logo Sign In

1995 Pan and Scan - Faces Set - Original Trilogy (Released)

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Over the next two weeks or so I will be capturing the 1995 Faces trilogy. These will be simple quick and dirty captures taking from a standard 4-head VCR, captured using a USB capture device. These will not be enhanced in any way, save for deinterlacing, and will be finished in whatever format the software I choose can handle. These will be in the standard 640x480 resolution, since there is absolutely no reason to go higher. I know a couple of people are interested in seeing these preserved already, and if you want to see them as well, let me know so I can get an idea for the demand. Any tips are welcome, specifically regarding software, as this will be my first project.

UPDATE:
Star Wars is now available. I can’t tell with absolute certainty that the audio is in sync properly. The deinterlace filter that I have added introduced a little bit of aliasing, but it’s not super bad. The audio is also not the greatest quality. I can’t really explain it, but it sounds like I tried to make it louder and made it all crackly as a result. Here is an imgur album with a few screenshots: http://imgur.com/a/LtG13

Author
Time

I’d just like to suggest that you capture the entire tape. The one last time commercial and the Leonard Maltin interview are part of what makes faces amazing.

Preferred Saga:
1/2: Hal9000
3: L8wrtr
4/5: Adywan
6-9: Hal9000

Author
Time

Absolutely. I grew up with these tapes too so those are a part of the complete experience for me.

Author
Time

^Hell yeah that’s the whole reason to do Faces.

Thanks so much for this, you’re going to make me and my friends (but mostly me) very happy.

Author
Time

Quick question: When are you guys going to be wanting these by?

Author
Time

Whenever you get 'em done is good for me! I’m just grateful you’re preserving these. 😃

Author
Time

Cool, would love to see these. Yeah, for some reason I want to watch old VHS copies again for the hell of it.

Author
Time

My friends and I were planning on watching them potentially this Friday but I don’t mind at all if you don’t have them done by then (even just one of them would be great but again don’t stress it, it’s no big deal).

Author
Time

Alright. The current plan is to start these Wednesdays after my finals are done and over with. In the future, I will also probably capture the Letterboxed 97 Trilogy, the letterboxed TPM tape and, if I get around to picking it up, the pan and scan 97 trilogy.

Author
Time

For the fun of it, and since it’s been staring at me from my kitchen table, here’s George’s words from the outer box:
"The appeal of STAR WARS has gone beyond anything I could have ever imagined. I am pleased that for the final video release of STAR WARS in its original version, we can present it with the best sound and picture quality yet available, thanks to THX Digital Mastering.

“In the years to come I hope you, your children, and your children’s children will enjoy not only this trilogy but also the adventures yet to come in the continually unfolding STAR WARS universe” -George Lucas

Author
Time

Little did we know at the time what he was plotting…

I’d love to see these in DVD format, but you must do what you feel is right, of course.
I never had this particular set, but I grew up on the pan & scan CEDs and, later, VHS (1993 release, maybe?)

Author
Time

If I can figure out DVD authoring, sure. Most likely just AVI files, but I don’t know at this point. I began capturing Star Wars today, but at this point only have video.

Author
Time

Update: The audio and video for Star Wars has been captured. Video is being compressed as I type this. I captured audio and video separately in hopes that I could sync audio better. If all goes well, hopefully this one will be done by tonight.

Author
Time

Okay, Star Wars is done. I still need to upload it to a certain site and I can’t tell with absolute certainty that the audio is in sync properly. The deinterlace filter that I have added introduced a little bit of aliasing, but it’s not super bad. The audio is also not the greatest quality. I can’t really explain it, but it sounds like I tried to make it louder and made it all crackly as a result. Here is an imgur album with a few screenshots to give you an idea of the quality and pan and scan nature of the video: http://imgur.com/a/LtG13

Author
Time

Looks good! Thanks for doing these!! 😄

Author
Time

So the organ is being not loading correctly for me, so as soon as the site is back up, I will upload this.

Author
Time

You have 0% complete according to the tracker

However, in practice you must take into account the “fuckwit factor”. Just talk to Darth Mallwalker…
-Moth3r

Author
Time

Yeah, I’ve been trying to figure out what the hell is happening. It should be uploading but it’s not.

Author
Time

Wazzles said:

The deinterlace filter that I have added introduced a little bit of aliasing…

Actually, it’s supposed to look like that =| The GOUT and the 1992 set are the same way.

This signature uses Markdown syntax, which makes it easy to add formatting like italics, bold, and lists:

Author
Time

Did you download the torrent off the page on spleen and set the download location to where you already have the file?

Preferred Saga:
1/2: Hal9000
3: L8wrtr
4/5: Adywan
6-9: Hal9000

Author
Time

Is that what I need to do or what I shouldn’t do?

Author
Time

You must download the .torrent file from there.
It will have your 'spleen user ID encoded within,
which is not present in the .torrent file you made/uploaded

However, in practice you must take into account the “fuckwit factor”. Just talk to Darth Mallwalker…
-Moth3r

Author
Time

Give it a shot now, I believe I finally figured it out. Sorry for the delay guys.