Thank you hinvention for your thoughts! The Kylo voice cutoff was - I’m pretty sure - part of the original, though with how much cutting and moving things around I’ve done, it’s not beyond the realm of possibility that it was a mistake. I’d have to compare them to see.
A couple more loose thoughts, and responses to other feedback in this thread:
- In TLJ, can we also please get a flash of sith eyes when Rey on Ach-To “goes straight to the dark”, to tie back to this?
That’s a nice idea!
- Regarding the tracking device, could we maybe have a cutaway shot of the light turning on (maybe with a ‘turning on’ sound effect), and then when Han’s disabling it, can we do that as a cutaway too (with a ‘turning off’ effect), just to make that point last a little longer?
I’d have to find a view/shot of that area of the ship, and off the top of my head I’m not sure where that could be found. If that were to be found, we’d be in business.
- On BMadden’s idea to retain the shot of the gang member being punched into the rathtar’s mouth: While I do enjoy that shot, I’d argue that the way the scene is cut now, with far less visible rathtars, still works better, to emphasise the ‘unknown fear’ aspect. They’re scarier in your imagination, and them being scary makes this scene more tense (and valuable) than if it’s more of an ‘adventure’ scene evading a clear creature.
That’s where I am on the shot - the longer we linger on/interact with the creatures, the less scary they are.
- On the Jakku colouring, as I said previously I absolutely think that this current version of the film should be considered ‘complete’ and cinema-worthy. It’s certainly not broken anywhere, and the existing grade is fantastic. But if we are thinking about potential tweaks to the Jakku regrade, I’d perhaps retain more blueness in the sky so it’s less blown out, tone the white sand down just a little (so there’s just a hint of yellow-brown), and bring some of the remaining yellow-brown sand shots closer to the new white.
Definitely something to consider for the future, and I agree.
- Counter to hinvention’s opinion, I thought that the changes to the dialogue about the Senate/Hosnian system being targeted really worked.
I agree that it’s not perfect, and if anyone else wants to try to improve the flow of those lines they are welcome to it, but I’ve reached the end of my abilities in that area.