logo Sign In

Info: 1997 SE DV Broadcast Info & Discussion

Author
Time
 (Edited)

and a few more,

just please remember I am working with Laserdisc quality,NOT DVD LOL,so fire away the criticism.

*****deleted these to for same reason.

Author
Time

Is the LD source really that over-saturated? I'm not even sure if that's the right word to use, but that's... a lot of color... @_@

A Goon in a Gaggle of 'em

Author
Time

probably not,I am still messing with the levels a little bit in avisynth,and it looks to dark especially on the Vader pic in the lower left corner,but that is why this is samples.

Thanks for the input though,I really appreciate it,I will mess with it some more tomorrow.

Author
Time

That's what I was wondering.  The 97's were colorful, but not that colorful. Thank you for doing this DJ!

VADER!? WHERE THE HELL IS MY MOCHA LATTE? -Palpy on a very bad day.
“George didn’t think there was any future in dead Han toys.”-Harrison Ford
YT channel:
https://www.youtube.com/c/DamnFoolIdealisticCrusader

Author
Time

I am wanting a straight LD preservation and no color correcting,I want to keep the LD video as much untouched(in the color)as possible,so the above screens suck,I completely took out the levels and tweak from the script to keep it just the way it is,just some clean up,so here is what Leia looks like before and after.

Leia NO levels or tweak adjustment,just the way the LD shows her

now this is what it was before,when I was messing with levels and tweak settings

I made another 19 minute DVD sample of the some Hoth Battle scenes,Yodas Hut scenes,and the Vader\Luke Duel to see how this looks on my HDTV.

Author
Time

I'd say judging on the screen it looks better by far without the filters!

Author
Time

Yeah, dude - go without filters on this one.  It looks much better.  Perhaps seeing these in motion would help?

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Actually, you just need to set the level adjustment to only affect luma, no need ti change colors, then it will look great!

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Sumguy21 said:

Actually, you just need to set the level adjustment to only affect luma, no need ti change colors, then it will look great!

give me an example and I will try it.

Author
Time

Using Levels(0, 1, 255, 0, 204) in avisynth shouldn't affect chroma so long as you're in a YUV colorspace.

Author
Time

I think sumguy's looks pretty good.

Author
Time

Just wanting to let anyone know that is interested in this that it is still alive,just working on obtaining the DD 5.1 audio,because without it this project really is not worth doing,at least to me anyways,but ALL sides to ALL movies are on my hard drive,and I have ESB video finished and working on ANH video now,just doing it slowly.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Testing ESB SE "Take 2" DVD right now,and I am watching it on a 65" HDTV being upconverted by my Sony BDP-S350 Blu-ray player and it looks pretty damn good to me so far(as far a a LD rip goes,it definitely does not look as good as my Blu-ray projects LOL),all I did to the video was mild clean up and IVTC and made it 16:9 anamorphic,but the SWEET thing to this is the audio,it has the Dolby Digital 5.1 ripped audio from the LD,not that crappy latter 5.1 mix,and DAMN does it sound NICE!

if this DVD checks out,these are the specs:
4.38 GB's (damn did I get lucky on this LOL)
16:9 anamorphic video @ 2.35:1 encoded at 4200 avg bitrate
Dolby Digital 5.1 @ 384kbps(untouched Laserdisc rip,Thanks to Darth Editous)
Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround @ 224kbps (untouched Laserdisc rip captured with video)
NO Menu's,Movie only,chapters,audio selectable by your DVD player remote.

and now for the HUGE Thanks to Darth Editous for the 5.1 audio file! IT SOUNDS GREAT!!!!!!!

The audio took A LOT of work but it payed off in the end,took me quit a few hours to get ESB all sync'd up and edited back together,because I got the files in LD sides,not 1 file for the whole film,so now that I have done this once already,hopefully ANH and ROTJ will not take as long.

Author
Time

This is great news. I've never heard the 97 LD 5.1 track, but wanted to for years. Thanks for all the hard work!

VADER!? WHERE THE HELL IS MY MOCHA LATTE? -Palpy on a very bad day.
“George didn’t think there was any future in dead Han toys.”-Harrison Ford
YT channel:
https://www.youtube.com/c/DamnFoolIdealisticCrusader

Author
Time

Well everything tested OK,the only thing I noticed was it seemed a little dark in some scenes but I went back and looked at the raw LD cap and it looked the same there,I am sure that is probably the way it is supposed to be,like I said my only goal here really is to preserve my LD's one more time the right way before I retire my LD player and put up all my LD's,and to hopefully obtain the 5.1 LD rips(which I have done thanks to DE)now I just need to do ANH & ROTJ,these are going to be fun,got to do subs,yippee.

Author
Time

captainsolo said:

This is great news. I've never heard the 97 LD 5.1 track, but wanted to for years. Thanks for all the hard work!

If you or anyone else wants them, PM me.

DE

Author
Time

I just watched ESB again it sounded so damn good I just had to hear it again LOL,for those with 5.1 setups,this audio ROCKS!

here are some screens from the final ESB SE "Take 2" DVD

this is NO messin with color at all.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

I forgot some Yoda shots so here he is,

moving on to ANH now,I have accomplished what I set out to do with this,on my set up it looks pretty good,as good as an LD can get in my opinion,if someone else can do better with a Super Duper LD player than by all means go for it,but this looks a TON better than my first LD capture of this set years ago.I am Happy.

Author
Time

I know I'm being nitpicky, but would you consider using sumguy's alteration? I would venture applied to the whole movie it'd look great.