logo Sign In

2006 OT DVD: Poll: So What are You Going to Do? — Page 4

Author
Time
I just found out about the "Original Original Trilogy" DVD coming out today while I was at Wal-Mart and saw a promotional poster for them ("Limited Time Only"). I thought I missed out on the promotion but a quick search of the internet and this site confirmed the September 12 release date.

I asked for and received the Special Edition (2004 version) DVD set for Christmas a couple of years ago and to be honest, I didn't mind the changes made to Eps 4 & 5, but I absolutely loathed the hack job done to Return of the Jedi (the Jabba house band now looks like Monsters Inc, Jabba screaming "weesa free!" and Hayden Christensen replacing Sebastian Shaw), so what I'll probably do is buy Ep. 6 this Tuesday and I'll donate my Ep 6 special edition DVD to a library or give it to a friend of mine. I don't feel justified in re-buying eps 4-5.

Of course, if I had known that the "Original Original" was coming out in 2006 I wouldn't have asked for it for Christmas back in '04. I thought it could be possible for Greedy George to release the OOT _eventually_ but I assumed that his ego would hold out for 10 years at least.I'm just surprised that the OOT is coming out on DVD this soon (anamorphic controversy aside). I guess pigs can fly, after all.

As for those of you who still want the anamorphic versions (doesn't affect me, I'm still satisfied with my CRT TV), I think it's obvious that George Lucas wants to milk Star Wars for every possible dollar and that an anamorphic OOT DVD set will probably eventually come out. Perhaps for a 2007 30th anniversary boxed set containing eps 1-6?
Author
Time
I won't be buying the new DVDs. I already own the original set on VHS and quite honestly I find myself watching the SE 100% of the time. I can't even remember when I watched the OOT. Do some of the SE changes irk me? Sure. But I can live with it. If the OOT comes out on next year's set that'll be fine with me. I'll buy the 2007 set so long as they're are all the cut scenes I've been looking for.
Author
Time
Originally posted by: Mielr
Well, I've been suckered into buying nearly every OT video release in the last 15 years, including the SE laserdiscs and the '04 DVDs (and I don't even LIKE the SEs!)

But, there's NO WAY I'm going to buy any $100 boxed set (or whatever it's going to cost) that includes the PTs and another set of the SEs. IF they include new transfers of the OOT, I'll buy it and sell the other discs on eBay, but failing that- that's it, I'm done.

I agree. If it includes a remastered OOT, I'll pay absolutely any price. Otherwise, my answer is the same as it is to everything that LFL releases until I get what I want: "that's nice."

Originally posted by: ESHBG
Originally posted by: Mike O
Yeah, I'm not really sure what they're aiming at with the '07 box set. More SE changes? Some extras? WTF, who's buying that??

Hopefully, nobody, but probably many people.

I don't know, I think even the die hard SW fans who must own everything are getting a little burned out and I don't think it will sell as well as Lucas thinks. With the 09/12 release, I HIGHLY doubt someone could justify owning the same movie 3 times (SE) and 2 times (PT) no matter how much they like SW.

Lucas is screwing himself big time with this Sept. release IMO, and he would've been better off giving the OOT proper treatment and waiting until next year and doing the '07 boxed set. He could've started the marketing now and created A LOT of hype. But alas, his poor business decisions have gotten the best of him yet again...

Well, it seems that anything with the SW logo attached will sell well, but I just think that, apart from a remastered OOT, Lucas doesn't have much left to sell. You just can't except LFL to think that way. Most people didn't like the SEs to begin with, and I doubt that even those who did will be interesed in more changes. As I've stated many times, that would make sense: use all of this stuff to test the waters and then make the 2007 set the ultimate SW set. But Lucas's ego is apparently impossible to contend with, especially with Rick McCallum.

“What Orwell feared were those who would ban books. What Huxley feared was that there would be no reason to ban a book, for there would be no one who wanted to read one.”

Neil Postman, Amusing Ourselves to Death

Author
Time
As for those of you who still want the anamorphic versions (doesn't affect me, I'm still satisfied with my CRT TV), I think it's obvious that George Lucas wants to milk Star Wars for every possible dollar and that an anamorphic OOT DVD set will probably eventually come out. Perhaps for a 2007 30th anniversary boxed set containing eps 1-6?

I wish.

“What Orwell feared were those who would ban books. What Huxley feared was that there would be no reason to ban a book, for there would be no one who wanted to read one.”

Neil Postman, Amusing Ourselves to Death

Author
Time
I have purchased the new DVD release of the OOT and really liked the OOT movies on DVD. I just wish George Lucas had

NOT INCLUDED THE 2004 RELEASE!!! I PAID $28 PER MOVIE!!!!! THAT'S TOO MUCH FOR THREE DISCS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No more buying SW DVDs for me. Happy I am now. Now, watch them I will.
Author
Time
Originally posted by: bbbb
I have purchased the new DVD release of the OOT and really liked the OOT movies on DVD. I just wish George Lucas had

NOT INCLUDED THE 2004 RELEASE!!! I PAID $28 PER MOVIE!!!!! THAT'S TOO MUCH FOR THREE DISCS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No more buying SW DVDs for me. Happy I am now. Now, watch them I will.

Absolutely. Even if GL releases Blu-Ray Discs of these, or remastered or whatever the hell else he wants to do to milk this new found cash cow, I won't be there.

And I'm pissed about the 2004 versions as well. Sell them I would, but my dad and my logical center both say to keep them. That I did. They are all in one DVD case, sitting next to the PT, where they belong. (crap pile.)
Watch DarthEvil's Who Framed Darth Vader? video on YouTube!

You can also access the entire Horriffic Violence Theater Series from my Channel Page.