logo Sign In

1997 Star Wars Special Edition 35mm Project (a WIP) — Page 21

Author
Time
 (Edited)

I personally would be very interested in discovering what defines the film like look. Between the early home video releases, and the current digital restorations created directly from the negative, I have struggled a lot trying to get contrast and saturation at the right levels. In the case of Star Wars what makes that film 1970s in terms of its look, and feel, and how do you avoid the pitfall of essentially turning a restoration or color grading into something that is mostly driven by modern tastes?

Author
Time

I agree with Dre: all good ideas! I would also be interested to hear your take on what the proper steps are in doing a film preservation in general. This whole subject is a very interesting and intriguing process, and I would be grateful for any insight or explanatory video you might be able to share whenever you are available, Poita.

Author
Time

Can someone with sources post a comparison of an uncropped frame of a lightsaber shot from 4k77 & the 35mm special edition?

ohteedee said on another forum that “Most FX shots have a smaller frame size than non FX shots.” (the post was regarding ROTJ specifically, but is a rather general statement)

I wonder if this is still true in the recomped 1997 versions of the same shots, and if the 97SE 35mm preservation wont need to be as cropped as 4k77, 83, etc.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

I Love To See The 35mm Print Of Star Wars A New Hope Special Edition When Finished.
But What About The 35mm Prints Of The Empire Strikes Back Special Edition & Return Of The Jedi Special Edition.

Author
Time

It is just down to funds to get the other two done.

Donations welcome: paypal.me/poit
bitcoin:13QDjXjt7w7BFiQc4Q7wpRGPtYKYchnm8x
Help get The Original Trilogy preserved!

Author
Time

Anything happening on this front? 😃

Author
Time

On the other two films, I’m still saving up, ANH has finished scanning, I’m just saving up for another two drives to get it backed up and sent out.

Author
Time

I will send another donation your way.

Author
Time

poita said:

On the other two films, I’m still saving up, ANH has finished scanning, I’m just saving up for another two drives to get it backed up and sent out.

How much do you need? I could probably get a couple bucks sent to ya.

Author
Time

After Dre’s very generous donation, I’m $460 short to get ANH on the drives.

Author
Time

I can help you get rid of dust and scratches

Author
Time

Hi Luke, we probably have that covered, but PM me and I’ll send you a few frames and I’ll take a look at how you go with it.

Author
Time

Is this project still alive?

It’s Not the Years, It’s the Mileage.

Author
Time

yes. projects here tend to go quiet from time to time. usually just means there’s nothing to report.

Author
Time

Yes, I’m in the middle of moving house, I have another two weeks of packing and moving (I am moving a 6 hour drive from where I live now) so things will be quiet until I get setup again.

Author
Time

yeah, I just moved so I know how long it can take. patience.

Author
Time

There should be some upcoming news about this over on the Star Wars Trilogy
forums, to follow up on this project.

Author
Time

Huh?

Author
Time

He seems to think that you’re associated with Team Negative One