logo Sign In

1997 & 2000 VHS Boxset Differences?

Author
Time
I was just wondering what is the diference between the 1997 & 2000 VHS boxsets?

Author
Time
The packaging, I believe. My best friend has the 2000 box, but never openned it.
"I am altering the movies. Pray I don't alter them any further." -Darth Lucas
Author
Time
Probably the label on the tape, too? IIRC, by 2000 they had stopped referring to it as the "Special Edition" and started using the formulation STAR WARS -- EPISODE #: TITLE.
"It's the stoned movie you don't have to be stoned for." -- Tom Shales on Star Wars
Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived.
Author
Time
http://members.aol.com/coddlers/ebay/starwarstrilogytapes2 http://members.aol.com/coddlers/ebay/starwarstrilogytapes1

http://imagehost.vendio.com/bin/imageserver.x/00000000/psylocke/vhs_sw_box_a.jpg
1995 (I love how the main title is "Star Wars" while "a new hope" is tiny and out of the way.

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/P/B00021TLDO.01-A2LWKZGGMBGN21._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00004XPP0.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

And I own all of them, except the last one. But I also own, the pre-1995 Laserdiscs, and a bootleg copy on DVD.
Author
Time
I have the the 1982 & the 2000 boxset. I was just wondering was if there were any audio or picture quality differences between the 1997 & 2000 boxsets because I do not own the 1997 boxset.

Author
Time
I own the 1982 and 1995 sets, as well as two different bootleg copies on DVD.

*mumbles*yeah, and I've also got the 2004 DVDs too.....

But hey, at least I only own one SE incarnation! I don't even have the '97 versions!

Oh wait, I have Boba Feta/ Dark_Jedi's LD transfers of those. Never mind.

http://i.imgur.com/7N84TM8.jpg

Author
Time
Wait. How could there possibly be a 1982 boxset that includes Return of the Jedi?

There is no lingerie in space…

C3PX said: Gaffer is like that hot girl in high school that you think you have a chance with even though she is way out of your league because she is sweet and not a stuck up bitch who pretends you don’t exist… then one day you spot her making out with some skinny twerp, only on second glance you realize it is the goth girl who always sits in the back of class; at that moment it dawns on you why she is never seen hanging off the arm of any of the jocks… and you realize, damn, she really is unobtainable after all. Not that that is going to stop you from dreaming… Only in this case, Gaffer is actually a guy.

Author
Time
I think it is the '85 box, my mistake.

Author
Time
I was beginning to think that maybe it was like Kenner's vouchers for the toys back in '77. You had to buy the boxset with only two movies in it, and then, once ROTJ was released on home video, it would be shipped to you. ^_~

There is no lingerie in space…

C3PX said: Gaffer is like that hot girl in high school that you think you have a chance with even though she is way out of your league because she is sweet and not a stuck up bitch who pretends you don’t exist… then one day you spot her making out with some skinny twerp, only on second glance you realize it is the goth girl who always sits in the back of class; at that moment it dawns on you why she is never seen hanging off the arm of any of the jocks… and you realize, damn, she really is unobtainable after all. Not that that is going to stop you from dreaming… Only in this case, Gaffer is actually a guy.

Author
Time
I unfortunately have wasted my money on all those VHS sets exept for the 2000s.
I had the originals, then the THX faces set was released and I got them for Christmas one year. The the special editions came out and I got them viewing them more as an alternative version of them. I liked the idea of more stuff in the film. I thought it was really cool back then, but I still had my other versions that I liked more.

Before the days of the TR47 transfer I bought the VCD which has the same covers as the 2000 VHS release. The VCDs were official but made for asian audiences since it was such a popular formatte in asia, so they are PAL. At the time I thought them to be the best I could get since Lucas said he would not put them on DVD until after Episode III was on out, of course he changed his mind.

So if the VHS tapes of that release are just like the VCD release the only new thing on them is a sort of sneak peak for Episode II. It was some interviews with the actors who played Owen and Beru Lars, and with some of the behind the scenes people who talked about the process of finding young actors to fit the roles of Luke's aunt and uncle. On the VCDs this is on the A New Hope disc before the feature, so I imagine it is the same on the VHS.

"Every time Warb sighs, an angel falls into a vat of mapel syrup." - Gaffer Tape

Author
Time
That 1985 box set is the the only versions of SW I ever watched until i saw each in the theater in 97 and then in 04. Yes, I have the 04 DVDs but they were a gift...can't complain about a gift meant in good intentions.

It must have been 1993 or 1994, when I was about 6, when my dad walked downstairs and gave me this kinda worn out box set of movies i'd never heard of. He just kinda told me to watch them, like he knew I was gonna love them or something. So he popped one in, turned off the lights, went back up stairs....and my life was changed (at 6, that's really all it takes in a way).

I still have that box set put away to keep me from completely wearing them out (they are already not so good looking) and use my LD transfer DVD's. Oh the memories.

Hey look, a bear!

Author
Time
I have all those sets. I also have all 3 films on seperate VHSs (i.e not box set) from '95 (UK editions) and I am a proud owner of the Executor Box Set (limited to 20,000 and also from 95). I am also ashamed to admit I own the 2004 DVDs.

So I think Lucasfilm has had enough of my money, thank you very much.

War does not make one great.

Author
Time
Originally posted by: Gaffer Tape
Wait. How could there possibly be a 1982 boxset that includes Return of the Jedi?
TIME TRAVEL!!

he he he

I didn't even think of that. On the box it make some comment about "15 years ago I set out, blah blah blah" and did some math. I guess it was like an '85 box set or something.

Originally posted by: JarHead413
I still have that box set put away to keep me from completely wearing them out (they are already not so good looking) and use my LD transfer DVD's. Oh the memories.

My aunt wanted to watch ANH for the hell of it and put in that tape version instead of my Faces set. Holy hell was that image crappy. Not only was it pan and scan, but there were water marks on the film. WATER MARKS!! It was all washed out and graining. God it was horrible. I thought my VCR was going to vomit up little bits of Star Wars chunks at any moment it was so bad.

And I did watch A LOT of the SE box set as a young teeny. I saw in the the theaters and just went crazy. But even as a 15 year old, I knew that something wasn't right about the alterations. Such as the Luke line "You're lucky you don't taste very good." Where was it? I liked how cleaned up it looked and the "special footage" added, but something was missing.
Even my little brother noticed, and one day (back in 2002 when he was now 15) we wanted to watch ESB and he said "Let's watch the original version. Put in the laserdisc." I wanted to kiss him. Not in the way that Leia kissed her brother, but there you go.