logo Sign In

1997 Star Wars Special Edition 35mm Project (a WIP) — Page 23

Author
Time

Ronster said:

On the 97 TV broadcast version when Luke “get’s a little cooked” after he shoots the artillery gunners. There is a thruster sound for the xwing when Luke pulls away over camera which is not heard in any other version.

There is also an omitted shot of R2D2 in the canyon cut from the film. (This shot is prior to R2D2 going down the slope) When I saw this not only did I think the sequence worked better without that shot but then I became quite suspicious about wether it was actually meant for that part.

In the end I concluded that particular canyon shot seeing as it looks nothing like the canyon R2D2 is in at this time and at dusk and this shot was also a different time of day it might be a shot in the search for R2D2 sequence.

It turns out it was a correct guess and it sandwhiches between the landspeeder “look theres a droid dead ahead on the scanner” and the tuskan raiders on the cliff. Due to the amount of music missing (few seconds) and to hit the cue, this particular clip does not run it’s full lenngth (shorter) when inserted to the sequence. Further more the cue is missed when the raider jumps on the bantha. The music edit on the track is also botched as the last drum hit should synchronise simultaneously with the deep cello string upon luke and 3P0 finding R2.

So the 97 broadcast might have been a a sign that they were still fiddling with the film but this particular edit never got sorted out or fixed or ever made a different version. And the thrusters on the xwing have never made it to another version either.

This was a digitized VHS capture of the Broadcast with adverts I found on the Internet Archive.

I tried finding this version over there but couldn’t find it. Can you PM it to me?

Project creator and film enthusiast.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Yes you are correct it is removed from there because I decided to check after posting.

I will post the clip with the extra sound effect on the xwing on this thread but as the cut shot of R2D2 in the canyon is simply a straight up removal and elimination of a scene there is not anything to show and you can recreate this yourself. I have given enough information about this as a guide.

Funnily enough whilst checking to see if that file was still thete on internet archive I downloaded Star Wars the Mystery & the magic US version… The promotional documentary for the special edition. I downloaded this for the binary sunset color grade (red version) which seems like it was meant to be a Special edition shot but never was included it looks totally different and worse in the 97 version but the red version does suffer from contrast issues but it is yet another change that slipped by. On the documentary it does make a point of stating “original version” and “special edition version” on this binary sunset shot however nothing is stated but it does seem to relate to the techni disc laserdisc release color. Anyway I am gearing up to sort this out over December / January.

I will post the snippet near the end of this week of xwing sound. Busy at the moment.

I do understand the desire to have the whole file… It sounds great looks bad though. If anything I can export the audio and share also.

There is also evidence of an earlier version of ben’s hutt special edition matte with a path to get to it found in star wars force commander pc game. I just aquired a good quality shot of the path that got filled in with rock / cliff face. It’s also good because the landspeeder obviously went up that way, up the path and is facing left. Where as in the 97 matte it looks as if there is no way up to Ben’s hut and it’s not clear how it could be reached. So it was Revised for the worse it seems.

Author
Time

what ever happened with this

around the survivors a perimeter create

Author
Time

doubleofive said:

Team Negative One has a similar project being worked on their forum.

the 4k97 ones?

around the survivors a perimeter create

Author
Time

I’m curious about the amount of grain and colour saturation left - with these kinds of projects, is it usually quite negligible in the final product?

Author
Time

ArcherEdits said:

I’m curious about the amount of grain and colour saturation left - with these kinds of projects, is it usually quite negligible in the final product?

It depends on if they remove the grain and color saturation. Every project is different.

Star Wars Revisited Wordpress

Star Wars Visual Comparisons WordPress