logo Sign In

1995 VHS — Page 2

Author
Time
damn.... doesnt that cost them more money releasing two different versions?

i mean hell Lucas wont even give us a choice on what version to buy yet hes giving consumers a choice on what aspect to buy?

i figured he would just release the sets in widescreen and say "if you want SW you buy them the way i ask you to!"
lol
"Never. I'll never turn to the darkside. You've failed your highness. I am a jedi, like my father before me."
Author
Time

Originally posted by: Luke Skywalker

i mean hell Lucas wont even give us a choice on what version to buy yet hes giving consumers a choice on what aspect to buy?

i figured he would just release the sets in widescreen and say "if you want SW you buy them the way i ask you to!"
lol

It was Fox who forced the pan scan on Lucas. Lucas is anti pan scan.
Author
Time

Originally posted by: Luke Skywalker

lol

It's more expensive, yes. They have to higher someone to come in and decide which part of the frame to keep for each shot. It's fairly time consuming.

Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here, this is the war room!

Author
Time
Lucas is also anti film preservation..
"Never. I'll never turn to the darkside. You've failed your highness. I am a jedi, like my father before me."
Author
Time
and they'tre only selling the Pan & scan version in the U.S, the rest of the world seems to accept Widescreen.
Author
Time
WHY CAN'T fOX FORCE HIM TO RELEASE THE ORIGINAL THEATRICAL VERSIONS OF THE FILM?
I'm sure they'd sell a shitload more than the pan & scan ever will.
Author
Time

Originally posted by: buddy-x-wing
WHY CAN'T fOX FORCE HIM TO RELEASE THE ORIGINAL THEATRICAL VERSIONS OF THE FILM?
I'm sure they'd sell a shitload more than the pan & scan ever will.

Actually I think they probably wouldn't. Which is a very sad fact.
Author
Time

Originally posted by: DanielB

Originally posted by: buddy-x-wing
and they'tre only selling the Pan & scan version in the U.S, the rest of the world seems to accept Widescreen.
Yes, it's true. American Society IS one of the most uneducated.

-edit-

While I think of it here's one for the PAL Vs NTSC

This site indicates France uses PAL system, dosen't they use SECAM or something?

In Brazil we use an alternate and improved PAL system called PAL-M, which is fully compatible with PAL.
“Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country.” — Nazi Reich Marshal Hermann Goering
Author
Time
By PAL-M do you mean PAL-60? How is that better? Technically DVDs can only be in NTFS or PAL. SECAM might use a different frequency but it's still 25fps and 625 lines which makes it just like PAL. The way I understand it their TVs must automatically convert the PAL picture to their SECAM picture which wouldn't be hard since it's only the frequency that's different.

Here you are:

PAL 50 625 4.43MHz
SECAM 50 625 4.25/4.40MHz

And while we're on it, yes PAL-M is basically just the PAL version of NTSC:

NTSC 59.94 525 3.58MHz
PAL-M 59.94 525 3.58MHz

How is it a better PAL? It is for all intents and purposes NTSC!

PAL Advantages over NTSC:

* No 2:3 pulldown
* More lines of resolution
* More Luminance Bandwidth
* More Gamma Information (wider contrast)
* Stable Hues
Author
Time
I did not know the technicalaties, only what I was told about. Back on the black and white days, we used a frequency system labeled M. During the change to a color system, there was a need to make sure that the color TVs would still get the b&w signal, thus creating the PAL-M system. I've heard more than once that a lot of effort was put into it so that it would be a good color system for the time. First testings started in mid-60s, and it was only officially used in 1972. I'll try to find out some technical information about it, and post it here.
“Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country.” — Nazi Reich Marshal Hermann Goering