logo Sign In

Info: the 2005 E.T. DVD...

Author
Time
 (Edited)

They have apparently dropped the original version for this new disc. If you haven’t bought the old set yet, beware the walkie-talkies!

Forum Moderator

Where were you in '77?

Author
Time
I bought the gift set thing, love it.
Author
Time
WTF- when will it end? It was nice to have both versions on the recent 2-disc set (original, and extra crispy), but what is the point of this single-disc release? (other than to needlessly rewrite cinematic history for a beloved modern classic, Lucas-style?) This is what lands DVD's on ebay for jacked-up prices.

And why are so many 2-disc DVD's rereleased as 1-disc? The most confusing has been Spaceballs. It started as a single disc w/minimal features. It's finally released as a double-disc set, and simultaneously, the previous single disc was inexplicably replaced with yet another single disc version, with even less features than the first one. Not to mention the growing number of Independence Day rereleases. Is someone getting paid to make all of these pointless decisions?
We don't have enough road to get up to 88.
Author
Time
Originally posted by: booah
WTF- when will it end? It was nice to have both versions on the recent 2-disc set (original, and extra crispy), but what is the point of this single-disc release? (other than to needlessly rewrite cinematic history for a beloved modern classic, Lucas-style?) This is what lands DVD's on ebay for jacked-up prices.

And why are so many 2-disc DVD's rereleased as 1-disc? The most confusing has been Spaceballs. It started as a single disc w/minimal features. It's finally released as a double-disc set, and simultaneously, the previous single disc was inexplicably replaced with yet another single disc version, with even less features than the first one. Not to mention the growing number of Independence Day rereleases. Is someone getting paid to make all of these pointless decisions?

I don't know what you're talking about but there's only 2 different versions of Spaceballs.
Author
Time
"I bought the gift set thing, love it."

I was under the impression that when they swapped the discs, the gift set no longer came with the original version.

I bought the regular 2-disc set when I found out it had the original version.

<span class=“Italics”>MeBeJedi: Sadly, I believe the prequels are beyond repair.
<span class=“Bold”>JediRandy: They’re certainly beyond any repair you’re capable of making.</span></span>

<span class=“Italics”>MeBeJedi: You aren’t one of us.
<span class=“Bold”>Go-Mer-Tonic: I can’t say I find that very disappointing.</span></span>

<span class=“Italics”>JediRandy: I won’t suck as much as a fan edit.</span>

Author
Time
I bought the big gift set when it first came out a couple years ago, and it has both the orginal and new version, plus the soundtrack cd and I think one other disc. Right now it is at friends house so dont remember if it is a 3 disc set or 4.
Author
Time

I agree regarding the Bonus features- isnt the word Bonus supposed to be exactly that - a Bonus, and not something you pay extra for?
Author
Time
Originally posted by: NeilB
I agree regarding the Bonus features- isnt the word Bonus supposed to be exactly that - a Bonus, and not something you pay extra for?

They're typically referred to as "Special" features now, not "bonus" anymore.

I used to be very active on this forum. I’m not really anymore. Sometimes, people still want to get in touch with me about something, and that is great! If that describes you, please email me at [my username]ATgmailDOTcom.

Hi everybody. You’re all awesome. Keep up the good work.

Author
Time
I know - thats the problem!
Author
Time
Originally posted by: digitalfreaknyc

I don't know what you're talking about but there's only 2 different versions of Spaceballs.

There's three. I saw 'em with my own eyes. I have the original 1-disc, with an 8 min. featurette on it. After the 2-Disc edition came out, I was at Wal-Mart, and there was a 1-disc Spaceballs there with a different cover than the previous one. So I looked at the back, and lo and behold, no featurette. Different new 1-disc with even less content than before. Same with Silence of the Lambs and Hannibal-- both had loaded Special Editions, and then were rereleased in sad, pale feature-less versions.

I don't get it. Doesn't it cost money to repackage and tweak this stuff? Why put out another 1-disc version of a pre-exisiting release with very minimal features anyway, when you just put the 2-disc one out?

They sometimes still use the word "Bonus". And they say "Special Features" even though sometimes the only features are things like Chapter Selection and Subtitles. Marketing genius. And I think I've seen a "Special Exclusive Limited Collector's Director's Numbered Extreme Definitive Secret" Edition of something or other.

They are suposedly ment for the 'casual fan' who will pay £10 for the movie but cant be assed with paying an extra £5 for the second disk.

Yeah, good ol' "casual fans", who still buy pan & scan. Meanwhile, many of the 2-disc editions are actually pretty cheap these days.
Author
Time
My theory on this is so the extra editions will fall off the radar of the consumer so when HD-DVD, Blue-Ray hits, they'll release the one disc with all the goodies on it. Consumers will think "hey, that new format offers a whole slew of goodies, I should upgrade".
Author
Time
Very good Theory, sure you dont work for a dvd company. All about making the BIG $$$$
Author
Time
There does seem to be a trend going on. I noticed Ridley Scott's Legend is a single disc now too. Just the longer European cut.
Forum Moderator

Where were you in '77?

Author
Time
Originally posted by: SilverWook
There does seem to be a trend going on. I noticed Ridley Scott's Legend is a single disc now too. Just the longer European cut.

And Anchor Bay seems to solely exist to put out multiple, various disc editions of movies. Evil Dead, Supergirl, Halloween, etc.
Author
Time
Originally posted by: SilverWook

actually that's the "director's cut" which was originally created for a test screening but never released commercially till the dvd. the euro cut was only a couple of minutes longer than the u.s. cut. prolly easy to get the director's & euro cut mixed up though, since they both use the jerry goldsmith score (while the u.s. cut is the only one with tangerine dream).

Originally posted by: booahAnd Anchor Bay seems to solely exist to put out multiple, various disc editions of movies. Evil Dead, Supergirl, Halloween, etc.

anchor bay has a very respectable history of restoring & releasing lots of obscure old movies, with great transfer quality (relatively, for such aging films) and bonus features. it's just that a company can't stay afloat on werner herzog & alec guinness box-sets, no matter how good the movies are. those evil dead discs are what's commonly referred to as a "cash cow" -- the evil dead profits pay for the cost of producing the other stuff.
Author
Time
Anchor Bay often does it better than the studios do. Hard to believe now they originally started out as one of those companies releasing bargain bin VHS movies recorded in SLP.
Forum Moderator

Where were you in '77?

Author
Time
The Documentary from the laserdisc was cut down from 2 hours to 20 mins for the DVD! Anyone have the laserdisc of this and fancy doing a conversion?

Author
Time
Originally posted by: Cassius76
The Documentary from the laserdisc was cut down from 2 hours to 20 mins for the DVD! Anyone have the laserdisc of this and fancy doing a conversion?

Check my thread.

I'm doing it.
Author
Time
I rented this new version of ET a few weeks ago and was surprised by it. I originally thought it would simply be the the first disc from the 2-disc set they released a while back, but it actually has different content (all of which was included in the gift set). This disc features the special edition version, John William's live score track, the reunion featurette, the behind the scenes music featurette with John Williams (not included on the 2-disc set), the space tour, still galleries, and quite ironically, the original 1982 theatrical trailer (also not included on the 2-disc set).

And digitalfreaknyc, I'm be looking forward to your ET laserdisc documentary disc.
Author
Time
Yeah, I know. I said "all of which was included in the gift set" Just thought I would post what the difference was between this single disc release and the others ones.
Author
Time
Originally posted by: digitalfreaknyc

There's three. I saw 'em with my own eyes. I have the original 1-disc, with an 8 min. featurette on it. After the 2-Disc edition came out, I was at Wal-Mart, and there was a 1-disc Spaceballs there with a different cover than the previous one. So I looked at the back, and lo and behold, no featurette. Different new 1-disc with even less content than before. Same with Silence of the Lambs and Hannibal-- both had loaded Special Editions, and then were rereleased in sad, pale feature-less versions.

I don't get it. Doesn't it cost money to repackage and tweak this stuff? Why put out another 1-disc version of a pre-exisiting release with very minimal features anyway, when you just put the 2-disc one out?

They sometimes still use the word "Bonus". And they say "Special Features" even though sometimes the only features are things like Chapter Selection and Subtitles. Marketing genius. And I think I've seen a "Special Exclusive Limited Collector's Director's Numbered Extreme Definitive Secret" Edition of something or other.

What probably happened is this:

The factory where the discs were pressed made, I dont know, for example lets just say 50,000 copies. Once those 50,000 copies are sold out...if they decide to make another shipment...they go back to make a new set, but in order to cut costs/time, they release it with less features.

I dont know...thats the nest thign I can think of.

And yes, I think its stupid.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v167/bgiffen/bigbluerig.jpg
Author
Time
Originally posted by: 3RA1N1AC

Originally posted by: booahAnd Anchor Bay seems to solely exist to put out multiple, various disc editions of movies. Evil Dead, Supergirl, Halloween, etc.

anchor bay has a very respectable history of restoring & releasing lots of obscure old movies, with great transfer quality (relatively, for such aging films) and bonus features. it's just that a company can't stay afloat on werner herzog & alec guinness box-sets, no matter how good the movies are. those evil dead discs are what's commonly referred to as a "cash cow" -- the evil dead profits pay for the cost of producing the other stuff.

Except for the Manhunter 2 disc set. They really screwed that one up.