My radical ideas to edit (and improve) the Sequel Trilogy:
- The Resistance Isn’t a separate group from the New Republic, but is simply what remains of the New Republic fleet. The New Republic has already been destroyed and overwhelmed by the First Order before TFA, and the Resistance is only what remains of the New Republic fleet.
- Snoke doesn’t exist. The resurrect Palpatine is the direct leader of the First Order and Kylo Ren is his apprentice. The Knights of Ren are basically the equivalent of the old Imperial Guards, but they’re Force-sensitive. Also, the reasons of Palpatine’s resurrection are already explained in TFA. At the time of his first death on the Second Death Star he managed to transfer his spirit to his cloned body on Exegol and so he managed to survive. Just like in Dark Empire.
- Luke and Rey meet in TFA and Luke explains the reasons of his exile to Rey in TFA. At the end of the film we see Rey starting her training with Luke. Between TFA and TLJ a year has passed.
- Luke didn’t exile to escape his responsibilities, but simply because he realized that he failed with Kylo. So he felt the need to exile and meditate to understand what he did wrong, so that he could return to action at a later date, with a clearer mind and clearer ideas. He hadn’t explained to anyone why he exiled, so everyone’s looking for him, but no one knows why he disappeared until he explains his reasons to Rey. Luke made the same mistakes of the old Jedi Order, and after his long exile and his long meditation he understood that the Jedi Order Need to be transformed, he understood that attachments must be allowed and the Jedi must not be too dogmatic and rigid. In other words, he understood that the Jedi Order Need to be transformed into what Luke’s Legends counterpart has managed to do. So, “it’s time for the Jedi to end” turns into “it’s time for the Jedi to change”.
- Rey is nobody. She’s neither a Skywalker nor a Palpatine. Rey is basically the Nomi Sunrider of the Disney Canon.
- Yes, Luke tried to kill Ben Solo in his sleep. Yes, Ben Solo was already corrupted by the Dark Side. But Luke immediately regretted what he did and tried in every way to redeem Ben and bring him back to the Light, but without succeeding. In this way, the fact that he tried to kill him in his sleep is balanced by the fact that he then tried to redeem him in every way and he regretted what he did. So in this way it doesn’t feel out of character. Luke dies against Kylo in the same way we see in the original version of TLJ.
- There are no sacred Jedi texts. Rey is trained by Luke, but she can only draw on his teachings, and there’s no sacred Jedi text that contains forgotten teachings by which Rey can learn how to resurrect people through the Force. So, Rey never learns the power of resurrection through the Force, and so this power doesn’t appear in TROS.
- Leia dies to help Kylo to redeem himself like in the original version of TROS, but Anakin Skywalker’s Force ghost appears and guides Kylo to redemption instead of Han Solo.
- Rey doesn’t kill Palpatine. In the final battle on Exegol Anakin Skywalker’s ghost (played by Hayden Christensen) appears while Rey is unconscious, after which the ghosts of Luke, Obi-Wan, Yoda and Qui-Gon also appear to help Anakin. There’s a clash of Force powers between Palpatine and Anakin’s ghost, and in the end Palpatine dies at the hands of Anakin AGAIN, confirming that he’s the Chosen One.
- Kylo Ren redeems himself and returns to be Ben Solo in the final battle on Exegol. He survives, takes Skywalker as his second surname (becoming Ben Solo Skywalker) and begins training a new generation of Jedi with Rey, putting into practice Luke’s ideas for the change and innovation of the Jedi Order.
These are my radical ideas to change the main plots of the Trilogy. Of course, I also have in mind many radical ideas to change the subplots, but for now I prefer to limit myself to the radical changes for the main plots.