star Wars is in a sad state. Not so much to me because it has nuked the fridge (ironic that very term come to us from another work of the flannel man himself), I'd argue that all good things will do that sooner or later and that it would be ashame to let newer, lesser quality materials ruin the experience of the parts that were good. With something as popular as Star Wars always has been, it is to be expected that it will eventually collapse in on itself. To me the sign of SW's sorry state is the fact that the very films that made it popular in the first place are not recieving the treatment they deserve, and that some fans are so in love with everything Georgie does, they actually defend him in this.

"Every time Warb sighs, an angel falls into a vat of mapel syrup." - Gaffer Tape

Author
Time
rcb said:
Vaderisnothayden said:

as i had said, refering to your comment on the pukewell trilogy, the newer generation is going to accept it more then

the older generation. i still hear complaints about lucas creating the special editions of the movies. to me, being one

of the more recent generations, i still think the OT is better then the PT. i still accept them though as part of the

saga. and the special editions of the OT were one of the smartest ideas lucas had.

The newer generation isn't going to give a damn about the PT in a decade or two, while the older generation (and some younger people) will still give a damn about the OT.

As for calling the SE a smart idea, yeah right, like shitting on great art is a smart idea.

Author
Time
Vaderisnothayden said:
rcb said:
Vaderisnothayden said:

The newer generation isn't going to give a damn about the PT in a decade or two, while the older generation (and some younger people) will still give a damn about the OT.

As for calling the SE a smart idea, yeah right, like shitting on great art is a smart idea.

i'll try that sometime and maybe i'll make some money out of it. i'll send you a copy then and you can have a

shitty piece of art in your house. btw, thx c3px. i've always liked watching the PT and then the OT to try and

make the comparissons. its fun to do. the only thing i didn't like about the special editions george did was the

redone jabba on the 2004 dvd versions. the original VHS looked more like Jabba the Hutt. still, it blows me

away to watch the OOT and then the SEOT and see the differences. kinda cool to see what those back in

1977 saw.