logo Sign In

1997 Star Wars Special Edition 35mm Project (a WIP) — Page 2

Author
Time

The print should be arriving this week, and scanning will commence shortly after.

Any extra help really appreciated, check my sig for donations, it is an expensive exercise, and I’m hoping to do Jedi once ANH is done.

Donations welcome: paypal.me/poit
bitcoin:13QDjXjt7w7BFiQc4Q7wpRGPtYKYchnm8x
Help get The Original Trilogy preserved!

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Here are the same SE trailers in english, ripped from my SE DVDs (1997 versions). After the Jedi trailer is a making of the Special Editions documentary. I didn’t combine the trailer with the documentary, this is how it is on my DVD.

https://we.tl/jj3BaIk0o5

Author
Time

Mavimao said:

Ah yes, I didn’t think about the Disney films. Indeed, OBWAT is not the first DI.

There was also the Gone With the Wind restoration from the early 90s. That was completely digitized.

OBWAT is the first complete DI of a live action movie.

As for the ‘98 theatrical re-release of GWTW, only 12 minutes or so of the movie was digitally restored, according to this article:

https://mobile.nytimes.com/1998/06/25/movies/scarlett-rhett-old-south-their-most-colorful-giving-new-life-beloved-but-faded.html

Author
Time

I am paying a loan fee for both ROTJ and ESB, unfortunately they are not in the US, so shipping is expensive both ways, it is around $200 each way for freight.

Author
Time

I am willing to help with this if you’re still accepting requests.

Author
Time

Quick answer: yes of course he’s still accepting donations! 😃

[ Scanning stuff since 2015 ]

Author
Time
 (Edited)

RU.08 said:

Quick answer: yes of course he’s still accepting donations! 😃

Unfortunately, I’m broke, but I’d still like to help anyway I can.

Author
Time

Ah right sorry for any confusion. The question of “can I still donate” comes up an awful lot.

Author
Time

RU.08 said:

Ah right sorry for any confusion. The question of “can I still donate” comes up an awful lot.

Ah, you’re fine.

Author
Time

Here are two frames, straight out of the scanner, just scaled down to 4K from the 6K scan.

No colour adjustment done, these are 16bit TIFF files, so you will need to adjust the curves to see what the colour looks like, no LUT has been applied.

https://wetransfer.com/downloads/4439bd1fcbe67500b855a017435ad9eb20171103051735/43a198a695fde783651cf7d98d01a37120171103051735/9e0795
I really do need help on meeting the costs on this, I’d like to be able to get all the reels done, and then move onto ESB and ROTJ.

Any help appreciated, see my sig for details.

Author
Time

Author
Time

poita said:

Here are two frames, straight out of the scanner, just scaled down to 4K from the 6K scan.

No colour adjustment done, these are 16bit TIFF files, so you will need to adjust the curves to see what the colour looks like, no LUT has been applied.

https://wetransfer.com/downloads/4439bd1fcbe67500b855a017435ad9eb20171103051735/43a198a695fde783651cf7d98d01a37120171103051735/9e0795
I really do need help on meeting the costs on this, I’d like to be able to get all the reels done, and then move onto ESB and ROTJ.

Any help appreciated, see my sig for details.

I donated another 50 USD just now to further the cause.

Author
Time

Looks beautiful. Arguably better than the 77 print scans. What is the color space used?

On an aside, I’m always amazed at how few “lines of resolution” these release prints seem to have.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

3500 lines aren’t enough? 😉

The final scans will be in ACES colourspace.

Author
Time

I think he means the resolution of the print, not the scan. Not surprising really as you can see the grain particles, and each grain particle is the print’s “pixel”. The blue layer has the lowest resolution/largest grain as per usual:

Author
Time

Well, it depends a lot on the print, but there is often far more resolution in the vertical on the print than on the Blue-ray, but when the BD is sourced from a neg, it will often have more detail in some areas that were not on the print.

I’ll put some examples of both up when I get the focus issue sorted.

Author
Time

Oh yeah, there definitely is, and the 4:2:0 compression brings a lot of 1080p scenes (speaking generally this is, not specific to SW) down to DVD quality as well. It’s a pity the UHD Bluray specs are still limited to 4:2:0 subsampling actually.

Author
Time

Yeah, it is nice to be able to watch a scan in 4:4:4 uncompressed 😃

Author
Time

Question: Weren’t the Special Editions mastered in 2K? Wouldn’t scanning it at 6K be kind of pointless? I’m not saying don’t, I’m just saying that is seems a bit weird.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

No, I do not think they were, I think it is a common misconception but we will soon find out. (I could be wrong, but I am pretty sure they weren’t)

The new CGI sequences would have been done in 2K full aperture, but the rest of the film was done traditionally, and even the new wipes were done optically, so apart from the new effects, it should resolve well above 2K.