TRON: Legacy (ISO Edition)
This is a straightforward fanedit of what has, despite itself, become one of my favourite films of this century. My main goals were threefold:
Expand all scenes on The Grid to 16:9 using the ‘open matte’ version, while keeping all real-world scenes in standard 2.39:1. This better serves to illustrate the transition between worlds, and allows you to ogle all of the lovely set design.
Cut back on Quorra’s doe-eyed devotion to Sam slightly. I’ve always felt this note was hit a little too often and bluntly throughout the film, and this edit attempts to frame her fascination with him as largely synonymous with her wonder at the ‘outside’ world.
De-Disney the final chase scene slightly. In trying to keep with the family-friendly tone, the filmmakers over-compensated somewhat here and detracted from what should be a gripping third act.
- Added overture before opening titles
- Replaced title theme with album version
- Cut a couple of the taxi driver’s lines
- Created bespoke transition from 2.39:1 to 16:9
- Replaced all 2.39:1 scenes on The Grid with 16:9 versions
- Trimmed beat after “Now that’s what I’m talking about!”
- Cut Quorra’s outburst of laughter at dinner
- Cut Quorra’s line “The Purge…”
- Cut Quorra’s line “I guess you could say I’m a rescue.”
- Cut a few quips during the final Lightjet battle (“Oh man, I’m all over this.”, “Nice!” and Quorra’s final “Woo!”)
- Cut Tron’s final line “I fight… for the Users!”, replaced with the Rinzler ‘purr’ distorting then cutting out before he rams CLU
- Cut Sam and Quorra’s exchange about changing the world
- Cut to sunrise as final shot before Quorra gets too dewy-eyed over Sam