logo Sign In

12+ hour Star Wars Saga Marathon?

Author
Time
 (Edited)

On Thursday, me and my friends are going to watch the entire Star Wars saga in order by Episode number, 1-6. This is going to rock, comparable to Lord of the Rings marathons many people I know have had, only better. How would you guys watch it? 1-6 or 4-6, 1-3?

Author
Time
I would probably watch it once in a while in numerical order, just to see how it worked, but I'd usually watch it 4-6, 1-3.

There is no lingerie in space…

C3PX said: Gaffer is like that hot girl in high school that you think you have a chance with even though she is way out of your league because she is sweet and not a stuck up bitch who pretends you don’t exist… then one day you spot her making out with some skinny twerp, only on second glance you realize it is the goth girl who always sits in the back of class; at that moment it dawns on you why she is never seen hanging off the arm of any of the jocks… and you realize, damn, she really is unobtainable after all. Not that that is going to stop you from dreaming… Only in this case, Gaffer is actually a guy.

Author
Time
I always watch Empire then Jedi and finish with Star Wars. I have the new ones but I just watch parts of those.

“You know, when you think about it, the Ewoks probably just crap over the sides of their tree-huts.”

Author
Time
Agreed with Gaffer Tape (though I would stop after VI. )

<span class=“Italics”>MeBeJedi: Sadly, I believe the prequels are beyond repair.
<span class=“Bold”>JediRandy: They’re certainly beyond any repair you’re capable of making.</span></span>

<span class=“Italics”>MeBeJedi: You aren’t one of us.
<span class=“Bold”>Go-Mer-Tonic: I can’t say I find that very disappointing.</span></span>

<span class=“Italics”>JediRandy: I won’t suck as much as a fan edit.</span>

Author
Time

Originally posted by: miochza
How would you guys watch it? 1-6 or 4-6, 1-3?

I would watch Star Wars (1977) and then The Empire Strikes Back(1980).
There's only 2 Star Wars movies.

Forum Moderator
Author
Time

Originally posted by: Anchorhead

Wow. You can't even acknowledge ROTJ?!
Author
Time
at this point, i'd probably watch Balance of the Force, then eps II thru VI. unless i'm someplace where others have put on the PT, i hope never to watch the actual EpI again. (I have to watch EpII as-is cause I need Dooku to be a sith to enjoy ROTS...until MagFan's next edit of course.)
Pop Geek (my blog)
Entertainment Geekly
Author
Time
One day I intend to get all the DVDs, the prequels and the 2004 edition, and watch them all, so I can watch it the way GL wants me to, and see if he is truly a genious or an idiot, at the present moment I think the later one is true, but that could change.
“Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country.” — Nazi Reich Marshal Hermann Goering
Author
Time

Really? How does it all end?

Author
Time
I say watch episode IV-VI, then I-III, followed by IV-VI

if you want to you can do the OOT for the first IV-VI and then the DVD versions for the second time around, this is what i did when ROTS came out, though i spaced it out 1 movie per day. (i actually only did the dvd versions so i could see them and the changes.

-Darth Simon
Why Anakin really turned to the dark side:
"Anakin, You're father I am" - Yoda
"No. No. That's not true! That's impossible!" - Anakin

*touchy people disclaimer*
some or all of the above comments are partially exaggerated to convey a point, none of the comments are meant as personal attacks on anyone mentioned or reference in the above post
Author
Time
I am doing that with my friends. We are watching 1-6 (I'll buy the legit version of Ep. III when it comes out).
Rock. Nirvana. Awsomeness.

http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/1446/jackson3dg.jpg

Author
Time

I gotta shoot you a NO on that one. It's crap.
Forum Moderator
Author
Time

Originally posted by: MTHaslett
Really? How does it all end?

Doesn't matter to me. I don't need a tidy ending. Just a great story. In 1977, it was a great story. Truth is, I only really care about the first film. Empire is just ok. You can already see signs of Lucas over-producing the series in Empire and the plot holes (from changing the story on the fly) are starting to be a problem already.
His weird desire to tie every little detail to some other part of the story or one of the other characters begins in Empire. No need to use your imagination - he'll feed you every thought you need to have. Just sit back and watch all the pretty colors. In Empire, he also changed over to the weird incest angle - brother falling for sister while they both battle dad. He had nowhere to go at the end of Star Wars. It was a complete story. Further proof that there was no giant, double trilogy in 1977 - just one really great story. He should have walked away then and left his credibility intact.
Forum Moderator
Author
Time
Actually, the sister thing was thought up on the fly during ROTJ. It was never brought up in Empire.
Author
Time
If I were to watch a sitting of the film, I would watch Phantom Menace, the 2nd half of AOTC, ROTS, Star Wars, Empire and ROTJ from the moment Han unfreezes on.
The Jedi are all but extinct.......
Author
Time

I gotta shoot you a NO on that one. It's crap.

While I don't think it's total crap, I agree. If I wanted to watch the strongest of the six films, I'd sit down and watch 3-5. Just leave it all up to my imagination how it all turns out.
The Jedi are all but extinct.......
Author
Time

Originally posted by: ChainsawAsh
Actually, the sister thing was thought up on the fly during ROTJ. It was never brought up in Empire.

Not directly, but the whole scene where Luke's leaving Dagobah and Ben says "that boy is our last hope" to which Yoda replies "no, there is another".... - that's certainly a foreshadowing of the incest weirdness. Lucas was already losing what little storyline he had and was setting up for the next wave of downsizing the whole story. All that was left was to unnecessarily tie up a few more non-existent loose ends so that the story was even less of an outer space adventure from far far away.

Forum Moderator
Author
Time
i'm not 100% sure but i'm pretty sure it's documented somewhere that Lucas made up the Luke/Leia thing specifcially for Jedi. so when yoda says "no, there is another," i always got the sense that Lucas was just riffing there, leaving a big question/doorway open for possible use in Jedi.

and as I'm fascinated by this opinion that empire is just "okay" and the only good movie was ANH, i'll bite: exactly what about Empire made the story require less imagination? if anything, i've always felt empire is the ideal example of a sequel that expands a film universe instead of reducing it through cliche and repetition.
Pop Geek (my blog)
Entertainment Geekly
Author
Time
By Christmas 2005 I've decided to run a marathon of the whole saga. TV series, Comics, books. All in the correct order which as follows.......

Star Wars Episode I - The Phantom Menace

Star Wars: The Approaching Storm (book)

Star Wars Episode II - Attack of the Clones

Star Wars: Clone Wars Volumes 1 + 2

Star Wars Episode III - Revenge of the Sith

Star Wars Droids Series (TV)

Star Wars Episode IV - A New Hope

Star Wars Holiday Special (TV)

Splinter of the mind's eye (book)

Star Wars Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back

Shadows of the Empire (book)

Tales from Jabba's palace (book)

Star Wars Episode VI - Return of the Jedi

Ewok Adventures (TV)

The Thrawn Trilogy (books)

Inform me if i made a time mistake

"A Jedi can feel the force flow through him".
Author
Time
well, if you're planning to include all the necessary reading in there, you're missing a lot! i've been dipping into EU lately and it is unreal how much stuff...okay, how much CRAP there is out there. although some of it is quite good.
Pop Geek (my blog)
Entertainment Geekly
Author
Time
I am not read that much, 70% of the marathon is really watching TV and 30% reading.
Author
Time
from my own reading adventures, I'll recommend Shatterpoint by Matthew Stover between EpII and EpIII. it's a really neat examination of the cost of the Clone Wars on the Jedi--only essential film character is Mace Windu, but it's a neat book, if a bit over long.

Republic Commando: Hard Target is also terrific--better than shatterpoint--gives you a neat look at the war from the clones' perspective.
Pop Geek (my blog)
Entertainment Geekly
Author
Time
hmm, might look into it.
Author
Time

Originally posted by: DarthAstuart
exactly what about Empire made the story require less imagination?

To me, that's where the story starts to get smaller and more packaged. Han suddenly being a good guy in the military seems wrong. It's not true to the character from the first film. I think the snow battle goes on way too long. I also don't really care for the whole jungle training parts. That said, I think the part where Luke throws his food away after Yoda takes a bite is priceless - he may think the little creature is harmless, but he's not eating after him. In fact, that's the only Yoda part I care for. The characters seem less interesting somehow and the story just feels polished and clean - not distant and adventurous. Some of it could just be the familiarity with the characters. The absolute cheesiest part is R2's smoke screen at the end - please. What if that hadn't worked? - what next - an oil slick for the stormtroopers to fall on?

However, there are some areas of the film that I really like - The asteroid field has a great feel to it. Luke letting go and falling away from Vader as a pure statement of "I won't be beaten by you" is done very well. He looks at Vader, a resolve comes over him, and he lets go.
He makes a decision and is at peace with it. It's without a doubt the best part of the ESB story. That part leads to my favorite scene. When he's hanging under the cloud city - it's a great visual. It feels giant and helpless. Expansive in a way the rest of the movie lacks.

Forum Moderator
Author
Time
wow--i've never seen anyone who's felt so strongly about empire before. Empire! to me, hands down, the best of the SW films, and one of the best movies EVER.

to an extent, I wonder if any sequel could have satisfied your needs. unfortunately, that's the need of a story--to continue the world and answer questions and all that. there's no way the mystery of Star Wars could live once you continue the story past that first film, because to tell a story, you HAVE to eliminate some mystery. i can understand where you're coming from there, and if I didn't like empire, i'd probably feel the same way. (i kinda feel that way about the matrix films, actually.)

re: han--i think his character in the second film is perfectly set up by the first film. he decides to leave, then has second thoughts because (i think) he starts to feel as though he should get involved with this rebellion and that he can't hide from the oppression of the empire and not do anything about it. and he may have assumed a military role between ANH and ESB, but empire finds him wanting to get out of that role--the only thing that keeps him in the mix is running from the empire, then leia. (now as to why he sticks around after being unfrozen from carbonite in ROTJ...who knows.)

story-wise, I think it is the least polished and least clean of any of the SW films. everything goes very WRONG. that's easy to take for granted now that the movie's 25 years old, but that's always struck me as such a ballsy and fierce move. the bad guys win. luke makes a bad decision on his training and faces vader too soon. han's in carbonite. leia, who has now fallen for him, is left alone. lando betrays them. even threepio is shattered to pieces. i certainly don't see that as "polished" or "clean."

and actually, i think that visual motif of your favorite shot of luke hanging on to the weather vane is echoed throughout--the desolation of hoth, the way the AT-ATs dwarf the rebels, the miniscule millennium falcon against the asteroids and star destroyers. it all underlines that sense of failure, of losing, of being overtaken by events and a staggering, massive Empire.
Pop Geek (my blog)
Entertainment Geekly