logo Sign In

2006 OT DVD: Well today's the day...

Author
Time
 (Edited)

1. Are you getting the set?
2. Are you getting LEGO Star Wars II with it?

My answers:
1. Yes.
2. Yes.

Now it’s your turn…

Author
Time
Nope. Until I see a remastered OOT, I'll greet this with the same enthusiasm that I do all other Lucasfilm products, with the possible exception of Indy 4: "that's nice."

“What Orwell feared were those who would ban books. What Huxley feared was that there would be no reason to ban a book, for there would be no one who wanted to read one.”

Neil Postman, Amusing Ourselves to Death

Author
Time
Originally posted by: ESHBG
1. No
2. No

I thought you'd decided to get them. What changed your mind?
Although, I guess I should also say "1. No, 2. No" since I pre-ordered them June 9, 2006.
Author
Time
1. I didn't really mind the changes in eps 4 & 5, but today, I'm getting the limited edition of "Return of the Jedi" because I can't stand "Jedi Rocks", the removal of Sebastian Shaw, the celebration music at the end and "Weesa Free!!!".

2. No
Author
Time
Originally posted by: calamari
Originally posted by: ESHBG
1. No
2. No

I thought you'd decided to get them. What changed your mind?
Although, I guess I should also say "1. No, 2. No" since I pre-ordered them June 9, 2006.

Well I admitted to going back and forth over the last few weeks in another thread but the last option as of a week or so ago I was on was "No". As of today, I'm still with that option. My main reasons are:

1. With each ad I see and how careful the wording is, I now firmly believe this is one big trick and we will be seeing the OUT again very, very soon. I've given Lucas A LOT of $ over the years and I am not interested in getting screwed over by him yet again....paying almost $45 (best price I found so far) for a shoddy product seems silly. I have a 16X9 TV and I paid a lot of $ for it for a reason, and I expect the products I purchase to take full advantage of what I have.
2. I do not want the SEs AT ALL so that makes this purchase even harder to swallow for me. In a sense, I will be paying $45 for inferior DVDs...hardly seems worth it.

I'm going to rent them and see what I think, especially when I have the screen zoomed in (which is YET ANOTHER problem for me b/c my TV won't allow for component viewing and Zoom at the same time, so I must watch in AV mode to be able to zoom *sigh*). If I really like them I will buy, but I am not holding my breath. I'm sure it will be farily easy for me to get my hands on anamorphic "Custom DVDs" in the coming months, so I will probably just wait for those.
Author
Time
Originally posted by: Zion
How many threads do we need asking people what they're going to do?

By my count, 17. But yeah, this thread could easily be merged with the one I created some time ago:

Poll: So What are You Going to Do?
Author
Time
Too bad I can't actually merge threads. The new software will be here sooner than you think though...

Author
Time
Why not just lock it and redirect everyone?

As for me, I won't be getting the new set, but I am going to pick up Lego Star Wars II. It's kind of funny, on the radio they mentioned how it seemed that Lucas had released a new set of DVDs every year. Considering that the first set came out in 2004 and another set will be coming next year, they were dead on. And I wouldn't put it past him to release another set in '08. What ever happened to wanting to move on from Star Wars?
F Scale score - 3.3333333333333335

You are disciplined but tolerant; a true American.

Pissing off Rob since August 2007.
Author
Time
I didn't think I was going to get them, but I did. I'm going to give my 2004 DVD's minus the bonus material to my parents as a gift.
George Lucas was seduced by the dark side. The OOT ceased to exist in his mind and became the Special Editions...." "They're more maching now than movies. Twisted and evil."
Author
Time
Too bad I can't actually merge threads. The new software will be here sooner than you think though...

You keep saying that .

“What Orwell feared were those who would ban books. What Huxley feared was that there would be no reason to ban a book, for there would be no one who wanted to read one.”

Neil Postman, Amusing Ourselves to Death

Author
Time
No interest in LEGO

No interest in Empire or Jedi DVDs that are EXACTLY the same as my laserdiscs, still playable, and even a worse deal that I have to buy those SE's to get them. Bah.

Totally sold on Star Wars, which is different than my laserdiscs, and I'd buy the entire set of SE's plus Return of the GodAwful Sith just to get a version of Star Wars with the 1977 opening crawl.

Author
Time
1. No
2. No

<span class=“Italics”>MeBeJedi: Sadly, I believe the prequels are beyond repair.
<span class=“Bold”>JediRandy: They’re certainly beyond any repair you’re capable of making.</span></span>

<span class=“Italics”>MeBeJedi: You aren’t one of us.
<span class=“Bold”>Go-Mer-Tonic: I can’t say I find that very disappointing.</span></span>

<span class=“Italics”>JediRandy: I won’t suck as much as a fan edit.</span>

Author
Time
I ordered ANH off Amazon. If I am satisified with the quality, I will order the other 2 movies.

I have no plans to buy Lego Star Wars 2, but my brother plans on getting it. He wanted the Gamecube edition, but I [think I] talked him into getting the PC one instead.
Author
Time
My mom was just going to get me ESB, but when she got to Circuit City and saw the $14.99 price tag she decided to get me Star Wars and ESB. I am going to do some work around the house to pay her back.

Author
Time
Wow, I'm actually getting excited to buy the DVD in about half an hour. I'm gonna pay absurdly high Borders prices so that I can get it on my lunch hour. Probably will save half the difference from the Circuit City price just in gas saved by not diverting to Circuit City on the way home from work, and the other half from the value of my time by not making that diversion.

Anyways, that's what I'm going to tell myself as I purchase the only DVD I have ever bought from Borders, which has the most jacked-up DVD prices I have ever frelling seen!

But I want it in my hot little hands, and I want it NOW.
Author
Time
I'm definately getting lego star wars 2, but still undecided on the OOT. I'll probably stick to my bootlegs for now.
Watch DarthEvil's Who Framed Darth Vader? video on YouTube!

You can also access the entire Horriffic Violence Theater Series from my Channel Page.
Author
Time
I just bought them. I got them from Wal-Mart packaged with the graphic novels, because those looked pretty cool to me. But no, I'm not getting the video game. And, yeah, he will probably turn around and give us something better in about six months. But I really don't give a shit. When deciding whether or not to get these, I figured I had two choices: not buy these and wait to see if maybe we'd get something better, buy it, and not buy any more releases. Or buy these, be satisfied that they're good enough, and never buy any releases again. So by purchasing these, I'm pretty much giving Lucasfilm a parting gift when I tell them to f*** off.

There is no lingerie in space…

C3PX said: Gaffer is like that hot girl in high school that you think you have a chance with even though she is way out of your league because she is sweet and not a stuck up bitch who pretends you don’t exist… then one day you spot her making out with some skinny twerp, only on second glance you realize it is the goth girl who always sits in the back of class; at that moment it dawns on you why she is never seen hanging off the arm of any of the jocks… and you realize, damn, she really is unobtainable after all. Not that that is going to stop you from dreaming… Only in this case, Gaffer is actually a guy.

Author
Time
I purchased them today, and I have to say the quality is equal to the Dr. Gonzo set I have. I guess the only plus is there are no missing scenes, and it is retail. I also got comics with it.

video 7/10
audio 6/10
Author
Time
Gaffer Tape - what are the "graphic novels" like in the Wal-Mart sets? Exact reprints of the Marvel super specials or what? The odd thing is that the Star Wars one shows the cover of Star Wars #1 (which didn't contain the whole of Star Wars) on the box, but the other two show the Super Specials' (which did contain the whole stories) covers. Is this an accurate reflection of what's inside?

AJP, if you think the quality is equal to DrGonzo's set, you need to change your system.
Author
Time
The Star Wars one uses the cover of the first issue, but the actual content extend through the entire movie. Besides that, I assume they're exact reprints (or pretty close). Actually, and I've only opened Star Wars so far, but the Marvel logo and the price that are shown on the box cover are replaced by the Dark Horse Logo, as well as replacing the green Marvel Comics Group bar across the top with Dark Horse Comics. And the Comics Code Authority logo is gone as well.

EDIT: And the barcode is replaced by a Lucas Books logo.

There is no lingerie in space…

C3PX said: Gaffer is like that hot girl in high school that you think you have a chance with even though she is way out of your league because she is sweet and not a stuck up bitch who pretends you don’t exist… then one day you spot her making out with some skinny twerp, only on second glance you realize it is the goth girl who always sits in the back of class; at that moment it dawns on you why she is never seen hanging off the arm of any of the jocks… and you realize, damn, she really is unobtainable after all. Not that that is going to stop you from dreaming… Only in this case, Gaffer is actually a guy.

Author
Time
Thanks, Gaffer. The Wal-Mart were my second choice, but I already have the Dark Horse reprints, so I'm glad I went with the Best Buy tin.
Author
Time
Okay, now that I am reading the reviews and they are all pretty good I don't know what to do...I guess I'll have to sleep on it and decide tomorrow...

*And waiting to rent them may be a bad idea because prices are sure to go up after this week....