T4 fanedit is finished!!
what kind of fanedit: TF
fanedit synopsis (aka what is this fanedit about):
Simply put: a better version of Terminator Salvation... hopefully.
Aside from the newly created opening and changed ending, this fanedit removes Kyle from Skynet's hitlist and makes John enemy number 1. Skynet doesn't know about Kyle's importance. It only knows about John Connor because of his radio broadcasts that inspire people and spread hope among humanity. Skynet sees this as a potential risk and wants him terminated. Sarah Connor's original tape message has been restored. Marcus has been given some flashbacks to slowly reveal his past. Tried to have the various Terminators appear more menacing and dangerous, and cut most of their illogical actions. Last but not least are little cuts and changes in various sequences throughout the movie.
original film name: Terminator Salvation
new film name : Terminator Salvation - T-HOPE Edition
film studio name : Halcyon Company / Warner Bros / Columbia Pictures / Sony Pictures
edit crew name : T-HOPE
Date Original Film Was Released : 21 May 2009
Date Edit Was Released : 18 July 2010
Original Runtime : 115 min | 118 min (director's cut)
New Runtime : 109 min
Amount of time Cut/Added : Cut 9 minutes (most likely more since I also added some new footage). See cutlist for details.
- Terminator 4: Hope Of The Future - Epic Trailer; the fantrailer that inspired this fanedit.
Purpose of this edit:
Terminator Salvation was an incredibly disappointing movie. The story was weak, very flawed. The logic didn’t make sense. The Terminators weren’t dangerous, they were only throwing people around. Skynet knowing about Kyle Reese (and when he was captured, not even killing him) was a huge letdown storywise. Shortly: very disappointing movie.
This fanedit tries to improve the movie. I don’t think Terminator Salvation can be saved, or turned into a good movie, worthy of being part of the Terminator saga. It will remain a very flawed and disappointing movie. However, this fanedit tries to make it watchable at least.
Editing Details (how did you do it):
It took a lot of planning, specially gathering the clips for the intro. And then it was simply just do it. I always hate the 5.1 audio mixing in the process of creating a fanedit (specially when you create your own scenes from scratch), so extra motivation was needed for that phase. But in the end, I knew my fanedit would be better then the theatrical cut (I’m not ego-tripping here, but the official cut is so incredible bad that almost anything is better), so I had to release it!!
The Director’s Cut of Terminator Salvation has been used for this fanedit.
Cuts removed/added/extended (add list of what was changed):
- Created new intro "Echoes from the past." Dr. Silberman and Miles Dyson both have a form of cameo, creating a nice link to the previous Terminator movies.
- Created new intro titles that shows the results of the nuclear fires, humanity's struggle after it, the first attack by machines and a nightly fight between men and machine. Added Edgen's Terminator Theme performed by Justin R. Durban.
- Removed missile POV, start with explosion.
- Removed the T-600 attacking John Connor. If a Terminator pops up behind you, you should be dead as its mechanical hand should already been ripping out your heart.
- Cut Ashdown calling John a prophesized leader. Cut Resistance Command knowing about Kyle Reese and his importance. John Connor is number one on the hitlist. Changed dialogue so Losenko says Connor is number one.
- Cut Connor's arrival because it shows a complete airbase with bright lights. The machines should have noticed this and already attacked that base. Unfortunately I couldn't remove these kinds of shots later on in the movie.
- Changed Sarah Connor's message on tape into the original one from 'The Terminator.' Too bad I couldn't change the photograph into the original one.
- Conversation between John and Kate. Cut “Kill Kyle Reese. Reset the future. No John Connor." This line just feels like an insult to the IQ of the fans. Plus I think if John and Kate were living together for over 15 years, this would be already very clear to them and no need to repeat such stuff.
- Tightened up the T-600's attack on Marcus. Cut some staring at each other, T-600 turns around now and immediately starts firing. Cut some of the shooting so it looks like the T-600 is more accurate and Marcus was saved at the last moment by Kyle Reese. Also tightened up Kyle activating the trap for the T-600. Hopefully making the T-600 appear a bit more dangerous. Also cut a little bit of the T-600 shooting its foot to escape the trap.
- Created a "nightmare" flashback sequence in Marcus has some weird flashes of being in jail talking to a woman (Serena) with a sudden and weird ending.
- Cut Aerostat identifying Kyle Reese by name. Also cut some driving and Kyle telling it's the first time ever he's driving a car.
- Cut some dialogue of the meeting between Marcus & co and the people at the gas station (removed "You point that gun at somebody, you better be ready to pull the trigger.").
- After shooting the thug in the knee, Blair doesn't show any pity or remorse for the one who tried to rape her. She doesn't toss her bag with antibiotics to him. Life after Judgment Day is more about survival.
- Removed campfire scene. A fire in such an open place would definitely get the machine's attention. Plus the conversation was really lame.
- Cut first trembling mine when Marcus walks through the minefield. The reveal of Marcus being a hybrid is now much more of a surprise.
- Marcus' face is now shown when he says "My name is Marcus Wright."
- Created dream flash / flashback about Marcus signing away his body to Cyberdyne to reveal his background and complete the flashback series of his past. Somehow this reveal with his screaming works more in an emotional way.
- Cut the 4 (hybrid) silhouettes at Skynet while people are being processed. Also cut Kyle being identified by the machines. He just gets picked out of the row because of his positive skin type.
- Cut John mentioning Kyle to Ashdown while trying to talk Ashdown out of attacking Skynet while there are still prisoners inside.
- Used Connor motivation speech from the theatrical cut.
- Cut Marcus sending Kyle's cell location to John. John just gets the message (could be from Marcus, could be from Skynet--who knows). This also omits having Kyle's name in Skynet's system.
- Removed some of Skynet Serena’s lines. Also removal of any display of Kyle on screen. Couldn’t remove all cringe worthy lines unfortunately.
- Cut John screaming to Star to run away.
- Cut the T-800 throwing John around. John meets the T-800, then fires his gun. That's it.
- Cut T-600 shooting John in the shoulder. Useless part that doesn't get addressed to later on, more a leftover from the original Project Angel act.
- Reconstructed the ending. Marcus dies when the T-800 destroys his heart. Connor only gets scarred, then escapes and flies away while the Skynet building explodes. At the desert camp Kate is sad/emotional because she almost lost John. John gives Kyle his jacket which makes Kyle now a part of the resistance. Kyle Reese buries someone (not John Connor) while discovering the Sarah photograph while John Connor is flown away and gives an (extended) voiceover.
- Added fanedit credits.