logo Sign In

2004 box set changes — Page 3

Author
Time
Shhh... you'll make Sheba blush.
"You fell victim to one of the classic blunders, the most famous of which is 'Never get involved in a land war in Asia'."
--Vizzini (Wallace Shawn), The Princess Bride
-------------------------
Kevin A
Webmaster/Primary Cynic
kapgar.typepad.com
kapgar.com
Author
Time

Originally posted by: Bossk
Sheba, loved the "Part of Me Died Last Night" entry on your blog. Nope, not too dramatic at all. Part of me dies every time I hear a new change being announced for the DVD release of the OT in September. So I know the feeling. I've been a fan since the toys first hit pegs back in '77 and have seen them all in theaters (God only knows how many times).

A woman who truly appreciates Star Wars... I won't ask you to marry me, but can I, at the very least, get you to hang out with my wife and school her on the finer points of SW fandom?

Please?

So Bossk, are you saying that when I get married, I should make sure I'm marrying a woman who likes Star Wars? How much easier would that make life?

My Blog
Currently Reading: Shatterpoint, by Matthew Stover
Unrepentent Nader Voter
Author
Time
Well, I am to be married march 26th next spring and my fiancee doesn't have the same appreciation, she likes watching movies and doesn't hate seeing star wars, but doesn't get what it meant to my generation. It wasn't just a sci-fi movie, it was one of the first amazing movie experiences, it was pop-culture, toys, lunchboxes, it was quite simply...GREAT and PURE and now GL has perverted that to no end. It's like seeing a good friend leave you. Or a girl you love breakup with you. It is, as you said, like a part of you dying. Because it is a part of us. It was a huge part of my formative years and has therefore shaped somewhat who I am. While, my proposal is not true, my appreciation for a woman with a strong sense of what's wrong with something we love is most certainly there. Thanks for posting here.
16 years I wait and this is what I get???
Author
Time

Originally posted by: Galahad_Skywalker
So Bossk, are you saying that when I get married, I should make sure I'm marrying a woman who likes Star Wars? How much easier would that make life?

Yes, it does make life a bit easier. My wife doesn't like Star Wars. So, you know that there won't be any time spent with the two of us watching them together. So, the only time is when we're not both together but I spend a lot of that time watching other movies I've rented that I know she doesn't want to see. For example, tonight I'll be watching Paycheck. I can honestly say that only once have I watched an entire SW movie straight through at home since we've been married. Sad, but true.

I don't love her any less for it, don't get me wrong. And I will get her to watch them all sometime before we both die. May the Force be with me in my endeavor.
"You fell victim to one of the classic blunders, the most famous of which is 'Never get involved in a land war in Asia'."
Kevin A
Webmaster/Primary Cynic
kapgar.typepad.com
kapgar.com
Author
Time
Welcome Sheba! I first saw your blog site a while back when someone else (I don't remember who, Erik maybe?) posted their site about why he hates the new Star Wars movies. I was hoping to find another link to your site. I love what you have to say. Welcome and hope to see more of you.
Keeping The Star Wars Hoiliday Special alive. Once person at a time. Stir, stir, whip, whip, stir, beat, beat.
Author
Time

Originally posted by: Bossk

Originally posted by: Galahad_Skywalker

Yes, it does make life a bit easier. My wife doesn't like Star Wars. So, you know that there won't be any time spent with the two of us watching them together. So, the only time is when we're not both together but I spend a lot of that time watching other movies I've rented that I know she doesn't want to see. For example, tonight I'll be watching Paycheck. I can honestly say that only once have I watched an entire SW movie straight through at home since we've been married. Sad, but true.

I don't love her any less for it, don't get me wrong. And I will get her to watch them all sometime before we both die. May the Force be with me in my endeavor.

God Bossk rough times. Heres my advice. When you have kids makem love Star Wars young. Worked on me.
Author
Time
Yeah, Erich disappeared one day, not sure what happened. (I need to take down that link. )

All this adulation for my blog makes me want to post to it more often. And I'm still working on the Gandalf/Yoda thing. Plus, I think they'll be something on how the Yoda/Dooku fight itself violates some of the most basic rules of mastery and battle. May be a little dry.

Really, are women who appreciate SW that rare?
DarthSheba.com - just your average unassuming Sith chick.
Author
Time
Yes, sci-fi is just more a boys/man's domain for some reason just like video games (except mario stuff). Women grown on past dates when I mention Star Wars, star Trek, or some new sci-fi movie. Now romantic comedies, sex in the city and Friends that's a whole other story.
16 years I wait and this is what I get???
Author
Time

Reason #25
Bustin' on Artoo
There's this one scene where Padme and Anakin are walking on Naboo and she says she's a little nervous and he confesses to also being nervous since this is his first assignment by himself. "Don't worry," Padme says. "We have Artoo with us." Then they both laugh about how ridiculous a concept it is that Artoo could be at all useful. Artoo beeps and if Threepio were there to translate it would probably be something along the lines of "Fuck you both."

LOL
also had to say this was one of my faves too...
haha
looking forward to more Darth Sheba!!

im glad i've found a girl who can still after 3 years appreciate my Star Wars obsession...
i've already watched the trilogy 3 times with her and not only has she payed attention and remembered aliens names.. (lol) but she's also been picking up on things that i figured she would be totally lost on...
like asking about the whole backstory about Leia and Luke being seperated at birth and stuff like that...

i have already began to turn her to the darkside...
muhahahaha
"Never. I'll never turn to the darkside. You've failed your highness. I am a jedi, like my father before me."
Author
Time
My best friend is a girl and she is totally into Star Wars. For a while there we weren't speaking. Largely due to the fact that I showed her the Holiday Special. I guess the psychological trauma was just too much for her. She hasn't been big on the PT. We both saw TPM and AOTC twice together. The one thing she has always said to me is that she is grateful that I told her about the immaculate conception before she saw TPM. In my own twisted fashion, I kind of wish that I hadn't told her. It would have been fun to see her reaction once that popped up on screen. LOL!
Keeping The Star Wars Hoiliday Special alive. Once person at a time. Stir, stir, whip, whip, stir, beat, beat.
Author
Time

Originally posted by: R2
My best friend is a girl and she is totally into Star Wars. For a while there we weren't speaking. Largely due to the fact that I showed her the Holiday Special. I guess the psychological trauma was just too much for her. She hasn't been big on the PT. We both saw TPM and AOTC twice together. The one thing she has always said to me is that she is grateful that I told her about the immaculate conception before she saw TPM. In my own twisted fashion, I kind of wish that I hadn't told her. It would have been fun to see her reaction once that popped up on screen. LOL!

I wonder how many friendships the Holiday Special has destroyed?

I for one actually enjoyed it...in the perverse way one can enjoy corny television. Wasn't great, but provided plenty of laughs, since I went in wanting very little out of it. Definitely a holiday tradition from now on, putting in my bootleg DVD of the special, and translating what the wookies are saying, and making fun of the whole thing. The key to it is keeping good humor while watching it.
My Blog
Currently Reading: Shatterpoint, by Matthew Stover
Unrepentent Nader Voter
Author
Time

Originally posted by: HotRod
Oh man, I've just been reading your reasons why Episode 2 suck during my lunch, and I nearly chocked on this...

Reason #25
Bustin' on Artoo
There's this one scene where Padme and Anakin are walking on Naboo and she says she's a little nervous and he confesses to also being nervous since this is his first assignment by himself. "Don't worry," Padme says. "We have Artoo with us." Then they both laugh about how ridiculous a concept it is that Artoo could be at all useful. Artoo beeps and if Threepio were there to translate it would probably be something along the lines of "Fuck you both."

Thats funny shit man!

Agreed thats really funny and probably true.
Author
Time
Ok let me ask you all something!

If they did decide to release the OV of SW on DVD, would you:

a) Like the version we saw at the cinema, matt lines, boxes around ships..etc?

or

b) Have the OV but with the effects cleaned up. ie, no matt lines, no boxes etc?

Still the original version, but just cleaned up like the 2004 DVD. No extra shit 'an all.

Personally I would prefer b. The OV but all cleaned up, looking good as new, so to speak!

http://www.facebook.com/DirtyWookie

Author
Time

Originally posted by: HotRod
Ok let me ask you all something!

If they did decide to release the OV of SW on DVD, would you:

a) Like the version we saw at the cinema, matt lines, boxes around ships..etc?

or

b) Have the OV but with the effects cleaned up. ie, no matt lines, no boxes etc?

Still the original version, but just cleaned up like the 2004 DVD. No extra shit 'an all.

Personally I would prefer b. The OV but all cleaned up, looking good as new, so to speak!

Honestly, I wouldn't care which it was so long as it was a version without all the new shit. While I like the "charm" of the matte lines and whatnot since that was what I grew up with, I would probably prefer it. But I know that would never fly with Lucas, et al, at ILM. So, if he wants to clean that stuff up, that's fine. Just don't add stuff.
Kevin A
Webmaster/Primary Cynic
kapgar.typepad.com
kapgar.com
Author
Time
I'd prefer the cleaned up versions. I never had a problem with those kind of fixes. It's the other stuff that I don't care for.
Author
Time
That's what the SE SHOULD HAVE been. Just fixing little technical problems.
And I mean only problems. Don't replace perfectly good effects with CGI for no reason.

And don't change the plot, or storyline at all.

But the SE did almost the complete opposite of that.

My stance on revising fan edits.

Author
Time
im with Bossk...
i wouldnt really care...

it would be nice to have the original version that i grew up with... but to see Star Wars all cleaned up would be something to see as well...
hrm...

i would like a cleaned up version i guess but if we didnt get it i wouldnt complain...
"Never. I'll never turn to the darkside. You've failed your highness. I am a jedi, like my father before me."
Author
Time

Originally posted by: Zombie Chewbacca
Anyone else think film alteration is a lot like plastic surgery? The changes don't exactly improve anything save a quick boost of self-esteem. Oh, and it's highly addictive.

Funny that you posted this. Here's a post I made at the AV Science forums just last night:

"Lucas's repeated edits to the trilogy are like Michael Jackson's attempts to fix his bad plastic surgery with even more bad plastic surgery.

If only we could transport both men back in time and show them nothing was really wrong with the original in the first place."
Forum Administrator

MTFBWY…A

Author
Time

Originally posted by: Jay

Originally posted by: Zombie Chewbacca
Anyone else think film alteration is a lot like plastic surgery? The changes don't exactly improve anything save a quick boost of self-esteem. Oh, and it's highly addictive.

Funny that you posted this. Here's a post I made at the AV Science forums just last night:

"Lucas's repeated edits to the trilogy are like Michael Jackson's attempts to fix his bad plastic surgery with even more bad plastic surgery.

If only we could transport both men back in time and show them nothing was really wrong with the original in the first place."

lol thats gold!
Author
Time
LOL
thats great