logo Sign In

1997 VHS Trilogy Star Wars film not colored

Author
Time

When the box set came out I got a copy and the Star Wars movie wasn’t colored when I watched it.
I’ve been looking for others out there and have found none to date.
Does anyone know if there are more of these movies out there?

Author
Time

I’m from Canada so there is no reason for the movie to play black and white.
Both Empire and Return of played fine in same VCR.

Author
Time

FOX VHS titles are notorious for copy protection that freaks out on certain types of playback equipment or hookups. Are you playing on a VHS/DVD combo, or passing the signal through some other device before it gets to the monitor?

Forum Moderator

Where were you in '77?

Author
Time

SilverWook said:

FOX VHS titles are notorious for copy protection that freaks out on certain types of playback equipment or hookups. Are you playing on a VHS/DVD combo, or passing the signal through some other device before it gets to the monitor?

Author
Time

I played the movie once back in 1997 on a old VHS player. When I realized the error I put the movie away and played the other 2 movies on same VHS player and they played in color.

Author
Time

Sounds like maybe you got a bad copy where the color signal conked out on it’s way to the recorders. Tapes were mass duplicated and I doubt every tape was quality checked before being shipped out. I once even got a movie that was not the one on the box or label!

Forum Moderator

Where were you in '77?

Author
Time

SilverWook said:

Sounds like maybe you got a bad copy where the color signal conked out on it’s way to the recorders. Tapes were mass duplicated and I doubt every tape was quality checked before being shipped out. I once even got a movie that was not the one on the box or label!

O, so you’re the guy that bought that snuff tape I labeled as the three hour cut of Dune. Sorry about that. The prank was funnier to me then. I’m a changed man now.