logo Sign In

2006 OT DVD: Poll: So What are You Going to Do? — Page 2

Author
Time
Originally posted by: calamari
Originally posted by: crazyrabbits
Originally posted by: ESHBG
We are about 2 weeks and some change away, and I was curious as to what people's plans are as of now.

Yes, own the OOT...for the last time...Or, until the 30th Anniversary set comes out or the next inevitable release that incorporates "rare deleted scenes from the Lucasfilm vaults". Yeah, I know numerous people have stated it already, but it's a quick cash grab.

If they come out with a boxed set next year of all 6 movies, you can be sure that it will *NOT* include the OUT, but rather the SE's. They will probably have bonus features discs, but they aren't going to include additional extra discs that they don't have to. IMO, this is really the last opportunity to buy the OUT on DVD. If they ever do it again, it'll probably be HD-DVD or such.

And, even if I'm wrong, and they do include the OUT in 2007, it'll still be the same discs you'd be getting Sept 12. So what's the advantage to waiting? I already own the PT, so that isn't an incentive for me.

Yeah, I really don't think they are going to put a lot of time into another OOT release and/or include it in the '07 boxed set. What could they really do to it, make it anamorphic and 5.1 sound? If they were going to do that they would've done it now IMO.

As far as the argument, "Well they have said 'For a limited time' in the past and always went back on their word!" this is very true. But typically this happens 10+ years down the road, and I really don't feel like waiting that long.

But again, who knows with this crazy company and the 09/12 release could be a way to test the waters to see if they really should put some time into a proper OOT release. It's a damn shame fans have to play such guessing games with the things they love, but more importantly, the very thing that made the company rich! Talk about a screw job and not respecting your meal ticket!

EDIT: And I am not quite sure who exactly is going to buy the '07 boxed set, as many people have these movies a few times over already. Even die hard fans who must own everything aren't that economically challenged! This thing will have to be pretty special to get people to buy into it...
Author
Time
Originally posted by: calamari
Originally posted by: crazyrabbits
We are about 2 weeks and some change away, and I was curious as to what people's plans are as of now.

Yes, own the OOT...for the last time...Or, until the 30th Anniversary set comes out or the next inevitable release that incorporates "rare deleted scenes from the Lucasfilm vaults". Yeah, I know numerous people have stated it already, but it's a quick cash grab.

IMO, this is really the last opportunity to buy the OUT on DVD. If they ever do it again, it'll probably be HD-DVD or such.

And, even if I'm wrong, and they do include the OUT in 2007, it'll still be the same discs you'd be getting Sept 12. So what's the advantage to waiting? I already own the PT, so that isn't an incentive for me.

Well, we'll have to wait and see, won't we? I don't have much faith in Lucasfilm's policy. I bought the Faces set about 11 years ago, and it was "the very last time". The only other Star Wars DVD I bought was the bonus disc from the 2004 release. I'm content with what I have. I'll wait for next year's set.
Author
Time
Yeah, I'm not really sure what they're aiming at with the '07 box set. More SE changes? Some extras? WTF, who's buying that??

Believing in my heart this is the ONLY OT DVD release, I will certainly buy Star Wars, and perhaps even RotJ. I do think there will be an eventual OT release on whichever hi def format wins the war (ahem, since HD DVD has won the first round in picture quality, it's likely the inferior Blu Ray will be the winner ... if the past is any guide to nimrod consumer trends).

But I'm not holding my breath. I don't even plan on going Hi Def display myself till around 2009, when SED sets might start getting affordable. So this will be my Star Wars for the next five years, at least. Heheh, I'd probably watch the movie about 3 times during that period ... and RoTJ only once (which is why I'm debating even buying it).

If the picture quality is any improvement over the laserdiscs, I will be satisfied (but not happy). If the facsimile crawl has "DEATH STAR" on one line and matches the music cue the way it did in '77, I will be very satisfied. If prison-level laser blasts are returned to their '77 impact, I will be ecstatic. And if more subtle sound effects revert to '77 versions, I will be impressed.

Right now, I'm anticipating a personal reaction from "satisfied" -to- "very satisfied," and I'm not counting on either impressed or ecstatic.

As for sending my SE discs back to LFL, that was never my plan. Alas, my original plan is falling apart - - since this DVD release is not generating the excitement for a line-up on September 11 (where I was planning to tactlessly set fire to towering dual stacks of SE discs).

Author
Time
I voted for not buying them until the reviews are in. Not that I really want to buy them, but I guess I'm undecided based on what's going to happen with the Saga Box Set. I'd much rather sink my money into that than this rushed, low budget release.

I also edited the title to differentiate between the two similar threads. With the new software I'll be able to merge threads like these....

My Projects:
[Holiday Special Hybrid DVD v2]
[X0 Project]
[Backstroke of the West DVD]
[ROTS Theatrical DVD]

Author
Time
I sold my 2004 set to buy these. If the Saga Edition manages to have a better treatment of the O-OT than this (which I still doubt), I'll in-turn sell these for the saga set. Otherwise, I'll have my non-degradable O-OT, my license to actually have the X0 project, and all will be well with the world. Otherwise, I'll continue to hold out hope for a properly restored O-OT on Blu-Ray format in about five years. And then I'll sell the 2006 set for THAT.
I am fluent in over six million forms of procrastination.
Author
Time
I'm not voting yet. I actually fall into two categories. I'm waiting to buy until I see reviews, and, if I buy them, I plan on sending the SE discs back. Then I'll move the "bonus material" to the Disc 1 slot and put the Faces transfers that andy_k_250 recently generously sent me in the Disc 2 slot.

There is no lingerie in space…

C3PX said: Gaffer is like that hot girl in high school that you think you have a chance with even though she is way out of your league because she is sweet and not a stuck up bitch who pretends you don’t exist… then one day you spot her making out with some skinny twerp, only on second glance you realize it is the goth girl who always sits in the back of class; at that moment it dawns on you why she is never seen hanging off the arm of any of the jocks… and you realize, damn, she really is unobtainable after all. Not that that is going to stop you from dreaming… Only in this case, Gaffer is actually a guy.

Author
Time
Yeah, I'm not really sure what they're aiming at with the '07 box set. More SE changes? Some extras? WTF, who's buying that??

Hopefully, nobody, but probably many people.

“What Orwell feared were those who would ban books. What Huxley feared was that there would be no reason to ban a book, for there would be no one who wanted to read one.”

Neil Postman, Amusing Ourselves to Death

Author
Time
Originally posted by: Mike O

Hopefully, nobody, but probably many people.

I don't know, I think even the die hard SW fans who must own everything are getting a little burned out and I don't think it will sell as well as Lucas thinks. With the 09/12 release, I HIGHLY doubt someone could justify owning the same movie 3 times (SE) and 2 times (PT) no matter how much they like SW.

Lucas is screwing himself big time with this Sept. release IMO, and he would've been better off giving the OOT proper treatment and waiting until next year and doing the '07 boxed set. He could've started the marketing now and created A LOT of hype. But alas, his poor business decisions have gotten the best of him yet again...
Author
Time
Well, I've been suckered into buying nearly every OT video release in the last 15 years, including the SE laserdiscs and the '04 DVDs (and I don't even LIKE the SEs!)

But, there's NO WAY I'm going to buy any $100 boxed set (or whatever it's going to cost) that includes the PTs and another set of the SEs. IF they include new transfers of the OOT, I'll buy it and sell the other discs on eBay, but failing that- that's it, I'm done.

Author
Time
It could have been worse - they could have included the September discs only in the anniversary set, so you'd have to buy not only the SE, but the PT as well, to get them.
Author
Time
Which would have been worth it to me, if the O.T. were treated to a top-quality release.

Failing that, the '07 box will be just about the first Star Wars release I haven't purchased. I've got 3 frelling versions of Star Wars on laserdisc alone, probably another 3 on VHS, and then the SE set on DVD and even two of the frelling prequels. Sheesh. September 12 is where I finish ... until better quality releases of the unaltered O.T.

I have ZERO interest in either the evolving Special Editions or the pathetic prequels. But anytime Lucas cares to release Star Wars in ever increasing quality baby steps, he's got my money.

Author
Time
And I am wondering this too: even if Georgie Boy does inlcude an anamorphic version of the OOT in the supposed '07 set, will that STILL be enough to get people to buy it? How many people are going to say, "Eh, the one I have from 09/12 is good enough and I definitely have no need for the other crap." On the eve of a new format becoming the leader and studios taking off with it, I doubt people will even bother.

I'm starting to think the '07 set won't be that spectacular after all, rather, it will be geared towards the people who are new to SW or don't have a complete collection yet. I loved the Matrix trilogy but I already had all 3 movies so I skipped the deluxe set when it came out; I know many that did the same and I am sure SW will be no different.
Author
Time
Yeah, I'll be that guy. I may want an anamorphic transfer, but I won't be purchasing a mega boxset for it.

C3PX said: Gaffer is like that hot girl in high school that you think you have a chance with even though she is way out of your league because she is sweet and not a stuck up bitch who pretends you don’t exist… then one day you spot her making out with some skinny twerp, only on second glance you realize it is the goth girl who always sits in the back of class; at that moment it dawns on you why she is never seen hanging off the arm of any of the jocks… and you realize, damn, she really is unobtainable after all. Not that that is going to stop you from dreaming… Only in this case, Gaffer is actually a guy.

Author
Time
I voted to wait until the reviews are in...but it will take some very major problem to get me to not buy them. I just want them to do my own preservation project for myself. I want to get them and get that over with. I'm sick of this issue. I'm sick of Star Wars. I'm sick of George Lucas.

I just want to OOT in any condition at this point and I will be happy. After that, I'm jumping ship totally on SW. It used to be fun and it isn't anymore.
Author
Time
Originally posted by: Cable-X1
I voted to wait until the reviews are in...but it will take some very major problem to get me to not buy them. I just want them to do my own preservation project for myself. I want to get them and get that over with. I'm sick of this issue. I'm sick of Star Wars. I'm sick of George Lucas.

I just want to OOT in any condition at this point and I will be happy. After that, I'm jumping ship totally on SW. It used to be fun and it isn't anymore.

Pretty much where I am at now too with each passing day. Wow, 'tis very sad when you think about it and I would've never guessed years ago that some of my favorite childhood movies (and all time favorite movies in general) would end up being treated like this...

Author
Time
I'd been feeling that way too until I got my laserdisc rips the other day. Now suddenly Star Wars is fun again, and I don't think anymore about the crap that Lucas has pulled all this time.

Author
Time
Not to put anyone down .... but I'm glad my love of Star Wars and consideration of it to be fun are not dependent upon the modern-day actions or inactions of George Lucas or his company.

My memories surrounding the movies and the dozens of times I've seen them in theaters, the insane line-ups for the openings of the movies and all the fun with friends at those, the playing with the toys and all the fun I had with friends with them, the little bit of collecting over the years, the goofy fun I still have from time-to-time with Star Wars buddies, and my genuine love of the movie Star Wars as one of the best films ever made .... all these sustain my love for Star Wars and will keep it fun for me till the end of my days.

Author
Time
I will not be buying the September Discs and have voted accordingly.

Luca$hFilm knows the OOT will sell or they wouldn't be releasing it at all. No company, including Luca$hFilm, would release anything that they weren't pretty damn sure they could make money on. Further, Luca$hFilm have demonstrated that they will continually repackage and update their products in order to make more money from the same material. Multiple-disc editions containing original material as well as revised material are selling well at the moment (Alien Quadrilogy, Blade Runner: Ultimate Edition), which will not have escaped the attention of Luca$hFilm or 20th Century Fox. There will be further releases of the OOT on DVD and I refuse to settle for another transfer from the 1993 remasters. I already have letterbox, stereo editions on PAL VHS and have no need for any more.
Don't you call me a mindless philosopher...!
Author
Time
Originally posted by: auraloffalwaffle
There will be further releases of the OOT on DVD and I refuse to settle for another transfer from the 1993 remasters. I already have letterbox, stereo editions on PAL VHS and have no need for any more.

Yeah, definitely correct. It will be re-released eventually and I'm sure that at that time GL will think it was all his idea. I'm going to wait as well.

"Now all Lucas has to do is make a cgi version of himself.  It will be better than the original and fit his original vision." - skyjedi2005

Author
Time
Originally posted by: Obi Jeewhyen

Not to put anyone down .... but I'm glad my love of Star Wars and consideration of it to be fun are not dependent upon the modern-day actions or inactions of George Lucas or his company.

My memories surrounding the movies and the dozens of times I've seen them in theaters.........and my genuine love of the movie Star Wars as one of the best films ever made .... all these sustain my love for Star Wars and will keep it fun for me till the end of my days.

Very well put, man. I feel the same way.

The movie Star Wars, the adventure, the emotion, the sense of awe, the story, the event - they all happened first - because 1977 happened first - NOTHING that Lucas has done the last two decades, or anything he ever does from now on - technology, editing, lying, etc - can interfere with that. Where Star Wars is concerned, I've not seen anything (versions, edits) that didn't take place in 1977.

Events that happen now cannot alter events that happened in 1977.

Lucas doesn't get to decide what Star Wars is for me.

Forum Moderator
Author
Time
Originally posted by: Anchorhead

My memories surrounding the movies and the dozens of times I've seen them in theaters.........and my genuine love of the movie Star Wars as one of the best films ever made .... all these sustain my love for Star Wars and will keep it fun for me till the end of my days.

Very well put, man. I feel the same way.

The movie Star Wars, the adventure, the emotion, the sense of awe, the story, the event - they all happened first - because 1977 happened first - NOTHING that Lucas has done the last two decades, or anything he ever does from now on - technology, editing, lying, etc - can interfere with that. Where Star Wars is concerned, I've not seen anything (versions, edits) that didn't take place in 1977.

Events that happen now cannot alter events that happened in 1977.

Lucas doesn't get to decide what Star Wars is for me.

You guys are very lucky you can be like that! But for me, everytime I watch the OUT now and no matter how hard I try, I get flashes in my mind of the silly changes, the alterations in the story, Jar Jar, Anakin building C3PO, Chewbacca and Yoda being friends....

Author
Time
It had been hard for me to block those out lately. Maybe I do sound different from you guys. Even though I owned the Faces set, getting these LD rips just took me back. All the special edition crap and the prequel crap just melted away, and I haven't thought about Anakin building 3PO or Chewbacca knowing Yoda at all. It all seems like a distant memory or "something out of a dream. I don't know, maybe I'm just going crazy."

Author
Time
I'm trying very hard to forget the SE and prequels but it's tough. Coming here every day probably doesn't help!

War does not make one great.

Author
Time
But for me, everytime I watch the OUT now and no matter how hard I try, I get flashes in my mind of the silly changes, the alterations in the story, Jar Jar, Anakin building C3PO, Chewbacca and Yoda being friends....

These things never enter into my head at all. Lucas has no power over me.

And I'll go you one better .... when I watch Star Wars, Princess Leia is not even Luke's sister, and Darth Vader is not his daddy.

Author
Time

.... when I watch Star Wars, Princess Leia is not even Luke's sister, and Darth Vader is not his daddy.

That's because none of them are related to each other.

Some of us were there. We know the truth. We've read the magazine interviews where Lucas said he thought it up years afterwards. He can change the films and lie about it all he wants, but he can't go back and alter the printed words. Too many people remember. Too many people think for themselves.

Forum Moderator