logo Sign In

Help: looking for... 1997 SE TB Digital Broadcasts — Page 5

Author
Time
As you can see from the pic i posted on the first page they are burnt in . Only way is to cut & copy from the 2004 SE or from the TB release(i think the TB has a logo in the top right corner?)

http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/4501/vlcsnap92876zt6.png

I was going to edit the Gkar to have an english title ect(using 2004 SE DVDs) but to much effort when the english TB release is out there . Im still hoping i can grab a copy of it.

As for people unable to copy the TB release what program are you using to try & copy it?....most programs can ignore the CRC errors.

Alcohol 120% is one example.
Author
Time
Originally posted by: MoBiUs
...most programs can ignore the CRC errors.

http://img53.imageshack.us/img53/2250/flunkscreenshot1px.jpg
SWarsIV_SE_DLayer_Flunk

Methinks that guy might have ignored some CRC errors.

Good luck with that

However, in practice you must take into account the “fuckwit factor”. Just talk to Darth Mallwalker…
-Moth3r

Author
Time
Originally posted by: skyjedi2005 now we get to the other subject aspect ratio the laserdiscs and widescreen vhs are letterbox. not sure if the dvb broadcasts were 2:35:1 anamorhpic or 4:3 letterbox . the set i have of gkar is anamorphic i think but i might have been stretched to anamorphic by the dvd creator, unless the person could be contacted to see whether or not it was oar. oh shit i just remembered that the gkar is slighly cropped might be 1:78:1 or some shit.

the gkar has a sharper picture than any laserdisc sourced dvd being pal and not ntsc but it plays back at pal speed so unless you enjoy pal speedup it is crap. plus their is some blockiness in the image in some areas from compression, maybe. i obviously cannot say whether it is in the raw capped broadcast or not.

I'm pretty sure the Gkar, TB, Reivax and the Flunk release are all genuine anamorphic transfers, although Gkar and TB were probably captured from the analog video output of a DVB receiver, but you're right Gkar, TB and I think Reivax appear to be slightly cropped especially at the bottom and maybe the AR also is slightly off, not much but maybe more equal to 2.25-2.30:1 or so.

I think the Flunk release should be correct AR though as it's claimed to be a digital transfer from a master tape, although as already mentioned the Flunk has several other quality issues.

Still using video from Gkar, TB, and Reivax and combine it with high quality audio capture from some of the SE LDs one should be able to put together very decent PAL and NTSC '97 SE version DVDs.

Author
Time
Originally posted by: Red5
Still using video from Gkar, TB, and Reivax and combine it with high quality audio capture from some of the SE LDs one should be able to put together very decent PAL and NTSC '97 SE version DVDs.

I would love to see this!

ThrowgnCpr’s edits on Fanedit.org

Author
Time
Here's the title card:

http://img476.imageshack.us/img476/8923/flunkhj2.png
Flunk

REIVAX
http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/1796/reivaxsa8.png

REIVAX is cropped at the sides, but top and bottom look quite similar.

However, in practice you must take into account the “fuckwit factor”. Just talk to Darth Mallwalker…
-Moth3r

Author
Time
And this is the TB release
http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/4112/tbswxn4.png

hmm, I always thought it was more cropped at the bottom as the actual picture area is only 420 lines high as supposed to 432 which is standard for anamorphic PAL, but I see now that it is cropped more or less the same as the Reivax.

Author
Time
So, what's the best SE preservation?

A Goon in a Gaggle of 'em

Author
Time
So! People, '97 SE superset... anyone got the know-how to do it or not? As I've said, I grew up with this version... so I'd like to see it live on.

Author
Time
Any progress with this? I also grew up on the '97 SE and I'm dying to get a digital copy of them. The 2004 changes are terrible!

Please finish this project! I will be happy to seed any files that are put up as torrents if that helps.
Author
Time
Just to let everyone know I have started to put together a '97 SE superset', it had been my intention for some time but when I couldn't get my TB discs (kindly supplied by Darth Boman) to copy I gave up on it. However over the weekend I managed to rip the entire video from both the ANH and ESB TB discs (after many failed attempts it just suddenly worked, but they still wont copy!).

so rather than just re-author the TB set I though I would combine the best elements of the TB set and the GKAR set (which ripped without any problems) and make a best possible version.

I'm currently working on ESB, because that's the one that I got to rip first and it has no subtitles to worry about, and I have been surprised to find that the TB video is actually more detailed than the GKAR, but the TB has a few missing frames and glitches in the video. I'm not sure if this is also true of the other films but for ESB I can safely say that most of the video will be comming from the TB set.

You may have noticed that I haven't yet mentioned ROTJ that's because I haven't been able to get the TB disc to rip properly (it is visably more scratched/marked than the others), it's got to about 30% which is enough to cover the subtitled scenes but I want to have the full thing ripped before I start making decisions on that one.

A couple of questions for anyone who might know:
1. Is the english 5.1 track on teh GKAR set genuine or is it an upmix?
2. Is there any other source for a genuine 5.1 mix? (I know it's on the laserdiscs but is it on any of the bootlegs?)
3. Are the making of interviews that were on the VHS before the films available in widescreen? (I only ever had the P&S VHS)

I just want to say that this will not be a fast process as I'm a perfectionist and I'm really busy in the real world but I'm happy with my progress so far and I'll try and post an update at the weekend with some pictures showing the difference in quality between the two sets.
Author
Time
Just to let everyone know I have started to put together a '97 SE superset'

Supercool!
Author
Time
Thanks so much Max_Rebo!

I too have been desiring a 1997 superset to be put together and can't wait to see how it turns out.

It's the version I grew up on, so to see it preserved would be amazing. Thanks again!

May the Force be with you.

Author
Time
Fast process or not, please keep us informed... otherwise,we may give up!
I'm glad I'm not the only one to grow up with the original SE.

Author
Time
You're going to have to deal with the different aspect ratio's of the two sets. I believe one of them is squashed down to 2.25:1, can't remember which one. In other words, one set has thicker black bars than the other. Some cropping and resizing will be necessary. Good luck...

You can go about your business. Move along, move along.

http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/4962/nowplayingbannermasterzc2.jpg
The Story of Star Wars
The Adventures Of Luke Skywalker

Author
Time
Originally posted by: MoveAlong
You're going to have to deal with the different aspect ratio's of the two sets. I believe one of them is squashed down to 2.25:1, can't remember which one. In other words, one set has thicker black bars than the other. Some cropping and resizing will be necessary. Good luck...

Actually they are both squished (or at least appear so) because they are based off the same master (all the same dirt and scratches can be seen on them) the TB is 8 pixels higher than the GKAR but otherwise the aspect ratio, framing etc. is the same (except for the title crawl)

I think the aspect ratio can be easily fixed just by adding a bit of overscan to the sides, since the image size is 704x576 just adding 8 pixels to each side bringing it up to 720x 576 does a lot to sort it out, I need to compare it with the official dvd to see if it's close enough.

Obviously all this only applies to ESB, I'll have to wait and see with the others.

I'm glad there are other's who want these preserved, they were the first versions I had on video and it's how I remember first seeing Star Wars (but not Empire and Jedi, I had them on video taped off TV, and always enjoyed them despite having no knowledge of what happend in the first film!)

Author
Time
3. Are the making of interviews that were on the VHS before the films available in widescreen? (I only ever had the P&S VHS)

No the interviews are pan and scan on the widescreen tapes as well.
Author
Time
Originally posted by: Max_Rebo
2. Is there any other source for a genuine 5.1 mix? (I know it's on the laserdiscs but is it on any of the bootlegs?)

Not sure I'd trust any bootleg, as getting the genuine 5.1 mix off the LDs was (is?) tricky. If you need the 5.1 off the LDs, lemme know. I've got all the equipment to do it.

Author
Time
Didn't Ady take a 5.1 mix from a laserdisc source?

Author
Time
yes the us laserdisc of the 1997 special edition has the ac3 5.1 mix.

the uk release only got a 2.0 since the uk did not have ac3 laserdiscs from what i've been told.

of course the japan release and the us release have the ac3 5.1 ntsc.

the last release being in japan in 2000 with burned in subtitles in the lower black bar area for the letterboxing.

this was missing the making of but added a behind the scenes look at episode II.

I only own the 1997 us set and do not have the ac3 equipment so it comes out of my tv downmixed into stereo.

i believe i read someplace that the g'kar pal set 5.1 was an upmix of the uk pal stereo mix? possibly taken from tv broadcast sources.

i probably should say european audio release since the g'kar was form germany right?

The TB set has a higher bitrate but i only own the g'kar since nobody i know has a set without crc errors. i've been able to circumvent this in the past on some of my burnt dvd fan discs in my collection with dvdfab dycrypter, but since i do not own the TB set i cannot try it out, LOL.

“Always loved Vader’s wordless self sacrifice. Another shitty, clueless, revision like Greedo and young Anakin’s ghost. What a fucking shame.” -Simon Pegg.

Author
Time
Yes used the AC3 from the LD for his mix simply because the audio channels didn't suffer from too much of the swapping, like the 2004 dvd soundtrack had.

Venerable member of the “Red Eye” Knights

Author
Time
Originally posted by: Karyudo
Not sure I'd trust any bootleg, as getting the genuine 5.1 mix off the LDs was (is?) tricky. If you need the 5.1 off the LDs, lemme know. I've got all the equipment to do it.
K, I sent you an email about this months ago - did you ever receive it?

Guidelines for post content and general behaviour: read announcement here

Max. allowable image sizes in signatures: reminder here

Author
Time
Originally posted by: Karyudo
Originally posted by: Max_Rebo

yes please, that would be great.
Author
Time
I have the 5.1 track from the laserdiscs but i haven't synced them to the 2004 ntsc dvd. it is still in 3 separate parts in uncompressed wav format but they are too big to post on rapidshare. the first 2 are about 1.5gb each and the 3rd part is 800mb. I was thinking about syncing it up to the dvds when i get a bit more time and creating a AC3 5.1 track that can be easily added to the SE

ANH:REVISITED
ESB:REVISITED

DONATIONS TOWARDS MATERIALS FOR THE REVISITED SAGA

Author
Time
Adywan, are you kidding? You should be taking a break after all the work on your edit. Maybe pass the 5.1 mix along to Belbucus and see if he's interested.

To contact me outside the forum, for trades and such my email address is my OT.com username @gmail.com