Sign In

1997 Star Wars Special Edition 35mm Project — Page 14

Author
Time

RU.08 said:

Poita when you have a chance I have a question for you - what reasonably priced graphics card would you suggest I get for video editing? I have an i7-4770 and 24GB of DDR3.

The 1050Ti is the cheapest that gives you any real advantage for editing and grading, but it depends a lot on the software you use.

Donations welcome: paypal.me/poit
bitcoin:13QDjXjt7w7BFiQc4Q7wpRGPtYKYchnm8x
Help get The Original Trilogy preserved!

Author
Time

poita said:

The 1050Ti is the cheapest that gives you any real advantage for editing and grading, but it depends a lot on the software you use.

Thanks! I’m thinking about the 1060 6GB.

__Valeyard.net

Author
Time

I personally had a mild heart attack, and have to rest up a bit, but the work will continue soon.

Poita, I certainly hope your health issues improve in 2018.

Author
Time

6GB 1060 works very well if you can get one for a decent price.

Donations welcome: paypal.me/poit
bitcoin:13QDjXjt7w7BFiQc4Q7wpRGPtYKYchnm8x
Help get The Original Trilogy preserved!

Author
Time

Actually after seeing the current prices I decided to go with a 1050 Ti for now. But if the prices come down later this year as they’re projected to then I may get second GPU.

__Valeyard.net

Author
Time

The 1050Ti is definitely the best bang for buck right now, and we might see a new card from Nvidia next quarter, so I wouldn’t be buying an expensive card right now.

Donations welcome: paypal.me/poit
bitcoin:13QDjXjt7w7BFiQc4Q7wpRGPtYKYchnm8x
Help get The Original Trilogy preserved!

Author
Time

Not for video editing it doesn’t. No CUDA support for starters.

Donations welcome: paypal.me/poit
bitcoin:13QDjXjt7w7BFiQc4Q7wpRGPtYKYchnm8x
Help get The Original Trilogy preserved!

Author
Time

I’ve got a 1060 6GB and it’s definitely a great card to use for this sort of work. Really is a shame about the price spike, was $450 NZD when I got it, now it’s over $600.

FINISHED Projects: Chronologically LOST HD

Youtube Profile

Author
Time
 (Edited)

poita said:

Not for video editing it doesn’t. No CUDA support for starters.

Not to get terribly off-topic, but I was wondering if you had any thoughts on AMD’s Ryzen 8 core processor lineup (as opposed to Intel’s 6 core), which I can only presume would be great for editing when paired with a Nvidia GPU?

I’m due for an upgrade, as Resolve and Vegas aren’t great with my i7-4770 and NVidia 635 at the moment.

“That said, there is nothing wrong with mocking prequel lovers and belittling their bad taste.” - Alderaan, 2017

MGGA (Make GOUT Great Again):
http://originaltrilogy.com/topic/Return-of-the-GOUT-Preservation-and-Restoration/id/55707

Author
Time
 (Edited)

The Ryzen 1800X is about 10% faster on Resolve and 3DS Max than the Intel Core i7-6900K.
However on apps that don’t take advantage of all 8 cores, the Ryzen is considerably slower than the 6900K.
Not sure about the latest intel chips.

Some benchmarks here: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-ryzen-7-1800x-cpu,4951-9.html

Donations welcome: paypal.me/poit
bitcoin:13QDjXjt7w7BFiQc4Q7wpRGPtYKYchnm8x
Help get The Original Trilogy preserved!

Author
Time

I would suggest waiting just a bit longer, Zen+ is just supposed to launch (2700, 2700x etc.) and while the performance increase is not expected to be more than 10-15% it should also contribute to lower last gen prices if that’s more interesting rather than a slight performance increase.
Overall Ryzen tends to be a powerhouse when it comes to anything multi-threaded, however it falls a bit behind at single-threaded workloads (gaming etc.). Overall it’s best for you to look at your specific usecase and go from there.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

I just need something that can encode DNxHD/ProRes faster and let me preview my 1080p timelines quicker. When tweaking Poita’s preview files in Sony Vegas, my 4770 / 635 couldn’t handle the footage unless it was in 8-bit/Video Gamma, as opposed to full 32-bit/Linear Gamma, which made my preview screen play back at ~8fps. Not sure if a GPU upgrade would fix this though.

I actually found the Ryzen 1700x on sale recently, but I’ve been anxious to buy it, as I hear the i7-8700k is a worthy competitor. But just like you said, Zen+ is right on the horizon, and might be a better investment than a year old CPU.

“That said, there is nothing wrong with mocking prequel lovers and belittling their bad taste.” - Alderaan, 2017

MGGA (Make GOUT Great Again):
http://originaltrilogy.com/topic/Return-of-the-GOUT-Preservation-and-Restoration/id/55707

Author
Time

I just need something that can encode DNxHD/ProRes faster and let me preview my 1080p timelines quicker. When tweaking Poita’s preview files in Sony Vegas, my 4770 / 635 couldn’t handle the footage unless it was in 8-bit/Video Gamma, as opposed to full 32-bit/Linear Gamma, which made my preview screen play back at ~8fps. Not sure if a GPU upgrade would fix this though.

I think if you run your display from a second GPU then it fixes screen lag. Of course I can’t speak from experience. 😃

__Valeyard.net

Author
Time

poita said:

Yes, we are still short of the total, I’m funding it from my VISA card at the moment 😃

Hope you’re feeling better! Wishing all the best

Author
Time
 (Edited)

I’ve done a quick color correction of the first reel of poita’s 1997 SE scan, which also serves as a color reference next to the technicolor references for my regrade. Here are the Tantive IV shots and a few Tatooine shots as a bonus:

Author
Time

DrDre said:

I’ve color corrected the first reel of poita’s 1997 SE scan, which also serves as a color reference next to the technicolor references for my regrade. Here are the Tantive IV shots and a few Tatooine shots as a bonus:

That looks wonderful, but just a question: If it’s the 1997 SE, how come you didn’t match the colors to the Laserdisc? I’m not complaining, it looks great, but just a bit curious.

Author
Time

KillThad said:

DrDre said:

I’ve color corrected the first reel of poita’s 1997 SE scan, which also serves as a color reference next to the technicolor references for my regrade. Here are the Tantive IV shots and a few Tatooine shots as a bonus:

That looks wonderful, but just a question: If it’s the 1997 SE, how come you didn’t match the colors to the Laserdisc? I’m not complaining, it looks great, but just a bit curious.

Because the laserdisc colors look nothing like the theatrical colors of the 1997 SE, which was color timed using a technicolor print as a reference.

Author
Time

DrDre said:

KillThad said:

DrDre said:

I’ve color corrected the first reel of poita’s 1997 SE scan, which also serves as a color reference next to the technicolor references for my regrade. Here are the Tantive IV shots and a few Tatooine shots as a bonus:

That looks wonderful, but just a question: If it’s the 1997 SE, how come you didn’t match the colors to the Laserdisc? I’m not complaining, it looks great, but just a bit curious.

Because the laserdisc colors look nothing like the theatrical colors of the 1997 SE, which was color timed using a technicolor print as a reference.

Oh, was it? I didn’t know that. Thanks for the clarification 😃

Author
Time

DrDre said:

I’ve done a quick color correction of the first reel of poita’s 1997 SE scan, which also serves as a color reference next to the technicolor references for my regrade. Here are the Tantive IV shots and a few Tatooine shots as a bonus:

Not necessarily an error, as it probably is how it was graded in the first place, but seems the closeups of that one rebel soldier have noticeable more mint color in the walls than surrounding shots.

Author
Time

So what’s the progress of the SE scans?

Author
Time

Darth Lucas said:

DrDre said:

I’ve done a quick color correction of the first reel of poita’s 1997 SE scan, which also serves as a color reference next to the technicolor references for my regrade. Here are the Tantive IV shots and a few Tatooine shots as a bonus:

Not necessarily an error, as it probably is how it was graded in the first place, but seems the closeups of that one rebel soldier have noticeable more mint color in the walls than surrounding shots.

Yeah, poita also noticed the color balance of the SE print is all over the place.

Author
Time

DrDre said:

Darth Lucas said:

DrDre said:

I’ve done a quick color correction of the first reel of poita’s 1997 SE scan, which also serves as a color reference next to the technicolor references for my regrade. Here are the Tantive IV shots and a few Tatooine shots as a bonus:

Not necessarily an error, as it probably is how it was graded in the first place, but seems the closeups of that one rebel soldier have noticeable more mint color in the walls than surrounding shots.

Yeah, poita also noticed the color balance of the SE print is all over the place.

Watching STAR WARS SE theatrically in 1997…during the LEIA/VADER scene on the Tantive IV…I clearly remember the color timing actually changing within a single shot…Leia’s skin tones clearly fluctuated during one of her responses. I saw it multiple times at different locations, so it was not merely a screwed up print.